Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Gospel Series Cont. | Matthew 9:18-10:16: Jesus Freely Gave So We Could Receive & Give + Saturday, October 5

The Calling of St. Matthew + Caravaggio, 1600 A.D.




As you go, proclaim: ‘The Kingdom of heaven has come near.’  Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those with leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you received, freely give. + Jesus (Matthew 10:7-8)


Sermon Audio | Jesus Freely Gave So We Could Receive & Give

Sermon Scriptures |
Matthew 9:18-10:16

Call to Worship | Song of Songs 3:2

I will arise now and go about the city,
through the streets and the plazas. 

I will seek the one I love.

Arise, My Soul, Arise
Charles Wesley, 1742 A.D.

Arise, my soul, arise, shake off your guilty fears;
The bleeding sacrifice on my behalf appears;
Before the throne my Surety stands,
Before the throne my Surety stands,
My name is written on His hands!

Arise (arise), arise (arise), arise
Arise, my soul, arise! (2x) ...
Shake off your guilty fears and rise!


He ever lives above for me to intercede;
His all redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead;
His blood atoned for every race,
His blood atoned for every race,
And sprinkles now the throne of grace! (Chorus)

The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One;
He cannot turn away the presence of His Son;
The Spirit answers to the blood,
The Spirit answers to the blood,
And tells me I am born of God. (Chorus)

This is Amazing Grace
Phil Wickham, 2013 A.D.

Who breaks the power of sin and darkness?
Whose love is mighty and so much stronger?
The King of Glory, the King above all kings!
Who shakes the whole earth with holy thunder?
And leaves us breathless in awe and wonder?
The King of Glory, the King above all kings!

This is amazing grace, this is unfailing love,
That You would take my place,
That You would bear my cross!
You lay down Your life that I would be set free!
Jesus, I sing for all that You've done for me!


Who brings our chaos back into order?
Who makes the orphan a son and daughter?
The King of Glory, the King above all kings!
Who rules the nations with truth and justice,
Shines like the sun in all of its brilliance!
The King of Glory, the King above all kings!
(Chorus)

Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!
Worthy is the King who conquered the grave!

Jesus Love Me + How He Loves
Anna Bartlett + John Mark McMillan
1860 A.D., 2005 A.D.

Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me,
Yes, Jesus loves me,
Yes, Jesus loves me,
The Bible tells me so.


Jesus loves me, He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide.
He will wash away my sin
Let His little child come in. (Chorus)

He loves us, oh, how He loves us!
Oh, how He loves us!
Oh, how He loves!

Surrounded (Fight My Battles)
Upper Room, 2018 A.D.

There’s a table that You’ve prepared for me
In the presence of my enemies.
It’s Your body and Your blood You shed for me.
This is how I fight my battles … (Repeat 1st Verse)

And I believe You’ve overcome
And I will lift my song of praise
For what You’ve done!

This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I fight my battles,
This is how I ... (Repeat)


In the valley I know that You’re with me
And surely Your goodness and Your mercy follow me.
So my weapons are praise and thanksgiving.
This is how I fight my battles … (Chorus)

It may look like I'm surrounded,
But I'm surrounded by You!

Jesus is Better
Austin Stone Music, 2013 A.D.

There is no other so sure and steady.
My hope is held in Your hand.
When castles crumble and breath is fleeting,
Upon this Rock I will stand.
Upon this Rock I will stand!

Glory, glory, we have no other king
But Jesus Lord of all!
Raise the anthem, our loudest praises ring –
We crown Him Lord of all!


Your kindly rule has shattered and broken
The curse of sin's tyranny.
My life is hidden 'neath Heaven's shadow,
Your crimson flood covers me!
Your crimson flood covers me! (Chorus)

In all my sorrows, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe!
In all my victories, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe!
More than any comfort, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe!
More than all riches, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe!
Our souls declaring, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe!
Our song eternal, Jesus is better
– Make my heart believe! (Chorus)


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

All: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.
One: Jesus, You have freely given Your love
for us to receive. May we do the same to others
with the names and faces that come to mind now ...

Congregational Prayers
All: Lord, hear our prayer.


One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...
All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power.


Benediction Based on Matthew 28:18-20

Go in the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He is the Prince of Peace and all authority is His
in heaven and on earth to make all things new.
Welcome people into the family of the Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit. Become disciples who make
disciples who baptize, teach, and love.
Don't be afraid. He is always good and true.
And He is with you always.

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment