Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Christ Over the Coronavirus Eastertide FB Live Video + Liturgy | Wise and Wild with Christ and the Cross (or "How Does the Cross Make the Change?")

Christ of Saint John of the Cross by Salvador Dali, 1951 A.D.

" ... When they saw Jesus, they saw a rebel and a problem and they did everything to stop Him, even hung Him on a tree. But when I see Jesus, I see the Sovereign and the Savior, I see the Healer of the nations, I see the stone rolled away. Nobody thought that this Son of sorrows would be broken for love to fix our tomorrows. But it's the cross that made the change ... and I'll let everybody know that it's the cross that made the change. ... " + "The Cross Made the Change" by Common Hymnal w/ Justin Gray, 2018 A.D.

Sermon Scriptures | 1 Corinthians 1:18-25

Sermon Notes | 

The Cross made the change when .... 
+ Father, forgive themJesus was embodying the forgiveness of God 
+ Today you will be with Me in paradiseJesus was opening the door for paradise on earth  
+ Women, behold sonJesus was reconciling people to be the family of God together 
+ My God, why have You forsaken Me?Jesus was taking on God-forsaken evil and sin to show we are not forgotten or forsaken  
+ I thirstJesus thirsted for us to drink from His self-giving life  
+ It is finishedJesus finished the showcasing love, power, and wisdom of God, paying the debt of our sin, and exhausting power of evil 
+ Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit: Jesus revealed His complete trust in God the Father to glorify the Son through the power of the Spirit and to welcome us home
In accordance with state and national authorities, we will wait to return to the Fusion Center at 30 Tyler Prentice Road sometime later this spring or summer. In the meantime, we are still gathering every Saturday at 4:30 p.m. EST via Emmaus City Church Facebook Live. The liturgy with links to songs will be posted Saturday morning on our Facebook page beforehand. We would love for you to join with us! Also, you can contact us at info@emmauscitychurch.com.

Complementary Quote |

This is about life to death and back again. About finding your way, not always out of the darkness, but through it. About surviving the storms and lashing yourself to the bough that will not break — the cross of Christ. Sometimes trials capsize me, but even in the barrage of waves, tossed to and fro, I know now I have never been unanchored. I am shackled to the grace that lets me breathe under the weight of the tempest. As Charles Spurgeon said, "I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the Rock of Ages." 
+ Alia Joy, Glorious Weakness: Finding God in All We Lack

Call to Worship
 
Psalm 118:19-25
Keith Getty + Stuart Townend, 2001 A.D.

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song.
This Cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my all in all, here in the love of Christ I stand! 

In Christ alone who took on flesh, 
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness, 
Scorned by the ones He came to save. 
'Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied,
For every sin on Him was laid, here in the death of Christ I live! 

There in the ground His body lay, 
Light of the world by darkness slain. 
Then bursting forth in glorious Day, 
Up from the grave He rose again! 
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine, bought with the precious blood of Christ! 

No guilt in life, no fear in death, 
This is the power of Christ in me. 
From life's first cry to final breath, 
Jesus commands our destiny!
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand!
'Till He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I'll stand!

Chain Breaker
Zach Williams, 2016 A.D.

If you've been walking the same old road for miles and miles,
If you've been hearing the same old voice tell the same old lies, 
If you're trying to fill the same old holes inside,
There's a better life, there's a better life!

If you've got pain, He's a pain taker! 
If you feel lost, He's the Way maker!
If you need freedom or saving,
He's a prison-shaking Savior!
If you've got chains, He's a chain breaker!


We've all searched for the light of day in the dead of night. 
We've all found ourselves worn out from the same old fight.
 We've all run to things we know just ain't right,
But there's a better life, there's a better life! (Chorus)

If you believe it, if you receive it, if you can feel it,
Somebody testify! (Repeat 2x + Chorus)

Common Hymnal, 2018 A.D.

When they saw Jesus, they saw a teenage mother,
They saw an unbelieving brother, just a man in poverty.
But when I see Jesus, I see the Sovereign and a Savior,
I see the Healer of the nations, I see the stone rolled away.

Nobody thought that this Son of sorrows
Would be broken for love to fix our tomorrows! ...
But it’s the cross that made the change,
It’s the cross that made the change.
And I’ll let everybody know,
That it’s the cross that made the change.


When they saw Jesus, they saw a rebel and a problem.
They did everything to stop Him, even put Him on a tree.
But I when see Jesus, I see the Sovereign and the Savior,
I see the Healer of the nations, I see the glory from Galilee.
(Chorus)

Now when we see Jesus, we become like Jesus!
When we know how He sees us, we will never be the same!

Hillsong, 2012 A.D.

My hope is built on nothing less 
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, 
But wholly trust in Jesus' name.

Christ alone, cornerstone,
Weak made strong, in the Savior's love. 
Through the storm
He is Lord, Lord of all.


When darkness seems to hide His face, 
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil. (Chorus)

Then He shall come with trumpet sound! 
Oh, may I then in Him be found! 
Dressed in His righteousness alone, 
Faultless, stand before the throne! (Chorus)


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.

Benediction adapted from Numbers 6:24-26


May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you and protect you; may He smile upon you and be gracious to you; may He show you His favor and give you His peace. Amen.



To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment