Tuesday, October 24, 2017

James 3:1-12 | Rein in Your Enflamed Words and Release the Reign of Jesus' Fresh Words + October 21, 2017


Book cover for Luke Timothy Johnson's Brother of Jesus, Friend of God






Fight bravely, for habit overcomes habit. + Thomas a Kempis

Bible Passages | Matthew 12:33-37; James 3:1-12

Scripture Reading | Proverbs 12:6, 15:4, 18:21

Previous sermons and liturgies in James

James 1:1-4, 12-18: Count It All Joy with Jesus
James 1:5-8; 3:13-18: Ask for Jesus' Wisdom  
James 1:9-11; 2:1-13; 5:1-6: Pour Out Jesus' Generous Justice  
James 1:19-27; 4:13-17: Be Quick to Hear and Slow to Speak in Light of Jesus
+ James 1:18-22; 2:14-26: Reveal Faith in Jesus' Grace Through Works of Faith that Require Jesus' Power 

Leaving out hard phrases (in the Scriptures) is an intoxicating experience. It is indeed the case that oddities in a text could indicate corruption; but it is far more likely that the more difficult reading indicates authenticity. + Scot McKnight 

Just as in learning a language, you need to capture and examine your thoughts to see if they line up with the Gospel, then bring them into submission to Christ by regularly rehearsing the truths of the Gospel to yourself over and over again. Ask these questions:

Is this (thought, emotion, motive, word) true or a lie? Is this from God or someone else?  
What am I hoping in right now? What do I believe this hope promises to give me? 
Why am I considering these words? What will be their outcome? 
How did Jesus do better for me? How did He speak a better word over me?

+ Jeff Vanderstelt, Gospel Fluency

Of all the needs a lonely child has, the one that must be satisfied, if there is going to be hope and hope of wholeness, is the unshaken need for an unshakable God. + Maya Angelou, poet and Civil Rights activist

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester


Prayer of Confession and Assurance

Leader: Jesus calls His Church to follow Him, speaking His Good News and standing by those who suffer and are in need, so that justice may roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream. Let us confess the ways in which we do not follow God’s call.

One: You speak for the downtrodden and give to and protect the stranger.
All: Forgive us when we do not follow You.


One: You block evildoers and help orphans and widows.
All: Forgive us when we do not follow You.

One: You speak against and condemn those who seek their own interests, controlling and harming others.
All: Forgive us when we do not follow you.

One: You bring about justice and true peace among people by Your words and deeds.
All: God, forgive us when we do not follow You. Grant us Your grace. Embolden us that, as Your people, we may speak as You do,
do as You do, and stand where You stand with others.


Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Leader: God’s life-giving Word and Spirit enable us to live in a new obedience, opening new possibilities of life for society and the world. Thanks be to God for the Good News:

All: In Jesus Christ, we are forgiven!

Father Let Your Kingdom Come
By Urban Doxology, Liz Vice, and Latifah Alattas (Page CXVI) 
2017 A.D.  

Hallelu! Hallelujah! 
Father, let Your Kingdom come! (x4)

May the works of my hands 
Bring You joy. (x4 + Chorus

May the words of my mouth
Speak Your peace. (x4 + Chorus

You make all things new,
You make all things new
In places we don't choose,
You make all things new! (Chorus

Show Us Christ
By Sovereign Grace Music
2011 A.D.

Prepare our hearts, O God,
Help us to receive.
Break the hard and stony ground,
Help our unbelief.
Plant Your Word down deep in us,
Cause it to bear fruit.
Open up our ears to hear
Lead us in Your truth.

Show us ChristShow us Christ!
O God, reveal Your glory
Through the preaching
Of Your Word
Until every heart confesses
Christ is Lord!

Your Word is living light
Upon our darkened eyes,
Guards us through temptations
Makes the simple wise.
Your Word is food
For famished ones,
Freedom for the slave,
Riches for the needy soul;
Come speak to us today.
(Chorus)

Where else can we go, Lord,
Where else can we go?
You have the words of eternal life!
(Chorus)


So Will I (100 Billion X)
By Hillsong United
2017 A.D.

God of creation,
There at the start
Before the beginning of time.
With no point of reference,
You spoke to the dark
And fleshed out the wonder of light.

And as You speak
A hundred billion galaxies are born.
In the vapour of Your breath the planets form.
If the stars were made to worship so will I.
I can see Your heart in everything You’ve made,
Every burning star a signal fire of grace.
If creation sings Your praises so will I.


God of Your promise,
You don’t speak in vain,
No syllable empty or void.
For once You have spoken,
All nature and science
Follow the sound of Your voice.

And as You speak
A hundred billion creatures catch Your breath,
Evolving in pursuit of what You said.
If it all reveals Your nature so will I.
I can see Your heart in everything You say,
Every painted sky
A canvas of Your grace.
If creation still obeys You so will I.


If the stars were made to worship so will I!
If the mountains bow in reverence so will I!
If the oceans roar Your greatness so will I!
For if everything exists to lift You high so will I!
If the wind goes where You send it so will I!
If the rocks cry out in silence so will I!
If the sum of all our praises still falls shy
Then we’ll sing again a hundred billion times!

God of salvation,
You chased down my heart
Through all of my failure and pride.
On a hill You created,
The light of the world
Abandoned in darkness to die.


And as You speak,
A hundred billion failures disappear
Where You lost Your life so I could find it here.
If You left the grave behind You so will I!
I can see Your heart in everything You’ve done,
Every part designed in a work of art called love!
If You gladly chose surrender so will I!
I can see Your heart
Eight billion different ways.
Every precious one,
A child You died to save.
If You gave Your life to love them so will I!

Great Are You Lord
By All Sons and Daughters
2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are You, Lord.


It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
Great are You, Lord!”


This Glorious Grace
By Austin Stone Worship
2013 A.D.

God, I need You, 
I need You, I need You,
With every breath, 
Every pulse of my heart.
Christ have mercy, have mercy, 
Let mercy abound,
I need You, I need You now.  

God, pour out Your grace
Glorious grace
That I would be held b
Your perfect embrace!
I am undeserving, 
You are high and worthy,
All of my praise 
For this glorious grace! 

God we're longing, 
We're longing to see You,
In Your presence 
All darkness will fade.
Shine Your glory, Your glory
Let glory surround,
We're longing to see You now.

God, pour out Your grace
Glorious grace
That we would be held b
Your perfect embrace!
We are undeserving, 
You are high and worthy,
All of our praise 
For this glorious grace! 

God, Your grace 
Like rising seas 
Has swallowed death 
And sin in me!
Glory to our God who saves, 
Jesus Christ, our glorious grace!
(2nd Chorus)

God we worship, we worship,
We worship You
For Your glory, our all in all.
You are worthy, You’re worthy,
You’re worthy,
We worship, we worship You.
God we need You,
We need You now.


Que Seas El Autor (You Are the Author)
By Urban Doxology
2014 A.D.

Regálame las palabras.
(Give me the words to worship You.)
No puedo decirlo con mis propias
(Your words teach me to serve You.)
Quiero perderme totalmente.
(Lord, surround me with Your Truth.)
Como las olas de la playa.
(Let Your Word wash me anew.)

Que seas el Autor.
Que escribas por mis venas
Una letra de amor
Y tu perfecta novela.
You are the Author.
Lord, please write within me
A letter of Your love
And a beautiful love story. 


La ley de Dios es buena.
(The law of the Lord is good.)
La ven cuando te acercamos.
(Its light will draw us near to You.)
Quiero que todo que me sale
(I want everything I say)
Que tu nombre lo levante
(To lift up Your Holy name.)
(Chorus)

Belgic Confession Article 24
1561 A.D.

We believe that this true faith in Jesus Christ,

produced in us by the hearing of God’s Word
and by the work of the Holy Spirit,
regenerates us and makes us new creatures, 1
causing us to live a new life 2
and freeing us from the slavery of sin.
...
It is impossible
for this holy faith to be unfruitful in a human being,
seeing that we do not speak of an empty faith
but of what Scripture calls
“faith working through love,” 3
which moves us to do
the works that God has commanded
in the Word.

1 2 Corinthians 5:17
2 Romans 6:4
Galatians 5:6

Benediction

May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. + 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17


+ Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment