Thursday, August 16, 2018

4 Gs of God Series | Psalm 145:2, 4-5, 11-12: God is Glorious: We're Free Not to Fear + Saturday, August 11



Jesus is The Glorious Showman. We can sing, “Jesus with Me.”


I am not a stranger to the dark, hide away, they say 'cause we don't want your broken parts. I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars, run away, they say, no one'll love you as you are. 


(But) He won't let them break me down to dust, He said He’d prepare a place for us for He is glorious!

When the sharpest words want to cut me down, He’s going to send His song, going to sound them out. He is brave, He was bruised, He is who I’m meant to be, Jesus in me. Look out ‘cause here He comes, and He’s marching to the beat of love. He’s not scared to be seen, He makes no apologies, Jesus with me.


Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away 'cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through the barricades and reaching for the Son (We are warriors!) Yeah, that's what we've become (yeah, that's what we've become). ...  

Key Question: Scared? Who or what are you afraid of? How can God's glory bring you courage? 

+ Substitute Idol: I need consistent approval from others so that I don't fear what they think about me.
+ Worship Response: I tend to avoid confrontation and crave acceptance. I behave differently around certain people and often hide my true self. Contentment with life is based on who has complimented me recently. And I often secretly fear what others think of me. I can smother them in this.


+ Jesus: His glory can be my focus, so I don't have to continue to fight for my own glory.
+ Worship Response: I'm set free to give God my worship, to know my infinite worth, and not have to live or die based on others perception of me.


Video: Megan's Story | God is Glorious (3:34 minutes)

"I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller (G.K. Chesterton)." We invite you to the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Story of God found in the Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to redeem and restore what we have broken; heal us; and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and peace to our world. Check out the Story of God.

Questions as You Consider Jesus

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Homily Scriptures | Psalm 145:2, 4-5, 11-12; Exodus 33:14-18; Romans 1:22-23, 3:2315:7; Colossians 1:27; Matthew 5:16; Revelation 1:5-6

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer seeking more from Jesus
Jesus, You claim to be the Way,
the Truth and the Life.
If what You claim is true,
please reveal to me who You are.
Give me an understanding of You
that is clear and convincing. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus
Jesus, grant that we may be filled
by You, the true Bread and Vine.
Be present with us, strengthen us,
and empower us to be Your witnesses
together as we seek first Your Kingdom
until You return and make all things new. Amen.


Be Still My Soul
Katharina A. von Schlegel, 1752 A.D.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on your side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to your God to order and provide;
In every change, He will remain.

Be still, my soul: your God will undertake
To guide the future, as in ages past.
Your hope, your mind, your will let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrows forgot, love's joys restored.

Be still my soul! (repeat)
And praise Him! (repeat)

This Glorious Grace
Austin Stone Worship, 2013 A.D.

God, I need You,
I need You, I need You,
With every breath,
Every pulse of my heart.
Christ have mercy, have mercy,
Let mercy abound,
I need You, I need You now.

God, pour out Your grace,
Glorious grace
That I would be held by
Your perfect embrace!
I am undeserving,
You are high and worthy,
All of my praise
For this glorious grace!


God we're longing,
We're longing to see You,
In Your presence
All darkness will fade.
Shine Your glory, Your glory,
Let glory surround,
We're longing to see You now.

God, pour out Your grace,
Glorious grace
That we would be held by
Your perfect embrace!
We are undeserving,
You are high and worthy,
All of our praise
For this glorious grace!


God, Your grace
Like rising seas
Has swallowed death
And sin in me!

Glory to our God who saves,
Jesus Christ, our glorious grace!
(Chorus)

God we worship, we worship,
We worship You
For Your glory, our all in all.
You are worthy, You’re worthy,
You’re worthy,
We worship, we worship You.
God we need You,
We need You now.

What a Beautiful Name
Hillsong United, 2016 A.D.

You were the Word at the beginning,
One With God the Lord Most High.
Your hidden glory in creation
Now revealed in You our Christ.

What a beautiful name it is,
What a beautiful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a beautiful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a beautiful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


You didn't want heaven without us,
So Jesus, You brought heaven down.
My sin was great, Your love was greater,
What could separate us now.

What a wonderful name it is,
What a wonderful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a wonderful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a wonderful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


Death could not hold You,
The veil tore before You,
You silenced the boast of sin and grave!
The heavens are roaring
The praise of Your glory,
For You are raised to life again!
You have no rival, You have no equal!
Now and forever, our God reigns!
Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory,
Yours is the name above all names!

What a powerful name it is,
What a powerful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a powerful Name it is,
Nothing can stand against.
What a powerful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


Break Every Chain
Tasha Cobbs, 2013 A.D.

There is power
In the name of Jesus (x3)
...
To break every chain (x3)!

All sufficient sacrifice,
So freely given, such a price
Bought My redemption,
Heaven's gates swing wide.

There's an army rising up (x3)
...
To break every chain (x3)!


Homily Prayer of Response
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Jesus, You are our glorious King of majesty;
You are worthy of our worship and awe.

Response: Free us from seeking our own glory,
and being so afraid of others giving us less glory
when we give You all the glory You deserve.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Thank You, Jesus, that Your glory
helps stifle our craving for approval.
May we be so caught up in what You're
doing and what You're glorious Kingdom is about
that we pray what You taught us again and again:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Benediction 

As Jesus said, "You will receive power
when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be My witnesses ... "
So you are sent out in the strength
and peace of the Holy Spirit of God to
welcome, witness, and worship so
the Gospel Story of God will be heard,
believed, and revealed to many more.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God the Father,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment