Saturday, March 6, 2021

Lent Deeply Formed Life Message + Mass @ Home | Psalm 139:1-7, 17-18, 23-24: Interior Examination for a World Living on the Surface

 

The Deeply Formed Life: Five Transformative Values to Root Us in the Way of Jesus by Rich Villodas Book Cover


The contemplative way is about listening deeply to God. The way of reconciliation entails listening deeply to each other. The way of interior examination is about deeply listening to ourselves. + Rich Villodas, The Deeply Formed Life


Previous 2021 Lenten Deeply Formed Messages + Masses:


Story of God Liturgy Flow | Creation, Crisis, Covenant Community, Christ, Church, (New) Creation


(1) Creation


Call to Worship | Psalm 19:7, 12-14 + Our World Belongs to God (44)

The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul. ... How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. ... May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

One: Life is a gift from God’s hand, who created all things. Receiving this gift thankfully, with reverence for the Creator, we protest and resist all that harms, abuses, or diminishes the gift of life, whether by abortion, pollution, gluttony, addiction, or foolish risks.

All: Because it is a sacred trust, we treat all life with awe and respect ... When forced to make decisions at life’s raw edges,
we seek wisdom in community, guided by God's Word and Spirit.

God I Look to You
Brian Johnson, 2013 A.D.

God, I look to You and I won’t be overwhelmed. 
Give me vision to see things like You do.
God, I look to You, You're where my help comes from,
Give me wisdom, You know just what to do.

And I will love You, Lord, my Strength! 
And I will love You, Lord, my Shield!
And I will love You, Lord, my Rock! 
Forever all my days, I will love You, God!

Hallelujah! Our God reigns! 
Hallelujah! Our God reigns! 
Hallelujah! Our God reigns! 
Forever all my days, Hallelujah!

(2) Crisis


Prayer of Confession + Assurance | 

Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us sinners ...

Quiet Confession + Open Prayer

Assurance:
Our God pardons those who humbly repent and believe the Gospel. In Christ we have peace with God, to whom be praise and honor forever. Amen.

(3) Covenant Community



Sermon Scriptures | Psalm 139:1-7, 17-18, 23-24

Sermon Application | 4 Self-Examinations w/ Jesus & His Church Rooted in Scripture

1) Examination Before Coming to the Lord's Table: Practice the urgency of self-examination when coming to Communion or the Eucharist (1 Corinthians 11:28).

2) Examination of Faith: Practice reflecting on your life to determine whether you are living consistently with the Truth of God's abiding presence (2 Corinthians 13:5).

3) Examination of Our Ways (for Regular Repentance): Practice being mindful of the way you live (Lamentations 3:40).

4) Examination of Our Work: Practice testing your work and how you bear in love with others (but don't compare with others; look to Christ to fulfill your work as you participate in God's work with Him and others) (Galatians 6:3-5).

4 Deeply Formed Practices for Interior Examination

1) Examining Family of Origin: The emotional attachment (or lack thereof) we experienced with our parents or caregivers sets us on particular trajectories; it's helpful to keep in mind three categories: patterns, trauma, scripts

2) Examining Our Anxiety: To be anxious is to be human, but to be regularly shaped by anxiety diminishes our humanity; time and time again, God invites His people to come out from debilitating fear and into a deeper experience of peace and trust

3) Examining Our Feelings: More than just naming the feelings (i.e. consolations: peace, joy, contement or desolations: angst, anger, discontentment), the goal is to lift the various feelings to help us discern if we are moving toward God or away from Him 

4 Questions to Ask: What are you mad about? What are you sad about? What are you anxious about? What are you glad about?)

4) Examining Our Reactions: In examination of our reactions, we live from a place of depth, wisdom, discernment and find ourselves in a better place to reject the lies and stories that often distort our vision; our perceptions become clearer, we make fewer assumptions and live without the heavy burden of self-justification, self-condemnation, and the need to judge others 

5 Questions to Ask: What happened? What am I feeling? What is the story I'm telling myself? What does the Gospel say? What counter-instinctual action is needed?

Additional Sermon Resources |

+ The Relational Soul: Moving from False Self to Deep Connection
by James Cofield and Richard Plass
by Marlena Graves
 
(4) Christ



Christ has died. Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

Come and Tear Down the Walls
Common Hymnal, 2016 A.D.

Come, tear down the walls I've built up
Every wall I've built up, every wall I've built up 
'Cause You deserve every piece of my heart, 
Every piece of my heart, every piece of my heart.

Lord, I am trusting that You are a faithful Father 
And all that You have, it is good.
You're a generous Giver, Your Love's like no other, 
Won't You come and break through to me?

Over and over and over again,
I am bringing my heart to You with open hands. 
Closer and closer, You're drawing me in
As the depths of my heart lay before You again.

Come, tear down the walls I've built up, every wall I’ve built up ... ! 
‘Cause You deserve every piece of my heart ... !

(5) Church


Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me
City Alight, 2018 A.D.

What gift of grace is Jesus my Redeemer!
There is no more for heaven now to give.
He is my joy, my righteousness, and freedom,
My steadfast love, my deep and boundless peace.
To this I hold, my hope is only Jesus, 
For my life is wholly bound to His. 
Oh how strange and divine, I can sing: all is mine!
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

The night is dark but I am not forsaken
For by my side, the Savior He will stay.
I labor on in weakness and rejoicing 
For in my need, His power is displayed. 
To this I hold, my Shepherd will defend me,
Through the deepest valley He will lead.
Oh the night has been won, and I shall overcome!
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

No fate I dread, I know I am forgiven. 
The future sure, the price it has been paid. 
For Jesus bled and suffered for my pardon
And He was raised to overthrow the grave.
To this I hold, my sin has been defeated, 
Jesus now and ever is my plea!
Oh the chains are released, I can sing: I am free! 
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

With every breath I long to follow Jesus
For He has said that He will bring me home;
And day by day I know He will renew me 
Until I stand with joy before the throne. 
To this I hold, my hope is only Jesus, 
All the glory evermore to Him!
When the race is complete, still my lips shall repeat:
Yet not I, but through Christ in me!

(6) New Creation


Benediction 

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you 
until He returns to make all things new.

Lectionary Readings
 

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Additional Links for Deeply Formed Life Lent 2021:


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment