Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Emmaus City Liturgy | Sunday, October 12, 2014 – I Peter Sermon Series | Hope-full Gifts: Grace, Holiness, and Faith from God

Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 3DM 1 Peter Sermon Series 2014 Network of Missional Communities

Emmaus City Liturgy – 1 Peter Sermon Series: Hope-full Gifts: Grace, Holiness, and Faith from God | 1 Peter 1:13-21


1 Peter 1:13-21 | Hope-full Gifts Sermon Audio:



For previous sermon series notes and audio, click on the links below:


This post will feature themes, verses, hymns and songs (audio and lyrics), and prayers that complement the sermon text. Key notes from the sermons will also be included.

Curious to know more? Want to spend some time with us? Don't hesitate. Contact us and come join us. In the meantime, enjoy the readings and listening to the songs below.


THANKING GOD | WORSHIP THROUGH CELEBRATION, SONG, AND PRAYER

Sharing Moments of Celebration
 
2014 A.D.

 

God, I need You, I need You,
 I need You,
Every breath, every pulse
Of my heart.
Christ have mercy, have mercy,
Let mercy abound,
I need You, I need You now. 

God pour out Your grace,
Glorious grace
That I would be held
By Your perfect embrace!
I am undeserving,
You are high and worthy,
All of my praise
For this glorious grace! 

God I’m longing,
I’m longing to see You,
In Your presence
All darkness will fade.
Shine Your glory, Your glory,
Let glory surround,
I’m longing to see You now.
(Repeat Chorus) 

Bridge: 
God Your grace like rising seas
Has swallowed death
And sin in me!
Out of darkness into light
My soul, my soul,
I’m raised to life! 
 Glory to my God who saves, 
Jesus Christ,
My glorious grace!
Glory to my God who saves,
Jesus Christ,
My glorious grace!

God I worship, I worship,
I worship You
For Your glory, my all in all.
You are worthy, You’re worthy, You’re worthy,
I worship, I worship You.
God I need You, I need You now.

Prayer of Thanksgiving and The Lord’s Prayer
From Jesus in Matthew 6:9-13

Our Father who is in heaven, may Your name be kept holy. 
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our sin, as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: 
For Yours is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen 


RECEIVING JESUS | WORSHIP THROUGH LISTENING AND PRAISING

1 Peter 1:13-21 | 1 Peter Sermon Series: Hope-full Gifts: Grace, Holiness, and Faith from God


Sermon Texts

Sermon Notes

The number one rated movie voted on by critics and the masses according to IMDB is The Shawshank Redemption. Themes in Shawshank include vengeance and forgiveness, injustice and redemption, despair and hope. This scene about hope captures the intensity of needing to set your mind fully on hope regardless of your circumstances.


Do we side with Andy in thinking hope is absolutely necessary?  
 Or do we side with Red in thinking that hope is a dangerous thing?


1. The Hope-Full Gift of Grace in Jesus

13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

“In the biblical usage, hope … is called ‘an anchor of the soul’ (Hebrews 6:18-20: ‘ … we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. 19 We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, 20 where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.”). Hope believing that God will do what He promises He will do. Peter reminds us of that, and he tells us where we are to put our hope – fully upon the grace of God. … We can be confident our future, even as our present, rests fully not on our righteousness or on God’s justice, but on God’s grace, which by definition is something that we do not and cannot deserve.” – R.C. Sproul, Pastor of St. Andrew’s Church

Under God’s economy, nothing really changes until our minds do. Transformation is the fruit of a changed outlook . First our minds are renewed, and then we are transformed, and then everything is different, even if it stays the same. God is more interested in changing your thinking than in changing your circumstances. He wants you to have the same attitude as and the very mind of Jesus Christ (see Philippians 2:5-8). To pull that off is a miracle larger than splitting oceans or tossing mountains into them. It is akin to raising the dead. Yet this is the daily occupation of the Holy Spirit of God – leading us into all truth, reminding us of the things Christ taught, taking the things of Christ and making them known to us again.” – Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God


“Gratitude is the highest form of thinking (G.K. Chesterton). If we are not known for thanking God, then maybe we don't think enough about God. 

"Any deep healing in an individual or a community will always be related to deep gratitude." – Ann Voskamp

15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. 
 16 Rejoice always, 
17 pray without ceasing,   
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 
 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 
20 Do not despise prophecies, 
21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.  
22 Abstain from every form of evil.  
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. – 1 Thessalonians 5:15-23 

"We hear the grace of God and see the face of God through gratitude.” – Ann Voskamp

2. The Hope-full Gift of Holiness in Jesus

14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile …

Supporting Sermon Text | John 14:6-7, 10, 15-18

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” … 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. … 15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

  • God is love (1 John 4:8) … that will not let us go. He is Father that holds on to His children even during our tantrums.
  • God is light (I John 1:5) … and in Him there is no darkness. He draws us in so we can no longer look at other’s darkness, but can only stand illuminated by His revelation.
  • God is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29) … who wounds us and heals us by His holiness and grace.

God is glorious so we do not have to be fearful about our glory. Our only concern and honor is for His glory and then we can be free of fear. As Ann Voskamp said, being grateful helps us remove fear. 

Supporting Sermon Text | Hebrews 12:28-29
28 
Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, 29 for our God is a consuming fire. 


"When we don’t trust God as our Father and His call and way for us to be holy, we can go four different routes in attempting to create our own way of holiness:

  • Pharisees taught religious separation (form your own group based on your “right” laws and ideas)
  • Essenes advocated withdrawal (stay away from anyone or anything that differs from you)
  • Zealots espoused violent revolution (argue and debate and fight against others)
  • Saduccees promoted political compromise (decide to go with the flow of the culture’s right and wrong when it benefits you)

Each of these ways is based on a fear of losing our glory, rather than focusing on what would give God the most glory. ... "But Jesus’ way is the way of love and suffering: love of enemies instead of their destruction; unconditional forgiveness instead of retaliation; readiness to suffer instead of force; blessing for peacemakers instead of hymns of hate and revenge” – True Story of the Whole World

  • Are we moved in our minds and our hearts to action by a Father and King who is so good and so honorable and so fierce in His love displayed by Jesus?
  • Are we willing to turn to Him for refuge rather than ourselves?

“Affliction is one of God's medicines. By it He often teaches lessons which would be learned in no other way. By it He often draws souls away from sin and the world, which would otherwise have perished everlastingly. Health is a great blessing, but sanctified disease is a greater. Prosperity and worldly comfort, are what all naturally desire; but losses and crosses are far better for us, if they lead us to Christ. Thousands at the last day will testify with David, "It is good for me that I have been afflicted." (Psalm. 119:71).” – J.C. Ryle, Anglican Bishop who wrote Holiness 

"Anything of value is often exhausting. 
Planting and keeping a garden.
 Business ventures. Writing and publishing a book.
 Developing strong relationships.
 Maintaining a healthy body.
Learning a useful skill or earning a degree. Having and raising children."


12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. … 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. – Romans 12:1-2, 11-12 


3. The Hope-full Gift of Faith in Jesus

  • Do we believe God is interested in us?
  • Do we believe He not only loves us where we are at, but loves us enough not to leave us where we're at?

Recently, something uprecedented in history happened. The number one album on the Billboard 200 chart was also the number one album on the Gospel chart. The album was not a pop, rock, or country record by the majority culture. It was a hip hop record by an African American: Lecrae's "Anomaly". Like it's title, the album is an anomaly in and of itself, while also speaking to humanity today in our desire to be seen, valued, and loved. In the middle of the album is a song called, "Timepiece". Here are some of the lyrics:



" ... Lights off,
Ain't nobody watching me.
I heard about the man in the sky,
But he probably fell asleep. ...
 
Never thought that I was only wasting my own time.
Who holds time?
They say he'll be coming in no time.
Pray I pay attention, cause I'm giving him no time.
When the lights off, is anybody watching me?
Heard the man above never slumber, never sleep. ...
 
Can we blame the sins of a reverend for all our irreverence?
Does my time spent on earth qualify me for heaven?
Did we tick him off by wasting all these ticks on this clock?
Or is he graciously giving me time to give him my heart?
I'm sure it's the latter, sure that it matters. ... "


Are we willing to hope and ask the question if Christ's blood was indeed precious, revealing to us His grace, and then see that all of our time is valuable, and indeed, holy and set apart for more?

18 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.  

Closing Sermon Text | 1 Peter 1:8-9
Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

RECEIVING JESUS WORSHIP THROUGH CONFESSION AND COMMUNION 


BEING SENT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT | WORSHIP THROUGH PRAISE, MISSION, AND BLESSING

2011 A.D.  


 Worthy is the
Lamb who was slain,
Holy, Holy, is He!
Sing a new song,
To Him who sits on
Heaven's Mercy Seat!
(Repeat 2x)

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come!
With all creation I sing:
Praise to the King of Kings! 

You are my everything,
And I will adore You! 

Clothed in rainbows, of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder.
Blessing and honor, strength and
Glory and power be
To You the Only Wise King!
(Repeat chorus) 

Filled with wonder,
Awestruck wonder
At the mention of Your Name!
Jesus, Your Name is Power
Breath, and Living Water
Such a marvelous mystery! 
(Repeat chorus 2x)

2011 A.D.

 

What heart could hold
The weight of Your love
And know the heights
Of Your great worth?
What eyes could look on
Your glorious face
Shining like the sun? 
(Repeat) 

You are holy, holy, holy,
 God most high and
God most worthy!
You are holy, holy, holy,
Jesus, You are! (x2) 

Your name alone has
Power to raise us!
Your light will shine
When all else fades!
Our eyes will look on
Your glorious face,
Shining like the sun.
Who is like You, God? 
(Repeat Chorus 2x) 

Who shall we say You are?
You're the living God!
Who shall we say You are?
You're the Great I AM!
The highest name of all
You're all You say You are! 
(Repeat Chorus 2x) 

And You shall come again in glory
To judge the living and the dead.
All eyes will look on
Your glorious face,
Shining like the sun.
Who is like You, God?
(Repeat Chorus 2x)


2011 A.D.


  
My foes are many,
They rise against me

But I will hold my ground.
I will not fear the war,

I will not fear the storm, My help is on the way (2x)! 
Oh, my God, He will not delay,
My refuge and strength always!
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always
 
Always! 

Troubles surround me,
Chaos abounding, 
My soul will rest in You
I will not fear the war,
I will not fear the storm,
My help is on the way,
My help is on the way!
 (Repeat Chorus)

I lift my eyes up, My help comes from the Lord! (4x)
From You, Lord, from You, Lord!  
(Repeat Chorus) 

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always,
Always!

 
Prayer for Adorn Church in Silver Lake, CA

Benediction 

Our World Belongs to God (5) | 2008 A.D. 

God holds this world with fierce love. Keeping His promise, He sends Jesus into the world for you, pours out the Holy Spirit for you, and announces the good news to you: everyone who repents, turning from being their own savior, and believes in Jesus to be their Lord and Savior, lives anew as a member of the family of God – the firstfruits of a new creation.

 Sully

Curious? Go ahead and connect. For other updates, like and follow Emmaus City on Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment