Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Gospel Activities | Eucharist: Thanking God for the Mysterious Justice of Our Redemption + March 17, 2018





When you come to a mystery in what Jesus has said, how do you engage Him? Do you take a moment to pause and ask, "It is, what is it?" or do you move on to something else by brushing it off as "It is what it is"?


“It is what it is” can minimize something in a moment. But “It is, what is it?” understands there are deeper implications. There’s more to discover here. And that’s how we come to these passages about the Eucharist today. … If you’re here today, and some of this mass doesn’t make sense, you’re welcome to stay and ponder with all of us. We’re the crowd in John 6 and the disciples on the road in Luke 24 and all of us are invited to hear what Jesus is talking about in the mysterious gift of His presence for us.

And we can also see how this mystery dynamically impacted St. Patrick's life: A Brief History of St. Patrick and His Lorica

Old Testament Scripture Reading | Psalm 107:1-9
New Testament Sermon Text | John 6:29-35, 41, 43, 47-61, 66-69; Luke 24:15-21, 28-35

 Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Lenten Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Father, Son, and Spirit,
We are people chosen from our generations
to be family, servants, and witnesses.
We are baptised in water and in the Spirit
to proclaim the Good News of
Your Kingdom of justice and righteousness
to people from every tongue and nation.

Response: God of redemption,
we have not lived up to this calling.
Have mercy on Your people gathered before You;
strengthen us in the certainty
of Your forgiveness and enduring love in Christ.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Christ with us, Christ before us,
Christ behind us, Christ in us,
Christ beneath us, Christ above us,
Christ at our right, Christ at our left,
Christ when lying down, Christ in sitting,
Christ in rising up.
Christ in the heart of every person
who thinks of us,
Christ in the mouth of every person
who speaks of us,
Christ in every eye that sees us,
Christ in every ear that hears us. 

Response: We bind to ourselves today
The strong power of an invocation of the Trinity,
The faith of the Trinity in Unity,
The Creator of the Universe.
Salvation is of the Lord,
Salvation is of Christ;
May Your salvation, O Lord,
be with us forever. Amen.

+ St. Patrick’s Lorica, 400s A.D.

Rock of Ages
Augustus M. Toplady
1776 A.D.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All could never sin erase,
Thou must save, and save by grace.

Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

Show Us Christ
By Sovereign Grace Music
2011 A.D.

Prepare our hearts, O God,
Help us to receive.
Break the hard and stony ground,
Help our unbelief.
Plant Your Word down deep in us,
Cause it to bear fruit.
Open up our ears to hear
Lead us in Your truth.

Show us Christ,
Show us Christ!
O God, reveal Your glory
Through the preaching
Of Your Word
Until every heart confesses
Christ is Lord!


Your Word is living light
Upon our darkened eyes,
Guards us through temptations
Makes the simple wise.
Your Word is food
For famished ones,
Freedom for the slave,
Riches for the needy soul;
Come speak to us today.
(Chorus)

Where else can we go, Lord,
Where else can we go?
You have the words of eternal life!
(Chorus)

Lord, I Need You
By Chris Tomlin
2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense,
My righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep,
Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is
Where You are.
And where You are,
Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me!
(Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay.
(Chorus)


Man of Sorrows
By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

Man of sorrows, Lamb of God,
By His own betrayed;
The sin of man and wrath of God
Has been on Jesus laid.

Silent as He stood accused,
Beaten mocked and scorned.
Bowing to the Father's will,
He took a crown of thorns.

Oh that rugged cross,
My salvation,
Where Your love poured out over me!
There You died my death,
Now I share Your life,
What a holy mystery!

Sent of heaven, God's own Son
To purchase and redeem
And reconcile the very ones
Who nailed Him to that tree!
(Chorus)


Offering / Fill Me Up Medley
By Ike Ndolo, Tasha Cobbs
2013 A.D., 2017 A.D.

My hands shake with guilt and shame,
Still You love me, love me.
Your eyes are bright
And shine so full of mercy, mercy.

Jesus, Bread of Life, Bread for all.

This is my offering, this my everything,
The Son of God who bled and died
And rose again for me.

(Repeat)

Your flesh You gave for all
So we could see You, see You.
Your blood poured for all
So we could know You, know You.
(Chorus)

Fill me up
Until I overflow!
I want to run over,
I want to run over!

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 75
1563 A.D.

Q. How does the Lord's supper
signify and seal to you
that you share in
Christ's one sacrifice on the cross
and in all His gifts?

A. In this way:
Christ has commanded me and all believers
to eat of this broken bread
and drink of this cup
in remembrance of Him.
With this command He gave these promises:
First, as surely as I see with my eyes
the bread of the Lord broken for me
and the cup given to me,
so surely was His body offered for me
and His blood poured out for me
on the cross.
Second, as surely as I receive
from the hand of the minister
and taste with my mouth
the bread and the cup of the Lord
as sure signs of Christ's body and blood,
so surely does He Himself
nourish and refresh my soul
to everlasting life
with His crucified body and shed blood.

Matthew 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24;
Luke 22:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-25

Benediction
Based on Matt. 4:1-11, Mark 1:9-15, Luke 4:1-13

Go now, and live in the death and life of your baptism,
even when you are led into wild and hard places.
With repentance and trust, give yourselves to God,
and with fasting and prayer,
strengthen yourselves against the ways of the tempter.
And may God our Father enfold you in tender and lasting love.
May Christ be beside you in times of struggle.
And may the Spirit guide you back to His way whenever you stray.
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord, His people, and His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment