Sunday, March 25, 2018

Gospel Activities | The Kingdom Mass: Seeking Jesus' Peace and Restoration Until He Returns + March 24, 2018





Do they still have weddings in Syria today? Do we believe love and peace are still found in the horror and war? Can we be restored even as we're running for our lives?


It helps, now and then, to step back and take the long view. The Kingdom is not only beyond our efforts, it is even beyond our vision. … We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not our own. 

Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero who sought peace and spoke out against poverty, social injustice, assassinations, and torture, and in 1980, was assassinated while offering Mass in the chapel of the Hospital of Divine Providence

Because Christians believe that the world with all its mess is still the province of God’s reign and ongoing redemption, stepping back in the Kingdom mass is a way of connecting the brokenness of the world to the story of God and discovering the many gifts that story offers to help us understand peace and restoration.

+ Emmanuel Katongole & Chris Rice, Reconciling All Things: A Christian Vision for Justice, Peace and Healing

Jesus takes us in His Spirit, breaks us like the bread, and pours us out like wine, giving our lives in sacrificial love to seek the peace of His world with Him until His Kingdom comes. 

+ Joshua Ryan Butler, The Pursuing God

Old Testament Scripture Reading | Psalm 34:11-18
Sermon Texts Jeremiah 29:7-13; Luke 14:15-23; Jeremiah 31:31-34; Luke 22:14-20; Revelation 19:5-9

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Lenten Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: King Jesus, You are full of grace, peace, and holiness.
Response: We confess that within us there is an abundance of sin, but in You there is the fullness of righteousness. We are spiritually poor, but You are rich in love. Strengthen our faith and trust in You, Jesus, so that the invitation to Your great feast of love and mercy may satisfy us and go out from us to one another, to our neighbors, and to our city.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: King Jesus, thank You that You intercede for us,
feed us, and teach us to continue to pray until You come:

Response: Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name!
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil
For Thine is the Kingdom
and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.

Nothing But the Blood
By Robert Lowry
1876 A.D.

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh! Precious is the flowThat makes me white as snow!
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!


For my pardon, this I see:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
For my cleansing, this I plea,
"Nothing but the blood of Jesus!"
(Refrain)

This is all my hope and peace:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
This is all my righteousness:
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
(Refrain)


Lord, I Need You
By Chris Tomlin
2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense,
My righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep,
Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is
Where You are.
And where You are,
Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me!
(Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay.
(Chorus)


Just a Closer Walk with Thee
African American Spiritual
1800s A.D.

Just a closer walk with Thee, 
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, 
Daily walking close to Thee, 
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be. 

I am weak, but Thou art strong, 
Jesus, keep me from all wrong, 
I’ll be satisfied as long 
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee. 

Through this world of toil and snares, 
If I falter, Lord, who cares? 
Who with me my burden shares? 
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. 

When my feeble life is o’er, 
Time for me will be no more, 
Guide me gently, safely o’er 
To Thy Kingdom's shore, to Thy shore.

Humble
By Audrey Assad
2013 A.D.

Humble and human,
Willing to bend You areFashioned of flesh
And the fire of life You are.
Not too proud to wear our skin,
To know this weary world we're in,
Humble, humble Jesus.

Humble in sorrow,
You gladly carried Your cross
Never refusing Your life
To the weakest of us.
Not too proud to bear our sin,
To feel this brokenness we're in,
Humble, humble Jesus.

We bow our knees,
We must decrease,
You must increase,
We lift You high.


Humble in greatness,
Born in the likeness of man.
Name above all names,
Holding our world in Your hands.
Not too proud to dwell with us,
To live in us, to die for us,
Humble, humble Jesus.
(Chorus)

Humble, You are humble.
Make me humble like You.
We lift You high.

The Feast
By William Gadsby
1838 A.D.

With wondering eyes, Lord we admire
The feast prepared by grace;
Come, Lord, and set our souls on fire,
And fill each heart with peace.
These emblems of Your precious love,
By faith may we receive.
And with a solemn pleasure prove,
We in Your name believe.

We eat this bread,
We drink this wine,
Come give Yourself to us.
We know You’re here,
That’s why we’ve come,
To feast on You with love.


No goodness of our own we bring;
We’re sinners vile and base;
Christ is our all;
Of Christ we sing,
And long to see His face.
O may we each with heart and tongue
Sing, “Worthy is the Lamb!”;
To Him alone the praise belongs,
And we’ll adore His name.
(Chorus)

King of My Heart
By John Mark McMillan
and Sarah McMillan
2015 A.D.

Let the King of my heart
Be the mountain where I run,
The fountain I drink from;
Oh He is my song.

Let the King of my heart
Be the shadow where I hide,
The ransom for my life;
Oh, He is my song!


You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!

Let the King of my heart
Be the wind inside my sails,
The anchor in the waves;
Oh, He is my song.

Let the King of my heart
Be the fire inside my veins,
And the echo of my days;
Oh, He is my song!
(Chorus)

You’re never gonna let,
Never gonna let me down!
You’re never gonna let, 
Never gonna let me down!
You’re never gonna let, 
Never gonna let me down!
You’re never gonna let, 
Never gonna let me down!

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 38
2008 A.D.

Q. What does Jesus provide us in
the meal the we eat to remember His
death until He comes again with His Kingdom?

A. In the Lord’s Supper, Christ offers
His own crucified body and shed blood
to His people, assuring us a share
in His death and resurrection.
By the Holy Spirit, He feeds us
with His resurrection life
and binds us to each other
as we share one loaf and cup.
We receive this food of Him
and from Him gladly,
believing, as we eat,
that Jesus is our life-giving
Bread of Life and Vine
and that He will come again
to call us to the wedding feast of the Lamb.

Matthew 26:17-29; John 6:48-58;
1 Corinthians 5:7-8, 8:1-13;
1 Corinthians 10:14-21,11:23-26;
Revelation 19:5-9


Benediction

May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial escapes so that you may plunge deep within your heart to discover Christ's cruciform love for you and through you for others.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer pain, rejection, hunger, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them, praying and seeking to turn their pain into joy through Christ and His resurrection life.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice and freedom, and seek the peace of Christ and His Kingdom coming.

And may God bless you with enough holy foolishness to believe by His Spirit that you can make a difference in the world with Him as you declare and demonstrate the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Go forth in His grace and peace.

Adapted from Franciscan Benediction

No comments:

Post a Comment