Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Gospel Identities | Baptized and Sent as the Spirit's' Beloved Witnesses + February 24, 2018






Are You Curious About What It Means to be a Witness of Jesus and His Kingdom?


What if being a witness of Jesus is living life a bit like Curious George? What if his theme song was ours in relation to life in Worcester?


You never do know what's around the bend, a big adventure or a brand new friend, when you're curious ...  When everyday (everyday!) is so glorious (glorious!) then everything (everything!) is so wondrous (wondrous!)! There's more to explore when you open your door and meet friends like this. You just can't miss (Whoa!)! Get curious (curious!) and that's marvelous (marvelous!)! And that's your reward, you'll never be bored if you ask yourself, “What is this?” ... 

Here are links to stories that provide an example of being a witness of Jesus among people similar to those we love and live alongside in Worcester:

A Gospel Story in a McDonald's  
A Gospel Story with a Refugee Family  
A Gospel Story among a City Group  
A Gospel Story within a Church Community

Old Testament Scripture Reading
 
Psalm 91:1, 14-17
New Testament Sermon Text Matthew 3:12-4:25

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Lenten Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

One: Holy God, wash us thoroughly of our iniquity
and cleanse us from our sin; for our transgressions
are ever before us and
we have done what is evil in Your sight.

All: You desire truth in our inward being,
yet we turn our backs on the wisdom
You would impart in our hearts.
Forgive our sins.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

One: Create in us a clean heart, O God,
and put Your new and right Spirit within us.
Do not cast us away from Your presence,
and do not take your Holy Spirit from us.
Lead us in Your paths anew
that we might teach transgressors Your ways
and lead sinners to return to You.
And when we fall short, we confess that:

All: In You, Jesus, we are seen, called,
saved, loved and forgiven! Amen.

By Aaron Keyes, Sandra McCracken,
and Urban Doxology
2017 A.D.

If You don't build it, we labor in vain.
Without Your Spirit, we stand with no strength.
I know my life is passing away,
But the works of Your hands will remain.

Let the favor of the LORD rest upon us.
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands! 


Teach us to number the length of our days.
Pour out Your power, we'll pour out Your praise.
Teach us to run, to finish the race,
For only what's done in love will remain.
(Chorus)

Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia!


Holy Spirit
By Jesus Culture
2014 A.D.

There's nothing worth more
That could ever come close,
No thing can compare,
You're our living hope,
Your presence, Lord!

I've tasted and seen
Of the sweetest of loves,
When my heart becomes free
And my shame is undone,
Your presence, Lord!

Holy Spirit,
You are welcome here,
Come flood this place
And fill the atmosphere.
Your glory God is
What our hearts long for,
To be overcome by
Your presence, Lord.

Let us become
More aware of Your presence!
Let us experience
The glory of Your goodness!

By Katharina A. von Schlegel
1752 A.D.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on your side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to your God to order and provide;
In every change, He will remain.

Be still, my soul: your God will undertake
To guide the future, as in ages past.
Your hope, your mind, your will let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrows forgot, love's joys restored.

Be still my soul! (repeat)
And praise Him! (repeat)

Hillsong United
2016 A.D.

You were the Word at the beginning,
One With God the Lord Most High.
Your hidden glory in creation
Now revealed in You our Christ.

What a beautiful name it is,
What a beautiful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a beautiful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a beautiful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


2nd chorus: wonderful name
3rd chorus: powerful name 

You didn't want heaven without us,
So Jesus, You brought heaven down.
My sin was great, Your love was greater,
What could separate us now.
(Wonderful Name Chorus)

Death could not hold You,
The veil tore before You,
You silenced the boast of sin and grave!
The heavens are roaring
The praise of Your glory,
For You are raised to life again!
You have no rival, You have no equal!
Now and forever, our God reigns!
Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory,
Yours is the name above all names!
(Powerful Name Chorus)


Yes Lord, Yes | In My Weakness Gospel Medley
By Lynn Keesecker and Stephanie Robinson
1983 A.D., 1994 A.D.

I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
To Your will and to Your way!
I’ll say yes, Lord, yes
I will trust You and obey!
When Your Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I’ll agree,
And my answer will be
Yes Lord, yes!

In my weakness
You my God are strong.
In my trials, You are my song.
I fall on my knees, I can’t go on,
But in my weakness,
You my God are strong.

By Tasha Cobbs & Will Reagan
2013 & 2015 A.D.

There is power
In the name of Jesus (x3)
...
To break every chain (x3)!

All sufficient sacrifice,
So freely given, such a price
Bought My redemption,
Heaven's gates swing wide.

There's an army rising up (x3)
...
To break every chain (x3)!

You provide the fire,
I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit,
I will open inside.

Fill me up, God (x3)
...
Fill me up.

Love of God, overflow.
Permeate all my soul.

Fill me up
Until I overflow!
I want to run over,
I want to run over!


Our World Belongs to God: The Church,
the Spirit's Kingdom Ambassadors (30)
2008 A.D.

Q. What does the Holy Spirit
equip us to do in Jesus' name?

A. The Spirit gathers people
from every tongue, tribe, and nation
into the unity of the body of Christ.
Anointed and sent by the Spirit,
the Church is sent into the world,
ambassadors of God’s peace,
announcing forgiveness and reconciliation,
proclaiming the Good News of grace.
Going before us and with us,
the Spirit convicts the world of sin
and pleads the cause of Christ.
Men, women, and children,
filled with the Spirit, go next door
and far away into science and art,
media and marketplace—every area of life,
pointing to the reign of God
with what they do and say.

Revelation 7:9-10; John 16:7-11;
John 20:21-22; Luke 24:49;
2 Corinthians 5:18-21
Joel 2:28-29; Philippians 1:27-2:11


Benediction

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. + 2 Corinthians 13:14

Next post: Gospel Activities | The Lord's Supper: Beholding Beauty and Offering Repentance 

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike “Sully” Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment