Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Haggai 1:2-7: Consider How God Gives You More + July 15, 2017



The theme of justice runs through the prophecy of Haggai, but unlike such books as Hosea, Amos and Malachi, Haggai does not speak about injustice toward fellow human beings. Rather, the prophet Haggai levels one significant charge: the people of God are collectively guilty of injustice toward God. William E. Gladstone, British prime minister four times in the nineteenth century, is reputed with the saying, "Justice delayed is justice denied." Injustice typically occurs because of systemic and individual acts of wrongful violence and corruption. Haggai shows us that injustice can also arise from a sense of misplaced priorities, procrastination and benign neglect.

The Judeans have misplaced priorities. They are busy, but selfishly so: consumed by the pursuit of the good life, while neglecting the most important purpose of which God brought them back to Jerusalem. Instead of rebuilding the temple, and so restoring the worship of Yahweh in the world, they build and beautify their own homes and unjustly deny God his honor. Jesus taught his disciples to prioritize: "Seek first (God's) kingdom and his righteousness" (Matthew 6:33). For the same reason Paul taught: "Make the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:16). God's judgments are always tempered with mercy, so it is in his mercy that Yahweh reaches out to his neglectful people through the prophetic messages of Haggai, challenging them to do justice to their calling for the world. 


Ivor Pooblan is principal of Colombo Theological Seminary, which is currently training over one thousand Christian leaders through ten study centers countrywide. He is passionate about training and supporting Christian leaders to be involved in facilitating postwar rehabilitation and reconciliation, empowering poorer communities and responding wisely to mounting religious violence.



Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church


The Lord's Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those
Who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil.
(For Thine is the Kingdom,
The power and the glory now and forever and ever. Amen.)
+ Matthew 6:9-13

By Robert Robinson
1758. A.D.

Come Thou fount of every blessing, 
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace. 
Streams of mercy never ceasing 
Call for songs of loudest praise. 
Teach me some melodious sonnet 
Sung by flaming tongues above. 
I'll praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it;
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by thy help I come.
And I hope by thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wondering from the fold of God.
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood. 

O to grace how great a debtor 
Daily I'm constrained to be! 
Let Thy goodness like a fetter, 
Bind my wandering heart to Thee!
Prone to wander Lord I feel it, 
Prone to leave the God I love!
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, 
Seal it for Thy courts above!

Wondrous Love
By Anonymous
1811 A.D.


What wondrous love is this,
O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this,
O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul. 

When I was sinking down,
Sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down,
Sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown
For my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown
for my soul. 

To God and to the Lamb,
We will sing, we will sing;
To God and to the Lamb
We will sing.
To God and to the Lamb
Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing, we will sing;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing. 

And when from death we're free,
We'll sing on, we’ll sing on;
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing on.
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity we’ll sing on,
We’ll sing on,
And through eternity we’ll sing on.


Before the Throne of God Above
Charitie Lees Bancroft
1860 A.D.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands!
My name is written on His heart!
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free!
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased by His blood!
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God!
With Christ my Savior and my God!


Be Thou My Vision
St. Dallán Forgaill 
6
th Century


Be Thou my Vision,
O Lord of my heart.
Naught be all else to me,
Save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought,
By day or by night
Waking or sleeping,
Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom,
And Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and
Thou with me, Lord.
Thou my great Father,
I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling,
And I with Thee one.
Riches I heed not,
Nor man’s empty praise.
Thou mine inheritance,
Now and always!
Thou and Thou only,
First in my heart,
High King of Heaven,
My Treasure Thou art!
High King of Heaven,
My victory won!
May I reach Heaven’s joys,
O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart,
Whate’er befall,
Still be my Vision,
O Ruler of all!

In Tenderness He Sought Me
By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!
Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)


It Is Well with My Soul
By Horatio Spafford
1876 A.D.


When peace like a river,
Attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say
“It is well, it is well, with my soul!”

It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul),
It is well, it is well, with my soul!


Though Satan should buffet,
Though trials should come,
Let this bless’d assurance control
That Christ has regarded
My helpless estate and
Hath shed His own blood for my soul!
(Refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss
Of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross,
And I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord,
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

And Lord haste the day
When my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound,
And the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul!
(Refrain)

New City Catechism Q & A 1
Q. What is our only hope
in life and in death?

A. 
That we are not our own,1
but belong, body and soul,
both in life and death2
to God and to our faithful
Savior Jesus Christ.3


Prayer of Confession

Leader: Yahweh, You do not change. You have revealed Yourself to us in Your Word. You call us to worship You in spirit and in truth.
All: But we confess we often worship a god made in our image and who we wish You to be.
Leader: We frequently ask You to bless what we do, rather than seeking to do what You bless.
All: Forgive us for seeking concessions when we should be seeking guidance.
Leader: You command us to be generous with our love and resources for the sake of the Gospel of Your Kingdom to be known; for Your people, our neighbors, and our enemies to be loved in word and deed; and for the world to experience Your joy and justice.
All: But we have been selfish and insensitive to the needs and opportunities around us.
Leader: Redeem us, set us free, and display Your glory before us that we might walk in Your ways.
All: And may our lives come under Your good and perfect reign as we live for You now and forever in Christ. Amen. 

Benediction

May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. + Number 6:24-26

Previous sermons and liturgies in Haggai series:
Haggai Preview: God Has a Name and He is Who He Will Always Be for Us
Haggai 1:1: God Is Here and He Is Speaking. Are You Ready to Listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment