Monday, October 14, 2019

Gospel Series Cont. | Matthew 10:16-31: Jesus' Fearless Power to Preserve Us & Protect Us to Proclaim + Saturday, October 12

The Calling of St. Matthew + Caravaggio, 1600 A.D.




“ … Tell me who you loyal to: Is it money? it is fame? Is it weed? Is it drink? … Tell me when your loyalty is comin' from the heart. … Do it start with your woman or your man? … Do it end with your family and friends? … Or are you loyal to yourself in advance? I said, tell me who you loyal to: Is it anybody that you would lie for? Anybody you would slide for? Anybody you would die for? That's what God’s for … " + Kendrick Lamar, "Loyalty"


Sermon Audio | Jesus' Fearless Power to Preserve Us & Protect Us to Proclaim

Sermon Scriptures | 
Matthew 10:16-31

Call to Worship | Psalm 116:1-2

I love the LORD because He has
heard my appeal for mercy. Because He has turned
His ear to me, I will call out to Him as long as I live.


Lord Have Mercy
M. Boswell, M. Papa & Co., 2019 A.D.

For what we have done and left undone,
We fall on Your countless mercies.
For sins that are known and those unknown,
We call on Your name so holy.
For envy and pride, for closing our eyes,
For scorning our very neighbor
In thought, word, and deed, we’ve failed You,
our King. How deeply we need a Savior.

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy on us! (Repeat)


For what You have done, Your life of love
You perfectly lived, we praise You.
Though tempted and tried, You fixed Your eyes,
You finished the work God gave You.
And there on the tree, a King among thieves,
You bled for a world’s betrayal.
You loved to the end, our merciful Friend,
How pure and forever faithful. (Chorus)


No Longer Slaves
Bethel Music, 2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God. (x2)


From my mothers womb, You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins. (Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea so I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned in perfect love!
You rescued me so I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

Surrounded (Fight My Battles)
Upper Room, 2018 A.D.

There’s a table that You’ve prepared for me
In the presence of my enemies.
It’s Your body and Your blood You shed for me.
This is how I fight my battles … (Repeat 1st Verse)

And I believe You’ve overcome
And I will lift my song of praise
For what You’ve done!

This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I ... (Repeat)


In the valley I know that You’re with me
And surely Your goodness and Your mercy follow me.
So my weapons are praise and thanksgiving.
This is how I fight my battles … (Chorus)

It 
may look like I'm surrounded,
But I'm surrounded by You!

All the Poor and Powerless
All Sons and Daughters, 2011 A.D.

All the poor and powerless,
And all the lost and lonely.
All the thieves will come confess,
And know that You are holy.
And know that You are holy.

And all will sing out, "Hallelujah!"
And we will cry out, "Hallelujah!'


All the hearts who are content,
And all who feel unworthy.
And all who hurt with nothing left
Will know that You are holy. (Chorus)

Shout it, go on and scream it from the mountains,
Go on and tell it to the masses, that He is God! (Chorus)

It Is Well with My Soul
Horatio G. Spafford, 1876 A.D.

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say
“It is well, it is well, with my soul!”

It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul),
It is well, it is well, with my soul!


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this bless’d assurance control
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate and
Hath shed His own blood for my soul! (Refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, O my soul! (Refrain)

And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul! (Refrain)


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: Jesus, too often we are afraid of what's been
done to us, what we have or have not done to others.
We ask for Your forgiveness. Renew our hope
that we are no longer slaves to sin or fear.
All: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.

Congregational Prayers

One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...

All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power. 


Benediction Based on Matthew 28:18-20

Go in the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He is the Prince of Peace and all authority is His
in heaven and on earth to make all things new.
Welcome people into the family of the Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit. Become disciples who make
disciples who baptize, teach, and love.
Don't be afraid. He is always good and true.
And He is with you always.

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment