Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day Weekend & Ahmaud Arbery Lament Eastertide FB Live Video + Liturgy | Power, Participation, and Pressing On That's Only Possible with the Person of Jesus Christ


Resurrection by Magnus 3D


" ... The fear that held us now gives way to Him who is our peace. His final breath upon the cross is now alive in me. ... By Your Spirit I will rise from the ashes of defeat, the resurrecting King is resurrecting me! ... 
" + "Resurrecting" by Elevation, 2016 A.D.

Sermon Scriptures | Philippians 3:10-14

Mother's Day Weekend | Happy Mother's Day weekend to all our beloved mothers near and far! We are celebrating mothers of the born and unborn, via adoption and fostering, as well as humbly offering compassion for the mothers of those who have lost their children as well as for those who have felt forced to abort their children. We love you. 

... And Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. How long, Lord?! Not again. Mourning with all our beloved sisters and brothers of color, particularly the mothers on this Mother's Day weekend who have already shed so many tears and suffered excruciating loss, who are crying out, "Why?!" again. " ... Let justice roll like a river, like a river let it roll (to the pavement where the blood of Ahmaud Arbery cries out from the concrete) ... " I encourage you to listen to and sing "Rose Petals" with all those who are grieving over the murder of Ahmaud Arbery, and longing for justice ... " ... I'm asking you to look at all these roses with petals on the ground, they call this one Ahmaud Arbery. ... " And as a question and a cry for justice, consider the words and passion of "How Much Longer?" alongside the beloved Ike Ndolo and Common Hymnal to complement "Rose Petals" as a cry through the tears.

 + Mother's Day Weekend Lament for Ahmaud Arbery
In accordance with state and national authorities, we will wait to return to the Fusion Center at 30 Tyler Prentice Road sometime later this spring or summer. In the meantime, we are still gathering every Saturday at 4:30 p.m. EST via Emmaus City Church Facebook Live. The liturgy with links to songs will be posted Saturday morning on our Facebook page beforehand. We would love for you to join with us! Also, you can contact us at info@emmauscitychurch.com.

Call to Worship Psalm 139:7-8

Living Hope
Phil Wickham, 2018 A.D.

How great the chasm that lay between us,
How high the mountain I could not climb.
In desperation, I turned to heaven and 
Spoke Your name into the night. 
Then through the darkness, Your loving-kindness
Tore through the shadows of my soul.
The work is finished, the end is written, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Who could imagine so great a mercy?
What heart could fathom such boundless grace?
The God of ages stepped down from glory
To wear my sin and bear my shame. 
The cross has spoken, I am forgiven,
The King of kings calls me His own.
Beautiful Savior, I’m Yours forever, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free!
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me!
You have broken every chain, 
There’s salvation in Your name, 
Jesus Christ, my living hope!

Then came the morning that sealed the promise,
Your buried body began to breathe.
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion 
Declared the grave has no claim on me! (Repeat) . . . 
Jesus, Yours is the victory! (Chorus)

The Anthem 
Planetshakers, 2013 A.D.

By His stripes we are healed,
By His nail-pierced hands we're free. 
By His blood, we're washed clean,
Now we have the victory.
The power of sin is broken,
Jesus overcame it all.
He was won our freedom,
Jesus has won it all.

Hallelujah, You have won the victory!
Hallelujah, You have won it all for me!
Death could not hold You down!
You are the risen King seated in majesty,
You are the risen King!


Abide in Me
Urban Doxology, 2012 A.D.

Abide in Me, take rest in Me,
Apart from Me, you can do nothing.
It is My will that you bear much fruit.
Abide in Me, take rest in Me, there’s work to do!


I am the Vine, you are the branches. 
You’re qualified to be a blessing. 
You are the clay, I am the Potter. 
Through you I will do great things! (Chorus and Verse)

Receive your strength, rejoice for I’m preparing you, 
I’m renewing you to bear much fruit.
Take your rest in Me.
Receive your strength, rejoice for I’m preparing you. 
I’m renewing you to bear much fruit.
Take your rest in Me! (Chorus)

Resurrecting
Elevation Worship, 2016 A.D.

The head that once was crowned with thorns 
Is crowned with glory now.
The Savior knelt to wash our feet
Now at His feet we bow.

The One who wore our sin and shame 
Now robed in majesty.
The radiance of perfect Love
Now shines for all to see.

Your name, Your name is victory!
All praise will rise to Christ our King!
(Repeat)

The fear that held us now gives way 
To Him who is our peace.
His final breath upon the cross
Is now alive in me. (Chorus + Bridge)

By Your Spirit I will rise from the ashes of defeat, 
The resurrected King is resurrecting me!
In Your name I come alive to declare Your victory, 
The resurrected King is resurrecting me! (3x)

The tomb where soldiers watched in vain 
Was borrowed for three days.
His body there would not remain,
Our God has robbed the grave.
Our God has robbed the grave! (Chorus + Bridge)

Prayers of Confession + Assurance Based on Romans 5:20-6:7

Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.

Benediction adapted from Isaiah 43:1-3


Do not be afraid, for Jesus has redeemed you; He has called you by your name, you are His through life, and death, and life after deah. When you go through the deepest waters and great trouble, He will be with you. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned; the flames will not consume you for He is yours, and you are His. For Jesus is the Lord, our God, our Savior. He is risen! He is risen indeed! Amen.



To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment