Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Haggai 2:1-9: God Will Shake Heaven and Earth to Bring Us Peace + August 5, 2017




You All Shall Be Children of Peace
Give us peace, LORD.

I have already given you peace, but not the world's kind. My peace holds paradoxes. 

My peace is the gentle embrace and the holy scourge. Mine is the breaking of the evil bow and the drawing of My own, bent wide as the sky, with an arrow like the sun. 

The world is a field that must be plowed before it may be planted. Take pity on the stones that refuse to move for My blade, for they will be tossed aside. It may seem harsh, but that too is My peace. That too is My love. 

At My Word, you will not only lay down your weapons, you will melt them to make tools of plenty. You will not only cease to rage, you will begin to praise. I will turn the field of blood into a harvest of life, and you will be to Me the thresher, the harvest, and the heir of the land. 

You all shall be children of peace.


Prayer of Confession

Leader:
 Although God has given His Church the message of reconciliation in and through Jesus Christ, we fall short of God’s call to be salt of the earth and light of the world.

All:
 God, our fears and prejudices run deep. Sometimes we can only see our own point of view. We stick with those who are like us, rarely venturing outside our comfort zones. We do not hear those crying for justice and true peace. We blame those who are suffering and in need, instead of standing by them. We deny the power of Your Gospel to unite us with those who are different from us. Lord, give us eyes to see and ears to hear. Open us to new possibilities of life for all of Your people, and use us to embody and enact the new life given in Christ.

Leader: 
God’s life-giving Word and Spirit conquer the powers of sin and death. Thanks be to God for His Good News!

All:
 In Jesus Christ, we are forgiven!
By Sojourn Worship
2015 A.D.

Forgive us Lord, for passing by 
When children cry for bread.
Forbid it Lord, that justice lies
In tatters, cold and dead.
Outside these walls run desperate streets 
Where greed is law and life is cheap.
We bar the doors, refuse to see, 
Or hear the words You said:

Let justice roll like a river, 
Like a river, let it roll!
Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!

Convict us Lord, we dance and laugh
Ignoring those who weep.
Correct us Lord, our golden calf
Has lulled our hearts to sleep.
The gap between the rich and poor
Grows ever wider, shore to shore.
There’s racial hate, religious war
And wolves among the sheep.
(Chorus)

Indwell us Lord, and purify
Our hands to work for You.
Enlist us Lord, to serve nearby
And 
ʻcross the waters, too.
Your image-bearers on the earth
Will never know how much they
ʼre worth
Unless we love and help them first
And show the way to You!
(Chorus)
By Kofi Thompson
& Crown of Glory
2010 A.D.

All other gods, they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!

Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

You are good and Your mercy is forever, 
Hallelujah!
By Horatio Spafford
1876 A.D.

When peace like a river,
Attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say 
“It is well, it is well, with my soul!”

It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul),
It is well, it is well, with my soul!


Though Satan should buffet,
Though trials should come,
Let this bless’d assurance control
That Christ has regarded
My helpless estate and
Hath shed His own blood for my soul!
(Refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss
Of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross,
And I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord,
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

And Lord haste the day

When my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound,
And the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul!
(Refrain)

The Rock Won't Move
By Vertical Church Band
2013 A.D.

When the ground beneath my feet gives way,
And I hear the sound of crashing waves,
All my world is washing out to sea.
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of the truth
That You are holding tighter still to me.

The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone!
The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone,
The Rock of our Salvation!

My hope is in the promise of Your blood,
My support within the raging flood,
Even in the tempest, I can sing!
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of Your truth
That You are holding tighter still to me!
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah, Woah, the Rock of our salvation!

On Christ the Solid Rock we stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
When darkness seems to hide His face,
We rest on His unchanging grace,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
(Chorus)
Bethel Music
2017 A.D.

Before I spoke a word,
You were singing over me.
You have been so, so good to me.
Before I took a breath,
You breathed Your life in me.
You have been so, so kind to me.

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!
It chases me down,
Fights 'til I'm found,
Leaves the ninety-nine!
I couldn't earn it, and
I don't deserve it,
Still You give Yourself away!
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!

When I was your foe,
Still Your love fought for me.
You have been so, so good to me.
When I felt no worth,
You paid it all for me.
You have been so, so kind to me.
(Chorus)

There's no shadow You won't light up,
Mountain You won't climb up,
Coming after me!
There's no wall You won't kick down,
Lie You won't tear down,
Coming after me!
(Chorus)
By Austin Stone Worship
2014 A.D.

Oh may I run to no other refuge,
No other rest for my soul.
Oh may I drink from
No other fountain
Where living waters will flow.
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!

You are my life, may You be lifted high!
There is no other like Jesus Christ!
You are my story! You’re my everything!
You are my glory, my God, and my King!
You are my Rock, and You never change!

No other power can break the darkness,
No other hand that can save.
Forever faithful, Your love is stronger,
I trust in no other name!
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!
(Chorus)

My strength to stand, 
All of my days are in Your hand.
My light to see, Your glory goes before me.
My King, You reign!
My Rock, and You never change!
No, You never change!
(Chorus)

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 41
2008 A.D.

Q: What is the mission of God’s people in His world?
A: To join in the mission of God for the world as His Church, being sent with the Gospel of the Kingdom to call everyone to know and follow Christ and to proclaim to all the assurance that in the name of Jesus there is forgiveness of sin and new life for all who repent and believe. The Spirit calls all members to embrace God’s mission in their neighborhoods and in the world: to feed the hungry, bring water to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and free the prisoner. We repent of leaving this work to a few, for this mission is central to our being.

Benediction

May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. + Number 6:24-26


Next post: Haggai 2:10-23: God Put a Ring On It

Previous sermons and liturgies in Haggai series:

Haggai Preview: God Has a Name and He is Who He Will Always Be for Us 
Haggai 1:1: God Is Here and He Is Speaking. Are You Ready to Listen? 
Haggai 1:2-7: Consider How God Gives You More 
Haggai 1:7-15: God Wants to Stir Us Up for More

+ Sully

Email Pastor Mike | Website | Facebook | Visit Us | Join Us


No comments:

Post a Comment