Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Sermon on the Mount Series | Matthew 7:13-23: Straightforward and Secure + Saturday, July 21




You can trust Jesus because He is straightforward. You can be secure in Jesus because He is the gate who comes looking to welcome you in.


"I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller (G.K. Chesterton)." We invite you to the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Story of God found in the Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to redeem and restore what we have broken; heal us; and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and peace to our world. Check out the Story of God.


Questions as You Consider Jesus

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Homily Scriptures | Matthew 7:13-23

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer seeking more from Jesus
Jesus, You claim to be the Way,
the Truth and the Life.
If what You claim is true,
please reveal to me who You are.
Give me an understanding of You
that is clear and convincing. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus
Jesus, grant that we may be filled
by You, the true Bread and Vine.
Be present with us, strengthen us,
and empower us to be Your witnesses
together as we seek first Your Kingdom
until You return and make all things new. Amen.

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

In Tenderness He Sought Me
W. Spencer Walton, 1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me

To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

What a Beautiful Name
Hillsong United, 2016 A.D.

You were the Word at the beginning,
One With God the Lord Most High.
Your hidden glory in creation
Now revealed in You our Christ.

What a beautiful name it is,
What a beautiful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a beautiful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a beautiful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


You didn't want heaven without us,
So Jesus, You brought heaven down.
My sin was great, Your love was greater,
What could separate us now.

What a wonderful name it is,
What a wonderful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a wonderful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a wonderful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.


Death could not hold You,
The veil tore before You,
You silenced the boast of sin and grave!
The heavens are roaring
The praise of Your glory,
For You are raised to life again!
You have no rival, You have no equal!
Now and forever, our God reigns!
Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory,
Yours is the name above all names!

What a powerful name it is,
What a powerful name it is,
The Name of Jesus Christ, my King.
What a powerful Name it is,
Nothing compares to this.
What a powerful Name it is,
The Name of Jesus.

In Christ Alone
Keith Getty & Stuart Townend, 2001 A.D.

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song.
This Cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
'Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied,
For every sin on Him was laid,
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain.
Then bursting forth in glorious Day,
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine,
Bought with the precious blood of Christ!

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands our destiny!
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand!
'Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand!

Lord, I Need You
By Chris Tomlin
2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense,
My righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep,
Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is
Where You are.
And where You are,
Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me!
(Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay.
(Chorus)

Homily Prayer of Response
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Jesus, You are straightforward,
promising us You are the
secure door that leads to life
now and always.

Response: Forgive us for looking
for other doors that ultimately open us to death.
Help us to trust You and walk with You.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Thank You, Father, for making the way
home to You in Jesus. Keep calling many home
through us as we share Your Gospel Story and
as You promise to bring Your Kingdom here soon.
We pray as Jesus taught us to pray:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Benediction 

As Jesus said, "You will receive power
when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be My witnesses ... "
So you are sent out in the strength
and peace of the Holy Spirit of God to
welcome, witness, and worship so
the Gospel Story of God will be heard,
believed, and revealed to many more.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God the Father,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment