Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Haggai 2:10-23: God Put a Ring On It + August 26, 2017







Because of God's great and gracious love for us, Haggai (whose name means "festive" or "celebrate") compels us not to quick too soon, settle too quickly, repent too slowly, or believe too little because God has promised to love us and has made us a ring that He will always wear in light of Jesus, the royal descendant of Zerubbabel.

Prayer of Confession

Leader:
 Although God has given His Church the message of reconciliation in and through Jesus Christ, we fall short of God’s call to be salt of the earth and light of the world.

All:
 God, our fears and prejudices run deep. Sometimes we can only see our own point of view. We stick with those who are like us, rarely venturing outside our comfort zones. We do not hear those crying for justice and true peace. We blame those who are suffering and in need, instead of standing by them. We deny the power of Your Gospel to unite us with those who are different from us. Lord, give us eyes to see and ears to hear. Open us to new possibilities of life for all of Your people, and use us to embody and enact the new life given in Christ.

Leader: 
God’s life-giving Word and Spirit conquer the powers of sin and death. Thanks be to God for His Good News!

All:
 In Jesus Christ, we are forgiven!
By Sojourn Worship
2015 A.D.

Forgive us Lord, for passing by 
When children cry for bread.
Forbid it Lord, that justice lies
In tatters, cold and dead.
Outside these walls run desperate streets 
Where greed is law and life is cheap.
We bar the doors, refuse to see, 
Or hear the words You said:

Let justice roll like a river, 
Like a river, let it roll!
Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!

Convict us Lord, we dance and laugh
Ignoring those who weep.
Correct us Lord, our golden calf
Has lulled our hearts to sleep.
The gap between the rich and poor
Grows ever wider, shore to shore.
There’s racial hate, religious war
And wolves among the sheep.
(Chorus)

Indwell us Lord, and purify
Our hands to work for You.
Enlist us Lord, to serve nearby
And 
ʻcross the waters, too.
Your image-bearers on the earth
Will never know how much they
ʼre worth
Unless we love and help them first
And show the way to You!
(Chorus)
By Austin Stone Worship
2014 A.D.

Oh may I run to no other refuge,
No other rest for my soul.
Oh may I drink from
No other fountain
Where living waters will flow.
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!

You are my life, may You be lifted high!
There is no other like Jesus Christ!
You are my story! You’re my everything!
You are my glory, my God, and my King!
You are my Rock, and You never change!

No other power can break the darkness,
No other hand that can save.
Forever faithful, Your love is stronger,
I trust in no other name!
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!
(Chorus)

My strength to stand, 
All of my days are in Your hand.
My light to see, Your glory goes before me.
My King, You reign!
My Rock, and You never change!
No, You never change!
(Chorus)

Offering
By Ike Ndolo
2013 A.D.

My hands shake with guilt and shame,
Still You love me, love me.
Your eyes are bright
And shine so full of mercy, mercy.

Jesus, Bread of Life, Bread for all.
This is my offering, this my everything,
The Son of God who bled and died
And rose again for me.

Your flesh You gave for all
So we could see You, see You.
Your blood poured for all
So we could know You, know You.
(Chorus)

Fall Afresh
By Jeremy Riddle
2011 A.D.

Awaken my soul, come awake
To hunger, to seek, to thirst.
Awaken first love, come awake
And do as You did at first.
Spirit of the Living God,
Come fall afresh on me,
Come wake me from my sleep.
Blow through the caverns of my soul,
Pour in me to overflow,
To overflow.


Awaken my soul, come awake
To worship with all Your strength.
(Chorus)
Wondrous Love
By Anonymous
1811 A.D.


What wondrous love is this,
O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this,
O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul.


When I was sinking down,
Sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down,
Sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown
For my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown
for my soul. 


To God and to the Lamb,
We will sing, we will sing;
To God and to the Lamb
We will sing.
To God and to the Lamb
Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing, we will sing;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing. 


Oh how high, oh how wide
Oh how deep is Your love!
Oh my soul, set on fire
By Your wondrous love for us! 

And when from death we're free,
We'll sing on, we’ll sing on;
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing on. 
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity we’ll sing on,
We’ll sing on,
And through eternity we’ll sing on.
(Repeat Bridge)


In Tenderness He Sought Me
By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 41
2008 A.D.

Q: What is the mission of God’s people in His world?
A: To join in the mission of God for the world as His Church, being sent with the Gospel of the Kingdom to call everyone to know and follow Christ and to proclaim to all the assurance that in the name of Jesus there is forgiveness of sin and new life for all who repent and believe. The Spirit calls all members to embrace God’s mission in their neighborhoods and in the world: to feed the hungry, bring water to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and free the prisoner. We repent of leaving this work to a few, for this mission is central to our being.

Benediction

May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. + Number 6:24-26

Previous sermons and liturgies in Haggai series:

Haggai Preview: God Has a Name and He is Who He Will Always Be for Us 
Haggai 1:1: God Is Here and He Is Speaking. Are You Ready to Listen? 
Haggai 1:2-7: Consider How God Gives You More 
Haggai 1:7-15: God Wants to Stir Us Up for More
Haggai 2:1-9: God Will Shake Heaven and Earth to Bring Us Peace 

+ Sully

Email Pastor Mike | Website | Facebook | Visit Us | Join Us

No comments:

Post a Comment