Tuesday, August 21, 2018

4 Gs of God Series | Psalm 145:2, 4, 7, 16-20: God is Good: We're Free to Be Satisfied w/ Pastor Tra'Vorus Weaver + Saturday, August 18



Jesus is always good, always present, always loving. With Him, we get what we want and what we need.


Key Question: Where am I hooked? What do I think I need each week in order to be content? How does God's goodness free me instead?

+ Substitute Idol: I am my provider. I always tend to need to create or get the next best thing to be truly satisfied.
+ Worship Response: Life is often wanting. I need another emotional, circumstantial, or chemical high to pick me up. I complain a lot. People around me often feel the burden of needing to meet my needs. I don't tend to be fully committed to anyone for very long, but I tend to get over committed to many things.

+ Jesus: Jesus is God's best gift for me as the Bread of Life and the Vine; satisfaction in His goodness is everlasting because He is making me everlasting as part of His new creation.
+ Worship Response: God is more worthy of my worship because of His goodness, which means I don't have to look anywhere else for my satisfaction. 


Soma Video: Stacy's Story | God is Good (3:51 minutes)

"I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller (G.K. Chesterton)." We invite you to the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Story of God found in the Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to redeem and restore what we have broken; heal us; and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and peace to our world. Check out the Story of God.

Questions as You Consider Jesus

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Homily Scriptures | Psalm 145:2, 4, 7, 16-20

Most High God
Kofi Thompson & Crown of Glory, 2010 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!
Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

You are good and Your mercy is forever,
Hallelujah!

Good, Good Father
Chris Tomlin, 2016 A.D.

Oh, I've heard a thousand stories
Of what they think You're like;
But I've heard the tender whisper
Of love in the dead of night,
And You tell me that You're pleased,
And that I'm never alone.

You're a Good, Good Father,
It's who You are, it's who You are,
It's who You are! And I'm loved by You,
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am!


Oh, I've seen many searching
For answers far and wide;
But I've known we're all searching
For answers only You provide
'Cause You know just what we need
Before we say a word.
(Chorus)

'Cause You are perfect in all of Your ways!
You are perfect in all of your ways!
You are perfect in all of your ways to us!

Oh, it's love so undeniable that I can hardly speak,
Peace so unexplainable that I, I can hardly think.
As You call me deeper still, as You call me deeper still,
As You call me deeper still into Love, Love, Love ...
(Chorus)

10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)
Matt Redman, 2012 A.D.

Bless the Lord, oh my soul,
Oh my soul, worship His holy name!
Sing like never before,
Oh my soul, I'll worship Your holy name.


The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning.
It's time to sing Your song again.
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing when the evening comes!
(Chorus)

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger.
Your name is great and Your heart is kind.
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find!
(Chorus)

And on that day when my strength is failing,
The end draws near and my time has come,
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore!
(Chorus)

Reckless Love
Bethel Music, 2017 A.D.

Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me.
You have been so, so good to me.
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me.
You have been so, so kind to me.

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!
It chases me down, fights 'til I'm found,
Leaves the ninety-nine!
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it,
Still You give Yourself away!
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!


When I was your foe, still Your love fought for me.
You have been so, so good to me.
When I felt no worth, You paid it all for me.
You have been so, so kind to me.
(Chorus)

There's no shadow You won't light up,
Mountain You won't climb up,
Coming after me!
There's no wall You won't kick down,
Lie You won't tear down, coming after me!
(Chorus)


Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer seeking more from Jesus
Jesus, You claim to be the Way,
the Truth and the Life.
If what You claim is true,
please reveal to me who You are.
Give me an understanding of You
that is clear and convincing. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus
Jesus, grant that we may be filled
by You, the true Bread and Vine.
Be present with us, strengthen us,
and empower us to be Your witnesses
together as we seek first Your Kingdom
until You return and make all things new. Amen.

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Homily Prayer of Response
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: God, You are a Good, Good Father.
It is who You are. And You gave us Jesus,
the One who meets our needs and desires and saves us.

Response: Reveal again how You ultimately
satisfy us with Jesus, the Bread of Life and the Vine.
Forgive us for finding our satisfaction in anything less.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: May we turn to You and call on You
to meet our deepest needs, trusting You are faithful
and answer the prayer You taught us:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Benediction 

As Jesus said, "You will receive power
when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be My witnesses ... "
So you are sent out in the strength
and peace of the Holy Spirit of God to
welcome, witness, and worship so
the Gospel Story of God will be heard,
believed, and revealed to many more.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God the Father,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Next sermon audio and liturgy: 4 Gs of God | Psalm 145:2, 8, 13: God is Gracious

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment