Thursday, June 7, 2018

Sermon on the Mount Series | Matthew 6:19-24: What Do You Treasure? + Saturday, June 2, 2018



 


Jesus gave up all His treasure in heaven, in order to make you His treasure – for you are a treasured people (1 Peter 2:9-10). “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you by His poverty might become rich” (2 Corinthians 8:9). When you see Him dying to make you his treasure, that will make Him yours. + Tim Keller, Counterfeit Gods


Spirituality Questions

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Old Testament Scriptures | Psalm 119:162-172

New Testament Scriptures | Matthew 6:19-24

Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: God, Your salvation
give to us through the life,
death on the cross,
and resurrection of Jesus
is the greatest gift we could ever receive.

Response: Forgive us for settling
for lesser treasures. Give us eyes to see
that You are all we need, and only You
can satisfy our deepest desires.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Thank You that You have given us
what we need in Jesus. Save us from the
darkness we run to and often hide in.
Bring Your light to reveal and rescue.
We pray as Jesus taught us to pray:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church


Doxology
By Thomas Ken
1674 A.D.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Glory to Thee my God this night
For all the blessings of the light.
Keep me, O keep me King of kings
Under the shadow of Thy wings.

Lord, let my soul forever share
The bliss of Thy paternal care.
‘Tis heav’n on earth, ‘tis heav’n above
To seek Thy face and sing Thy love.

Amen, amen, amen, amen.

King of My Heart
By John Mark McMillan
and Sarah McMillan
2015 A.D.

Let the King of my heart
Be the mountain where I run,
The fountain I drink from;
Oh He is my song.
Let the King of my heart
Be the shadow where I hide,
The ransom for my life;
Oh, He is my song!

You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!
You are good, good, oh!


Let the King of my heart
Be the wind inside my sails,
The anchor in the waves;
Oh, He is my song.
Let the King of my heart
Be the fire inside my veins,
And the echo of my days;
Oh, He is my song!
(Chorus)

You’re never gonna let,
Never gonna let me down!

Establish the Work of Our Hands
By Aaron Keyes, Sandra McCracken, and Urban Doxology
2017 A.D.

If You don't build it, we labor in vain.
Without Your Spirit, we stand with no strength.
I know my life is passing away,
But the works of Your hands will remain.

Let the favor of the LORD rest upon us.
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!


Teach us to number the length of our days.
Pour out Your power, we'll pour out Your praise.
Teach us to run, to finish the race,
For only what's done in love will remain.
(Chorus)

Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia!

Revelation Song
By Phillips, Craig, and Dean
2009 A.D.

Worthy is the
Lamb who was slain,
Holy, Holy, is He.
Sing a new song, to Him who sits on
Heaven's Mercy Seat.

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come!
With all creation I sing:
Praise to the King of Kings!
You are my everything,
And I will adore You!


Clothed in rainbows of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder;
Blessing and honor, strength and
Glory and power be
To You the only wise King!
(Chorus)

Filled with wonder,
Awestruck wonder
At the mention of Your Name.
Jesus, Your Name is Power,
Bread, and Living Water
Such a marvelous mystery!
(Chorus)


Offering
By Ike Ndolo
2013 A.D.

My hands shake with guilt and shame,
Still You love me, love me.
Your eyes are bright
And shine so full of mercy, mercy.

Jesus, Bread of Life, Bread for all.
This is my offering, this my everything,
The Son of God who bled and died
And rose again for me.

(Repeat)

Your flesh You gave for all
So we could see You, see You.
Your blood poured for all
So we could know You, know You.
(Chorus)

Fill Me Up
By Tasha Cobbs & Will Reagan
2015 A.D.

You provide the fire,
I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit,
I will open inside.

Fill me up, God,
Fill me up, God,
Fill me up, God,
Fill me up.

Love of God, overflow.
Permeate all my soul.

Fill me up
Until I overflow!
I want to run over,
I want to run over!

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 123
1563 A.D.

Q. What does "Your Kingdom come" mean?
A. “Your Kingdom come” means:
Rule us by Your Word and Spirit
in such a way that more and
more we submit to You. 
Preserve Your Church and make it grow. 2
Destroy the devil’s work; destroy every force
which revolts against You and
every conspiracy against Your holy Word. 3
Do this until Your Kingdom fully comes,
when You will be all in all. 4


1 Psalm 119:5, 105; 143:10; Matthew 6:33
2 Psalm 122:6-9; Matthew 16:18; Acts 2:42-47
3 Romans 16:20; 1 John 3:8
4 Romans 8:22-23; 1 Corinthian 15:28;
Revelation 22:17, 20

Sermon on the Mount Benediction 
Based on Matthew 5-7

King Jesus, please bless us to embrace the joy
You give us in our brokenness and mourning,
eternal blessing that humbles the might,
intellect, and comforts of this current world.
Transform us into Your Kingdom community
through the crucible of Your way of the cross.
Write Your Kingdom rule and reign on our hearts
making us pure by Your perfect love, mercy, and justice.
May a watching world see Your light, taste Your salt,
and be welcomed into Your city on a hill through us.
Embolden us to be Your Kingdom ambassadors,
change agents who display the Good News You offer.
Make us decrease so that You might increase.
Stir in us Your grace, compassion, and sacrifice
for those who would seek to marginalize
and silence us because of You.
Everything we need is Yours to give us.
You are the treasure that we desperately seek.
You invite us home as prodigals
returning to our Father’s embrace;
Your prayer for the Kingdom coming
provides the answer to all our longings.
Free us of any fear, distraction, craving, or anxiety
that would keep us from fully following You
and building our lives on the Rock that is Your Word.
By Your Holy Spirit, keep us on
Your path of justice and righteousness.
It is with You, King Jesus, that hope is secure,
for us and all of creation, now and forever.

Now go in the blessing and name of King Jesus
by the power of His personally-transforming
grace and world-restoring peace. Amen.


Next sermon audio and liturgy: Sermon on the Mount | Matthew 6:24-34: The Care of Our Father is the Cure for the Anxious Heart

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment