Saturday, April 10, 2021

Eastertide Unhinged Resurrection Hope Series Message + Mass | Philippians 3:10-11: Known Hope


Resurrection by Magnus 3D

To risk joy requires hope. And hope is the opposite of anxiety. I am habitually anxious. I catastrophize. I plan for the worst. This habit leads me to, as they say in the South, "borrow trouble." Horrors could happen, so I start mourning them ahead of time – it's never too early to get a jump start on misery. To hope is to "borrow grace." It is not naive optimism. Hope admits the truth of our vulnerability. It does not trust God to keep all bad things from happening. But it assumes that redemption, beauty, and goodness will be there for us, whatever lies ahead. + Tish Harrison Warren, Prayer in the Night


We open our eyes to see Jesus' glory.
We open our ears to hear Jesus' wisdom.
We open our hands to offer Jesus gifts.
We open our mouths to sing Jesus' praise.
We open our hearts to offer Jesus our love.

Story of God Liturgy Flow
Creation, Crisis, Covenant Community, Christ, Church, (New) Creation


(1) Creation


Call to Worship | Psalm 114:2-3, 7-8

The land of Judah became God’s sanctuary, and Israel became His Kingdom. The Red Sea saw them coming and hurried out of their way! The water of the Jordan River turned away. ... Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the LORD, at the presence of the God of Jacob. He turned the rock into a pool of water; yes, a spring of water flowed from solid rock.

Phil Wickham, 2018 A.D.

How great the chasm that lay between us,
How high the mountain I could not climb.
In desperation, I turned to heaven
And spoke Your name into the night. 
Then through the darkness, Your loving-kindness
Tore through the shadows of my soul.
The work is finished, the end is written, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Who could imagine so great a mercy?
What heart could fathom such boundless grace?
The God of ages stepped down from glory 
To wear my sin and bear my shame. 
The cross has spoken, I am forgiven, 
The King of kings calls me His own. 
Beautiful Savior, I’m Yours forever, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free! 
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me! 
You have broken every chain, there’s salvation in Your name,
Jesus Christ, my living hope!

Then came the morning that sealed the promise, 
Your buried body began to breathe.
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me! (Repeat) . . . 

Jesus, Yours is the victory! 
(Chorus)

(2) Crisis


Prayer of Confession + Assurance | Our World Belongs to God (58)

Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us sinners ...

One: With the whole creation we join the song:

All: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” 
He has made us a Kingdom of priests to serve our God, and we will reign on earth.

One: God will be all in all, righteousness and peace will flourish, everything will be made new, and every eye will see at last that our world belongs to God. 

All: Hallelujah! Come, Lord Jesus!

(3) Covenant Community



Sermon Scriptures | Philippians 3:10-11
 
(4) Christ



One: We eat this meal together to remember Jesus' death for us until He returns to fully bring His Kingdom of heaven to earth. 

All: Christ has died. Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

(5) Church


Christ Is Risen
Matt Maher, 2009 A.D.

Let no one caught in sin remain 
Inside the lie of inward shame,
But fix our eyes upon the cross 
And run to Him who showed great love 
And bled for us. Freely, You've bled for us.

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling over death by death! 
Come awake, come awake, come and rise up from the grave! 
Christ is risen from the dead, we are one with Him again! 
Come awake, come awake, come and rise up from the grave!

Beneath the weight of all our sin, 
You bowed to none but heaven's will. 
No scheme of hell, no scoffer's crown,
No burden great can hold You down.
In strength You reign, 
Forever let Your Church proclaim! 
(Chorus)

O death, where is your sting? O hell, where is your victory? 
O Church, come stand in the light,
The glory of God has defeated the night!
O death, where is your sting? O hell, where is your victory? 
O Church, come stand in the light,

Our God is not dead! He's alive! He's alive! 
(Chorus)

(6) New Creation


Glorious Day
Passion, 2017 A.D.

I was buried beneath my shame. 
Who could carry that kind of weight? 
It was my tomb 'til I met You!

I was breathing, but not alive. 
All my failures I tried to hide. 
It was my tomb 'til I met You!

You called my name and I ran out of that grave,
Out of the darkness into Your glorious day! (Repeat)


Now Your mercy has saved my soul.
Now Your freedom is all I know.
The old made new, Jesus, when I met You. 
(Chorus 2x)

I needed rescue, my sin was heavy,
But chains break at the weight of Your glory! 
I needed shelter, I was an orphan,
Now You call me a citizen of heaven!
When I was broken, You were m y healing! 
Now Your love is the air that I'm breathing! 
I have a future, my eyes are open
Because when You called my name,
I ran out of that grave!

Benediction 

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you 
until He returns to make all things new.

Lectionary Readings
 

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment