Monday, October 28, 2013

2013 Thriving Summit: Eric Mason | Fight for Gospel Truth

2013 Thriving Summit Eric Mason Acts 29


2013 Thriving Summit – Reflection #1 | Pastor Eric Mason

This month has been filled with so much learning, I felt compelled to not only review, meditate, and write the wisdom out again, but I also wanted to share it with you.

Friday, October 11 through Saturday, October 12, I had two close friends who are also part of Emmaus City join me on a road trip to Epiphany Fellowship in the heart of Philadelphia for a conference that continues to sear its mark on my soul. The 2013 Thriving Summit was an onslaught of powerful preaching and instruction from leaders who minister in urban contexts around the U.S.  

Each of the posts in this four-part series will include a summary and reflection on one of the main sessions. I won't be able to cover everything the speakers shared or discussed. If you want to hear more details, feel free to drop me a line. For now, here is a first taste of what was served in Philly a few weekends ago. 

Dr. Eric Mason | Friday, October 11

1 Timothy 6:3-21 – Fight for Gospel Truth


You're going to have to engage and not complain. Paul challenged Timothy in Ephesus – the theological center of the church's activity – that he was going to need to fight the good fight for faith in Jesus. In his city, there were plenty of people who could talk about faith, but not many who were standing strong in the truths about the Person in which Timothy had placed his faith.

1) When you're in a fight, you have to know when to retreat.
There will need to be distinctions between you and others, and there are going to be things you're going to need to flee like: (1) lording it over people, (2) feeding an unhealthy craving for conspiracy, (3) causing divisiveness, (4) growing pride, and (5) loving money.



"Don't get caught in a fight that doesn't move discipleship and the kingdom forward. Be willing to flee and say, 'I'd rather look ugly so God can look beautiful.' Until you're real with your struggle, you won't know when to flee to God."

2) When you're in a fight, you've got to eat your rations.
God never takes something from you without giving you something. Exercise the "steadfastness" He has given you where you are at. Then pursue the opportunities that are hard. You've got to actually make a decision to walk in His righteousness. Strive for, hasten, and press toward Him and what He has given you. "Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called. I charge you in the presence of God keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ." Then share from what you have learned.

"A vision from God is one in which only He can accomplish it. You've been entrusted with the riches of Christ in His gospel, and you're called and commanded to pour them out for others no matter what the cost."

3) Only fight the fight that God requires.
Know your capacity. Deal with your sin. Plant where you stand. Preach the Word. And be patient for change. People need to pastor each other, and pastors need to be included with those who are pastored. You can be honest and trust God, or lie and lose. In the life of the individual and the life of the church, there needs to be a growing level of honesty and submission to Jesus, to the leaders He provides among His people in the church, and to each other.

"There is no greater fighter than Jesus. And He fights with us now. We want to join Him in what He is already doing. We're not fighting for our victory. We fight together from His victory."


Final Thoughts on Eric Mason's "Fight for Gospel Truth"

I appreciated Mason's session for not only reminding me of Who is standing with me and how I have been entrusted to stand for Him, but I also greatly appreciated being made aware again (from Paul's instructions to Timothy) of what I will and should be fleeing from when I am standing with Jesus. 

When I'm gracious, I'm standing for the gospel of Jesus. I won't have to try to force others to see Him; they will based on my Spirit-led posture before Him and grace-filled actions toward them. So I can flee "lording over" the gospel message to people and instead fight for faith in Jesus that serves them so they will ask for a reason for the hope I have in Him.

When I'm simple, I'm standing for the gospel of Jesus. I don't need to engage with conspiracy theorists; they're not looking for clarity in who Jesus is if they're more concerned with questions that can never be answered. So I can flee their craving to get into a circular argument that leads nowhere, and instead fight for faith in Jesus to bring the focus back to Him and how His life, death, and resurrection changes everything it is true.

When my words unite with Jesus' words, I'm standing for the gospel of Jesus. I don't need to determine who I'm "with" or who I'm "for" as far as being divisive on secondary issues that the Bible is unclear on. Boasting only in Jesus and Him crucified, holding to His story and truths shared in Scripture, and following the Spirit's lead in giving Him glory, will create enough dividing lines. So I can flee those who promote divisiveness and instead fight for faith in Jesus and cling to His prayer to the Father by the Spirit for unity in His church in John 17. 

When my attitude is shaped by generous humility, I'm standing for the gospel of Jesus. Killing my pride requires a daily meditation on what Jesus did and is doing for me through His Word and His Spirit, and with His people. So I can flee trying to justify my actions, and instead I can fight for faith in Jesus to rest in my identity as a son who has been received by God into His family only because of the grace given my by Jesus.

When my confidence and contentment is secure in God's provision, I'm standing for the gospel of Jesus. Trusting Him to provide my family's needs will continue to challenge the recesses of my heart that hide a love for money. So I can flee when fear and false hope rests on what I have in the bank, and instead I can fight for faith in Jesus to trust that God is true to His promises to provide all I will need from His eternal riches.

But to do all of this, I need to make the daily choice to hold to Jesus and His words as He builds my character, competence, and commitment to be more like Him. He has already won the ultimate victory over sin and death. But I want to see Him helping me win the fight in my daily battles more regularly, so I see the sins and the temptations that provoke me to hunger after lies steadily losing their grip on my mind and heart.

Check back this week for Reflection #2 | H.B. Charles, Jr. Fight for Maturity and Purity

 Sully

Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect.


No comments:

Post a Comment