Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gospel Series Cont. | Matthew 8-9:17: Jesus Is "So Big, So Strong, So Mighty" + Saturday, September 7

The Calling of St. Matthew + Caravaggio, 1600 A.D.




The sense of wonder and awe, the sense for the sublime, is such a rare gift; without it, the world becomes flat and the human person hollow. + Rabbi Abraham Heschel


Sermon Audio
 | Jesus Is So Big, So Strong, So Mighty

Sermon Scriptures | Matthew 8-9:17

The Gospel comes knocking on doors that we didn’t know we had; it flings open the curtains on windows we didn’t know existed to reveal the rising sun flooding the room with glory when we had imagined that all light came from candles; it woos our cold hearts and awakens them, like someone falling in love for the first time, to a joy and fulfillment never before imagined. + N.T. Wright

Call to Worship | 2 Timothy 2:1

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.


Most High God
Kofi Thompson & Crown of Glory, 2010 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!

You are good and Your mercy is forever,
Hallelujah!

The Everlasting God
William Murphy, 2016 A.D.

The Lord is my Light and salvation.
Whom shall I fear?
Of whom shall I be afraid? (x2)

I will wait on You, I will wait on You.
I will trust in You, I will trust in You.

I will remain confident in this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord. (x2)

We set our hope on You,
We set our hope on Your love,
We set our hope on the One
Who is the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting! (x3)

My God Is So Big
Cedarmont Kids, 1993 A.D.

My God is so big, so strong and so mighty
There's nothing my God cannot do.
My God is so big, so strong and so mighty
There's nothing my God cannot do.

The mountains are His, the valleys are His,
The stars are His handy work, too.
My God is so big, so strong and so mighty
There's nothing my God cannot do.


Awesome
C. Jenkins & Fellowship Chicago, 2013 A.D.

My God is awesome, He can move mountains,
Keep me in the valley, hide me from the rain.

My God is awesome, heals me when I'm broken,
Strength where I've been weakened,
Forever He will reign!

My God is awesome, awesome
Awesome, awesome! (Repeat)

My God is awesome, Savior of the whole world
Giver of salvation, by His stripes I'm healed.
My God is awesome, today I am forgiven
His grace is why I'm living, praise His holy name!
(Chorus)

He's mighty (holy, worthy),
He's mighty, He's mighty, He's mighty,
Awesome, awesome!


Land of the Rising Sun
Ike Ndolo, 2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning, the tomb is reaching out.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!
The crows are circling, the jackal waits in the dark.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!

I belong to the land of the rising Son
Where the grave is no more,
The war has been won!
I belong to the land of the rising Son,
I belong to You, I belong!


The world is in my bones, it makes me wrestle with You.
Oh, but You have claimed me!
Oh, but You have claimed me!
No matter how far I've gone, even to the devil's table.
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
Oh, my God, You've claimed me! (Chorus)

Through my wandering, and my failing,
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the fire, and the darkness,
Through the sadness, I belong!
I'm just a rebel who's tired of fighting,
So I'm laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising,
The sun is rising! (Chorus)


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: Jesus, Your grace makes us strong with You, even in our weaknesses.
All: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.

Congregational Prayers
All: Lord, hear our prayer ...

One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...
All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be doneon earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.

Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 34
2008 A.D.

Q. Who is Jesus welcoming to His Table?
A. In our world where many journey alone,
nameless in the bustling crowd, Satan and his evil forces
seek whom they may scatter and isolate;
but God, by His gracious choosing in Christ,
gathers a new community—those who by God’s gift
put their trust in Christ.
In the new community all are welcome:
the homeless come home, the broken find healing,
the sinner makes a new start, the despised are esteemed,
the least are honored, and the last are first.
Here the Spirit guides and grace abounds.

Benediction Based on "The Kingdom Is Yours"
by Common Hymnal (Matthew 5:3-12)

Blessed are the wounded ones in mourning, brave enough
to show the Lord their scars. Blessed are the hurts that
are not hidden, open to the healing touch of God.
Blessed are the ones who fight for justice, longing for the
coming day of peace. Blessed is the soul that thirsts for
righteousness, welcoming the last, the lost, the least.
Blessed are the ones who suffer violence and still have
strength to love their enemies. Blessed is the faith of those
who persevere; though they fall, they'll never know defeat.
The Kingdom is yours, hold on a little more, this is not the end.
Hope is in the Lord; keep Your eyes on Him. You are loved.
Now go with the Prince of Peace to declare and demonstrate
Jesus' Good News of the Kingdom of heaven that is near.

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment