Friday, October 24, 2014

2014 Thriving Frequency Conference | Thee Apprentice "Who Am I?" Poem

Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 3DM Multiethnic Urban Network of Missional Communities

2014 Thriving Frequency Conference with Eric Mason, D.A. Horton, Jerome Gay and more at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA from October 17-18


Last year, some folks from Emmaus City had the privilege to spend a weekend in Philadelphia at the 2013 Thriving Summit, hosted by Epiphany Fellowship


Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 3DM Multiethnic Urban Network of Missional Communities
This year was just as powerful and they added in some breakout sessions as well. One thing that was also different was that Thee Apprentice, a spoken word poet, was the MC. After a passionate welcome, Thee Apprentice shared one of his poems, "Who am I?" It was a perfect introduction for a conference on mission to cities, because before we know what to do, we need to know who God is and what He has done so that we can know who we are before we can know what to do.





Who am I?
 "Who am I?" is one of life's most enlightening questions.
So I asked my shadow thinking he would know since he's been with me since my conception only to realize that his point of view is too dark to offer light to my perspective. 
Who am I?
I've learned that the best approach to this question is to admit that you don't have a clue.
One must understand that there's no Sherlock Holmes, Inspector Gadget, or Magnum P.I. that you can hire to find this answer for you, but there's five things you'll have to do:

1) Have a confrontation with yourself;
2) A conversation with your Maker; 
3) Make the conscious choice to accept your past in spite of being rejected;
4) Unwrap your present regardless of how it was presented; and
5) Take the challenge daily to identify yourself as an individual, forsake the comforts of being a carbon copy, and find the confidence in being an original.

"Who am I?" is one of life's most defining questions.
It'll shape your reality.
Be the skeleton to your perception.
 See life is a journey.
And knowing where you are will serve as a compass when you've lost your direction.
It will point you "North" when staring at a rock bottom reflection.
You see for me, that was the 16 months I was buried in the Department of Corrections.
And although I didn't find myself, where I found myself, I found myself finding faith in the ideology of a resurrection, that I could burn in the flames of bad choices, then rise from ashes of their consequences like a phoenix, that I could bear the bad of a Good Friday knowing that it will all work together for my good by Easter.
 A lost soul drawn to the cross, I found myself born again a new creature, not to be mistaken for reincarnation, but a reconciliation to God through Jesus, justified by His propitiation.
I'm a reflection of Barabbas, acquitted, you see, I did it, I got convicted, but Jesus ended my sentence. Period.
I was a prisoner, but I've been set free, and who the Son sets free is free indeed.
I'm just a human being, being all I can be and it's a process in itself just becoming who I am.
Who am I?
I'm dirt in the Potter's hand fashioned to form for His plan.
I'm perfectly imperfect, fearfully, wonderfully made.
Everything about me has been considered.
I'm no mistake.
The hairs on my head haven't just been counted, they've been arranged.
I'm Samson, but my strength remains even after my head was shaved.
I'm Paul, and I'm pressing toward the mark.
I'm a servant who found grace in the eyes of the law like Noah locked within the Ark.
I'm David, I've fought bears, I've fought lions, and by wilderness palms, I've slayed giants like Goliath.
  I'm armed, I'm dangerous, I'm a soldier in the army of the Lord with 66 books in the clip.
My rifle holds 39 in the old and 27 in the new.
I've witnessed the good news, I'm reporting the Great Commission, I'm a Christian, a fisher of men fishin'.
My poems are bait, my lines just rhyme to hook your attention.
I'm the salt of the earth, the flavor your food for thought's been missing.
"Who am I?" is one of life's most frightening questions.
It reveals the truth of your reality, challenges you to be honest about the lies you've accepted, like the biggest deception was the devil convincing the world he didn't exist.
The usual suspect Thee Apprentice – you would never suspect.
I'm Verbal Kint with the pen giving my Keyser Soze description.
Kin to the Son, I'm ray of sunlight through the lens that don't see through dark tints.
Can you see me now?
John the Baptist, I'm a voice in the wilderness, I'm the one who got sent to awaken your God consciousness.
Can you hear me now? 
I am prophet, I am priest, I am king, I am orator, oracle, instrument in the orchestra of He who orchestrates everything.
 Who am I?
I've learned that the quest to my answer is the empowerment of the question.
And my eyes being enlightened help me see me through the fog of my imperfections.
Defining the steps that I took in the past helped guide the steps I take in the present and the faith I found in my future came when I faced my fears by looking in the eyes of my reflection.
I saw a miracle, saw that I was blessed to be a blessing, destined to be different so I'll always be perceived as odd, but I'm over it because I understand that I am who I am by the grace of God. 
Who am I?
I am who I am by the grace of God. 

Next post: 2014 Thriving Frequency Conference | The Anthem by Planetshakers with DOXA from Epiphany Fellowship 

 Sully
 
Curios? Go ahead and connect
For other updates, like and follow Emmaus City on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment