Sunday, April 18, 2021

Eastertide Unhinged Resurrection Hope Series Message + Mass | Acts 24:14-15, 21: God-Focused Hope

 

Resurrection by Magnus 3D

We are formed through suffering and death, but it does not define us. Resurrection defines our life, death, and life after death. We are resurrection people. + Rich Rivera


We open our eyes to see Jesus' glory.
We open our ears to hear Jesus' wisdom.
We open our hands to offer Jesus gifts.
We open our mouths to sing Jesus' praise.
We open our hearts to offer Jesus our love.

Story of God Liturgy Flow
Creation, Crisis, Covenant Community, Christ, Church, (New) Creation


(1) Creation


Call to Worship | Psalm 4:6-8

Many people say, “Who will show us better times?” Let Your face smile on us, LORD . Y ou have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for You alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. 

Charles Wesley, 1708 A.D.

Christ the Lord is risen today, Alleluia!
Earth and heaven in chorus say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth reply, Alleluia!

Love's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!
Death in vain forbids Him rise, Alleluia!
Christ has opened paradise, Alleluia!

Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once He died our souls to save, Alleluia!
Where's thy victory, boasting grave? Alleluia!

Soar we now where Christ has led, Alleluia!
Following our exalted Head, Alleluia!
Made like Him, like Him we rise, Alleluia!
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!

(2) Crisis


Prayer of Confession + Assurance | Our World Belongs to God (58)

Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us sinners ...

One: With the whole creation we join the song:

All: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” 
He has made us a Kingdom of priests to serve our God, and we will reign on earth.

One: God will be all in all, righteousness and peace will flourish, everything will be made new, and every eye will see at last that our world belongs to God. 

All: Hallelujah! Come, Lord Jesus!

(3) Covenant Community



Sermon Scriptures | Acts 24:14-15, 21
 
Sermon Quote

Without an identity grounded in Jesus Christ, I will view myself primarily as a victim or villain. But if I understand myself as a saint who suffers and a saint who sins, it reorients me. I begin to see, perhaps dimly at first, that my suffering puts in me the closest possible relationship with my Suffering, yet victorious King.

+ Michael Emlet

(4) Christ



One: We eat this meal together to remember Jesus' death for us until He returns to fully bring His Kingdom of heaven to earth. 

All: Christ has died. Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

(5) Church


Phil Wickham, 2018 A.D.

How great the chasm that lay between us,
How high the mountain I could not climb.
In desperation, I turned to heaven
And spoke Your name into the night. 
Then through the darkness, Your loving-kindness
Tore through the shadows of my soul.
The work is finished, the end is written, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Who could imagine so great a mercy?
What heart could fathom such boundless grace?
The God of ages stepped down from glory 
To wear my sin and bear my shame. 
The cross has spoken, I am forgiven, 
The King of kings calls me His own. 
Beautiful Savior, I’m Yours forever, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free! 
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me! 
You have broken every chain, there’s salvation in Your name,
Jesus Christ, my living hope!

Then came the morning that sealed the promise, 
Your buried body began to breathe.
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me! (Repeat) . . . 

Jesus, Yours is the victory! 
(Chorus)

(6) New Creation


Kofi Thompson & Crown and Glory, 2006 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!
Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

Elohim! Adonai!
Elohim! You are the most high God!

Benediction 

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you 
until He returns to make all things new.

Lectionary Readings
 

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment