Thursday, March 28, 2019

Ecclesiastes Series | Is the Word + Table of the King Supreme? (Eccles. 8:2-17) + Lenten Saturday, March 23





At the Table of the King whose Word is supreme, we celebrate the unconditional love of God while we align ourselves with the joyful Kingdom of God. 


Sermon Audio | Ecclesiastes: Is the Word + Table of the King Supreme?
Sermon Scriptures | Ecclesiastes 8:2-17

Isaiah 25:6 On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine—the best of meats and the finest of wines. 7 On this mountain He will destroy the shroud that enfolds all peoples, the sheet that covers all nations; 8 He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces; He will remove His people’s disgrace from all the earth. The Lord has spoken. 9 In that day they will say, “Surely this is our God; we trusted in Him, and He saved us. This is the Lord, we trusted in Him; let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.”

Sermon Movie Scenes | Lord of the Rings Extended Edition: The Fellowship of the Ring

+ Boromir: Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king.
+ Boromir: I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king ... 


Sermon Notes | 

(1) Is the Covenant of the King Supreme? (8:2):
… Keep the king’s command, because of God’s oath to him.
(2) Is the Communion of the King Supreme? (8:3): Be not hasty to go from his presence …
(3) Is the Remembrance of the King Supreme? (8:5): Whoever keeps a command will know no evil thing …
(4) Is the Anticipation of the King Supreme? (8:12): I know that it will be well with those who fear God …
(5) Is the Forgiveness of the King Supreme? (8:13): … it will not be well with the wicked …
(6) Is the Nourishment of the King Supreme? (8:15):
(7) Is the Eucharist of the King Supreme? (8:15): And I commend joy, for man has nothing better under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him …


+ Is the Word + Table of the King Supreme? (8:4, 15): For the word of the king is supreme … eat and drink and be joyful

(1) Jesus' Covenant Table (Mk. 14): While they were eating, this is My blood of the covenant poured out for many
(2) Jesus' Communion Table (1 Cor. 10): There is one bread, one body in Christ … When you come together to eat …
(3) Jesus' Remembrance Table (1 Cor. 11): Do this as often as you drink it in remembrance of Me
(4) Jesus' Anticipation Table (Lk. 22): I have eagerly desired to eat this … I will not drink again until the Kingdom of God comes fully
(5) Jesus' Forgiveness Table (Matt. 26): Eat, drink this … poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins …
(6) Jesus' Nourishment Table (Jn. 6): I am the Bread of Life. Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry, thirsty …
(7) Jesus' Eucharist Table (Acts 2): Broke bread … with glad and generous hearts, praising God …

What if I told you joy + eating with the King in the face of death was the theme of Eccles. 5:18-20, 8:15? 5:18 … It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. 19 … this is indeed a gift from God. 20 God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past. … 8:15 And I commend joy, for man has nothing better under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun. 

Sermon Series Album | Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope

Not in a Hurry
United Pursuit Music, 2017 A.D.

Lord, I don’t want to rush on ahead
In my own strength
When You’re right here. (Repeat)

I’m not in a hurry when it comes to Your Spirit,
When it comes to Your presence,
When it comes to Your voice.
I’m learning to listen, just to rest in Your nearness,
I’m starting to notice You are speaking.


Lord, I want to love like You,
I want to feel what You feel,
I want to see what You see.
(Repeat + Chorus 2x)

Open my eyes, I want to see You.
Open my ears, I want to hear You speak.
Tell me Your thoughts, what's on Your mind.
I’ll be Your friend, I want to see through Your eyes,
I want to see through Your eyes. (Chorus 2x)

Let Justice Roll
Sojourn Worship, 2015 A.D.

Forgive us Lord, for passing by
When children cry for bread.
Forbid it Lord, that justice lies
In tatters, cold and dead.
Outside these walls run desperate streets
Where greed is law and life is cheap.
We bar the doors, refuse to see,
Or hear the words You said:

Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!
Let justice roll like a river,
Like a river, let it roll!


Convict us Lord, we dance and laugh
Ignoring those who weep.
Correct us Lord, our golden calf
Has lulled our hearts to sleep.
The gap between the rich and poor
Grows ever wider, shore to shore.
There’s racial hate, religious war
And wolves among the sheep. (Chorus)

Indwell us Lord, and purify 

Our hands to work for You.

Enlist us Lord, to serve nearby 

And ʻcross the waters, too.

Your image-bearers on the earth 

Will never know how much theyʼre worth

Unless we love and help them first 

And show the way to You! (Chorus)

The Rock Won't Move
Vertical Church Band, 2013 A.D.

When the ground beneath my feet gives way,
And I hear the sound of crashing waves,
All my world is washing out to sea.
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of the Truth
That You are holding tighter still to me.

The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone!
The Rock won't move and His word is strong,
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone,
The Rock of our Salvation!


My hope is in the promise of Your blood,
My support within the raging flood,
Even in the tempest, I can sing!
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves,
Holding fast to the promise of Your Truth
That You are holding tighter still to me!
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah, Woah, the Rock of our salvation!

On Christ the Solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace,
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move!
(Chorus)


Land of the Rising Sun
Ike Ndolo, 2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning, 
The tomb is reaching out.
Oh, but they can't have me! 
Oh, but they can't have me!
The crows are circling, 
The jackal waits in the dark.
Oh, but they can't have me! 
Oh, but they can't have me!

I belong to the land of the rising Son
Where the grave is no more, 
The war has been won!
I belong to the land of the rising Son,
I belong to You, I belong!

The world is in my bones, 
It makes me wrestle with You.
Oh, but You have claimed me! 
Oh, but You have claimed me!
No matter how far I've gone, 
Even to the devil's table.
Oh, my God, You've claimed me! 
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
(Chorus)

Through my wandering and my failing, 
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the fire and the darkness, 
Through the sadness, I belong!
I'm just a rebel who's tired of fighting, 
So I'm laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising, 
The sun is rising! (Chorus

Lord, I Need You
Chris Tomlin, 2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense, my righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is where You are.
And where You are, Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me! (Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay. (Chorus


Fill Me Up
Tasha Cobbs + Will Reagan, 2015 A.D.

You provide the fire, I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit, I will open up inside.

Fill me up, God (x3) ... Fill me up.

Love of God, overflow. 
Permeate all my soul.
Fill me up until I overflow! 
I want to run over,
I want to run over!

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power.


Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Silent Congregational Prayers

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction based on Psalm 130:5-7; Ecclesiastes 3:11a; Isaiah 33:17

Wait for the LORD and in His Word put your hope. God has made everything beautiful in its time. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar. Go with the grace and peace of Jesus, the King of kings.

Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: How Do You Have a Blast While You Last? (Eccles. 9:1-12) w/ Pastor Tra'Vorus Weaver

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment