Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Haggai 1:7-15: God Wants to Stir Us Up for More + July 22, 2017




God stamps His glory on the earth through forming and filling (Herman Bavinck); He creates and releases human beings to realize who they were made to be. When we worship and celebrate God, His good news reforms our identity and then spills over and fills every area of our lives. The Old Testament notion of wisdom is to understand the way God forms the world, and then conform our lives to the way He's wonderfully ordered the world. + Dr. Michael Goheen

Often those who affirm God’s providence sink into a sort of passive, sometimes almost fatalistic mode where we are “waiting on God to act.” This contradicts that the “God in whom we confess faith invites us to participate with Him in the completion of His promise and purpose for the world.” His preferred method of getting things done is to work with and through His image bearers. We aren’t spectators to what God is doing in the world, but participants. Right from the beginning and still today, He is fulfilling His great plan for the world through our actions and efforts. + Carolyn Custis James

Bible Passages | Haggai 1:7-15
By All Sons and Daughters
2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are YouLord.

It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
Great are YouLord!”

2nd Reading: Psalm 96:1-6

By Kofi Thompson & Crown and Glory
2006 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!
Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

Elohim! Adonai!
Elohim! You are the most high God!

By Ike Ndolo
2013 A.D.

My hands shake with guilt and shame,
Still You love me, love me.
Your eyes are bright
And shine so full of mercy, mercy.

Jesus, Bread of Life, Bread for all.

This is my offering, this my everything,
The Son of God who bled and died
And rose again for me.

Your flesh You gave for all
So we could see You, see You.
Your blood poured for all
So we could know You, know You.
(Chorus)

Fall Afresh
By Jeremy Riddle
2011 A.D.

Awaken my soul, come awake
To hunger, to seek, to thirst.
Awaken first love, come awake
And do as You did at first.
Spirit of the Living God,
Come fall afresh on me,
Come wake me from my sleep.
Blow through the caverns of my soul,
Pour in me to overflow,
To overflow.

Awaken my soul, come awake
To worship with all Your strength.
(Chorus)

Come and fill this place,

Let Your glory now invade!
Spirit, come and fill this place,
Let Your glory now invade!
(Chorus)

You Never Change

By Austin Stone Worship
2014 A.D.

Oh may I run to no other refuge,
No other rest for my soul.
Oh may I drink from
No other fountain
Where living waters will flow.
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!

You are my life, may You be lifted high!
There is no other like Jesus Christ!
You are my story! You’re my everything!
You are my glory, my God, and my King!
You are my Rock, and You never change!

No other power can break the darkness,
No other hand that can save.
Forever faithful, Your love is stronger,
I trust in no other name!
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!
(Chorus)

My strength to stand, 
All of my days are in Your hand.
My light to see,
Your glory goes before me.
My King, You reign!
My Rock, and You never change!
No, You never change!
(Chorus)

By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

My hope is built on nothing less

Than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus' name.

Christ alone, cornerstone,
Weak made strong
In the Savior's love.
Through the storm,
He is LordLord of all!

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
My anchor holds within the veil!
(Chorus)

Then He shall come with trumpets sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found!
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless, stand before the throne!

ApostlesCreed 
390 A.D.

I believe in God,
the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ,
His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen. 

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established
and continues to build by His
grace, truth, and resurrection power. 

Prayer of Confession

Leader: Yahweh, You do not change. You have revealed Yourself to us in Your Word. You call us to worship You in spirit and in truth.
All: But we confess we often worship a god made in our image and who we wish You to be.
Leader: We frequently ask You to bless what we do, rather than seeking to do what You bless.
All: Forgive us for seeking concessions when we should be seeking guidance.
Leader: You command us to be generous with our love and resources for the sake of the Gospel of Your Kingdom to be known; for Your people, our neighbors, and our enemies to be loved in word and deed; and for the world to experience Your joy and justice.
All: But we have been selfish and insensitive to the needs and opportunities around us.
Leader: Redeem us, set us free, and display Your glory before us that we might walk in Your ways.
All: And may our lives come under Your good and perfect reign as we live for You now and forever in Christ. Amen. 

Benediction

May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. + Number 6:24-26

Next post: Haggai 2:1-9: God Will Shake Heaven and Earth to Bring Us Peace

Previous sermons and liturgies in Haggai series:

Haggai Preview: God Has a Name and He is Who He Will Always Be for Us
Haggai 1:1: God Is Here and He Is Speaking. Are You Ready to Listen?
Haggai 1:2-7: Consider How God Gives You More

+ Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment