Monday, July 27, 2020

FB Live Weekend Message | If God Is for Us: God Graciously Does It: Helps You, Pleads for You, Calls You, Knows You, Chooses You


" ... At Your touch my sleeping spirit was awakened, on my darkened heart the light of Christ has shone. Called into a Kingdom that cannot be shaken, Heaven's citizen by grace and grace alone. ... " + Grace Alone 


Sermon Blog Post | Gentle & Lowly Good News: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers

Sermon Scriptures | Romans 8:26-29

8:26 The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. 28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 29 For God knew His people in advance, and He chose them to become like His Son, so that His Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
In accordance with state and national authorities, we are looking to return to the front lawn of the Fusion Center at 30 Tyler Prentice Road on Saturdays, August 1, 15, and 29. More details to come. In the meantime, we are still gathering every Saturday at 4:30 p.m. EST via Emmaus City Church Facebook Live. The liturgy with links to songs will be posted Saturday morning on our Facebook page beforehand. We would love for you to join with us! Also, you can contact us at info@emmauscitychurch.com.

Call to Worship from Psalm 142:1-3a

I cry out to the LORD; I plead for the LORD’s mercy. I pour out my complaints before Him and tell Him all my troubles. When I am overwhelmed, You alone know the way I should turn.

May Your Power Rest on Me
Isaac Watts adapted by Sojourn Music
Early 1700s A.D.; 2009 A.D.

Let me hear my Savior say, “Your strength shall return.”
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace, as I lean on Your grace.

May Your power rest on me. 
You are strong when I am weak.
I can bear all things when temptation springs 
For You sustain me all my days.

Let me know my Savior’s face. 
Let my hope be secure.
Then I’ll rejoice in my weakness
As I lean on Your grace, as I lean on Your grace. 
(Chorus)

Once from the Lord withdrawn 
I thought that I could live my life alone.
Leaving the solid ground, I sank beneath His wisdom.
The harder I tried to climb the closer I was to find
How great is my weakness. (Chorus)

Though the trial still goes on, 
Your grace will be my song!
For I can bear all things when temptation springs
For You sustain me all my days.

The Story I'll Tell
Maverick City Music, 2020 A.D.

The hour is dark and it’s hard to see
What You are doing here in the ruins
And where this will lead ...
Oh but I know that down through the years
I'll look on this moment, see Your hand on it, 
And know You were here ... 

And I’ll testify of the battles You’ve won,
How You were my portion when there wasn’t enough. 
I'll sing a song of the seas that we crossed,
The waters You parted, the waves that I walked ... 


Oh, my God did not fail! Oh, it’s the story I’ll tell! 
Oh, I know it is well! Oh, it's the story I’ll tell! 

Believing gets hard when options are few,
When I can't see how You're moving
I know that You're proving You're the God that comes through! 
Oh, but I know that over the years,
I’ll look back on this moment and see Your hand on it
And know You were here ... (Pre-Chorus + Chorus)

All that is left is highest praises,
So sing hallelujah to the Rock of Ages ... (Chorus)


Grace Alone
Dustin Kensrue, 2013 A.D.

I was an orphan lost at the Fall,
Running away when I'd hear Your call,
But Father, You worked Your will.
I had no righteousness of my own,
I had no right to draw near Your throne,
But Father, You loved me still.
And in love before You laid the world's foundation,
You predestined to adopt me as Your own.
You have raised me up so high above my station.
I'm a child of God by grace and grace alone.

You left Your home to seek out the lost,
You knew the great and terrible cost,
But Jesus, Your face was set.
I worked my fingers down to the bone,
Nothing I did could ever atone,
But Jesus, You paid my debt.
By Your blood, I have redemption and salvation,
Lord, You died that I might reap what You have sown;
And You rose that I might be a new creation,
I am born again by grace and grace alone.

I was in darkness all of my life,
I never knew the day from the night,
But Spirit, You made me see.
I swore I knew the way on my own,
Head full of rocks, a heart made of stone,
But Spirit, You moved in me.
At Your touch my sleeping spirit was awakened,
On my darkened heart the light of Christ has shone.
Called into a Kingdom that cannot be shaken,
Heaven's citizen by grace and grace alone.

So I'll stand in faith by grace and grace alone!
I will run the race by grace and grace alone!
I will slay my sin by grace and grace alone!
I will reach the end by grace and grace alone!


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayer of Confession and Assurance 

In the evening of this life, I shall appear before You with empty hands, for I do not ask You, Lord, to count my works. All our goodness is stained and imperfect. I wish, then, to be clothed with Your own goodness, and to receive You Yourself eternally, out of Your love. I want no other place or crown but You, my beloved. Lord, even if my conscience were burdened with every sin it is possible to commit, I would still throw myself into Your arms, my heart broken with contrition. And I know how tenderly You welcome any prodigal child of Yours who comes back to You. + Saint Thérèse of Lisieux

Benediction based on Romans 15:13


May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. In Christ all things hold together. So groan, grieve, garden, and grow with Him and all creation together. God in His peace with our Prince of peace.




To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment