Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Abide in Jesus Series: Turning from Our Blinding and Destructive Lust to Fully Seeing Our Powerfully Pure Savior of Relentless Love + Saturday, March 11, 2017




Previous Sermons and Liturgies in Abide in Jesus Series:


Jesus Is Our Gift and our Goal + Winter 2017
Turning from Our Disgraceful Pride to Our Gracious Savior + Winter 2017 
Turning from Our Slothful Indifference to Our Zealously Righteous Savior + Winter 2017
Turning from Our Exiling Envy to Our Welcoming Savior of Sorrows and Joy + Winter 2017 


Welcome! Bienvenido! Akwaaba! Mirë se vjen! خوش آمدید Bem-vindos! 歡迎光臨!

We have the privilege to love and serve this city as His Church – His family of servants and ambassadors – in multicultural communities who are learning how to humbly follow Jesus in every area of life, to graciously love our neighbors, and to generously serve our city for the glory of God and for the life of the world. Emmaus City welcomes you and invites you to hear and respond to the gospel, the history-altering, world-changing, life-transforming good news that Jesus is King – our Savior, Healer, Redeemer, Reconciler, Champion, Friend – and that He is bringing the joy and justice of God's Kingdom to Worcester.

Perhaps the greatest thing that we can do is to behold, to rediscover the beautiful in order to recover our humanity. In John 12, Mary barges in and breaks open this jar of nard that she's been saving up all her life to anoint Jesus. The disciples are furious as she is doing only what a woman should be allowed to do on her wedding day to anoint her bridegroom. But Jesus says, “She has done a beautiful thing to Me.” Mary is responding to when Jesus wept before he raised her brother, Lazarus, from the dead. In this seemingly "useless" beauty of His sorrow, something powerful was flowing through Him to her. Jesus says that wherever the Gospel is preached, people will hear of Mary's beautiful anointing act. God desires for us so much more than the transactional. It is really about the gift that we've been given. And we need to tell this story, not the story of pragmatism, not the story of utility. Jesus seemed to indicate that this "useless" beauty is a door into the Gospel. + Makoto Fujimara

We no longer dare to believe in beauty and we make of it a mere appearance in order the more easily to dispose of it. Our situation today shows that beauty demands for itself at least as much courage and decision as do truth and goodness. + Hans Urs van Balthasar

Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures. + St. Aquinas

Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. He lives a sheltered life by always giving in. Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means – the only complete realist. + C.S. Lewis

Many might say that for me as a gay Christian to abstain from sex means that I'm choosing to pitiably shelter myself from the only life worth living. But if we accept the New Testament's teaching that Jesus Christ is the measure of true humanity, though He never sinned sexually, and yet He was the truest, fullest human being who has ever lived, then sex is not the answer to fulfillment. Does this mean that everyone who wants to share the true humanity of Jesus must be celibate? No, but it shifts the terms of our modern thinking about sexuality. It dislodges our assumption that having sex is necessary to be truly, fully alive. If Jesus abstained and if He is the measure of what counts as true humanity, then I may abstain too – and trust that, in so doing, I will not ultimately lose. + Wesley Hill

Bible Passages John 15:1-11; Matthew 5:827-28; Psalm 136:1-4, 23-26; Romans 1:21-25; Hosea 2:14-20; and Ephesians 5:25-27


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church


Jesus’ Prayer for His Disciples

Matthew 6:9-13

Our Father in heaven, 
May Your name be kept holy.
May Your Kingdom come.
May Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
And forgive us our sins
As we have forgiven those
Who sin against us.
And don’t let us
Yield to temptation,
But rescue us
From the evil one.
(For Yours is the Kingdom,
The power and the glory forever. Amen.)


Relentless
By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

Salvation sounds a new beginning
As distant hearts begin believing.
Redemption's bid is unrelenting,
Your love goes onYour love goes on!

You carry us, carry us
When the world gives way!
You cover us, cover us
With Your endless grace!
Your love is relentless (x4)!

The time is up for chasing shadows,
You gave the world the Light to follow,
A hope that shines beyond tomorrow,
Your love goes onYour love goes on!
(Chorus)

Tearing through the veil of darkness,
Breaking every chain, You set us free!
Fighting for the furthest heart You gave
Your life for all to see!

You carry us, carry us 
(Your love is relentless)!
You cover us, cover us
(Your love is relentless)!

Stuart Townend
1995 A.D.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call our among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life,
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart -
His wounds have paid my ransom!

Man of Sorrows
By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

Man of sorrowsLamb of God,
By His own betrayed;
The sin of man and wrath of God
Has been on Jesus laid.
Silent as He stood accused,
Beaten mocked and scorned.
Bowing to the Father's will,
He took a crown of thorns.

On that rugged cross,
My salvation,
Where Your love
Poured out over me!

Now my soul cries out,
"Hallelujah!
Praise and honor unto You!"

Sent of heaven God's own Son
To purchase and redeem,
And reconcile the very ones
Who nailed Him to that tree.
(Chorus)

Now my debt is paid,
It is paid in full
By the precious blood
That my Jesus spilled!
Now the curse of sin
Has no hold on me;
Whom the Son sets free
Oh, is free indeed!
(Chorus)

See the stone is rolled away,
Behold the empty tomb.
Hallelujah! God be praised!
He's risen from the grave!
(Chorus)

By John Mark McMillan
2010 A.D.

He is jealous for me, 
Loves like a hurricane,
I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight
Of His wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden
I am unaware of these
Afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just
How beautiful You are
And how great
Your affections are for me!

And oh, how He loves us,
Oh, how He loves us,
How He loves us all!
(Repeat Verse and Chorus)

And we are His portion, 
And He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption
By the grace in His eyes!
If His grace is an ocean,
We're all sinking!
And heaven meets earth
Like an unforeseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently
Inside of my chest;
I don't have time to
Maintain these regrets
When I think about the way:
(Chorus)

By Kristian Stanfill
2010 A.D.

Your love never fails,
It never gives up,
It never runs out on me!

And it's higher than
The mountains that I face,
And it's stronger than
The power of the grave,
And it's constant in the trial
And the change;
This one thing remains!
(Chorus)

And on and on and on 
And on it goes!
Yes, it overwhelms and satisfies
And I never, ever,
Have to be afraid!
This one thing remains,
This one thing remains!
(Chorus)

In death, in life
I'm confident and covered by
The power of Your great love!
My debt is paid,
There's nothing that can separate
My heart from Your great love!
(Chorus)

By Anonymous
1811 A.D.


What wondrous love is this,
O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this,
O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul.


When I was sinking down, 
Sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down,
Sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown
For my soul, for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown
for my soul.


To God and to the Lamb, 
We will sing, we will sing;
To God and to the Lamb
We will sing.
To God and to the Lamb
Who is the great “I Am”;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing, we will sing;
While millions join the theme,
We will sing.


Oh how high, oh how wide
Oh how deep is Your love!
Oh my soul, set on fire
By Your wondrous love for us!

And when from death we're free, 
We'll sing on, we’ll sing on;
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing on.
And when from death we're free,
We’ll sing and joyful be,
And through eternity we’ll sing on,
We’ll sing on,
And through eternity we’ll sing on.
(Repeat Bridge)

Our World Belongs to God: 
God's New People (34-35)
2008 A.D.

Q. How does God respond to us
in our brokenness, sin, and need
through Christ and His Church?

A. In our world,
where many journey alone,
nameless in the bustling crowd,
Satan and his evil forces
seek whom they may scatter and isolate;
but God, by His gracious choosing in Christ,
gathers a new community—
those who by God’s gift
put their trust in Christ.
In the new community
all are welcome:
the homeless come home,
the broken find healing,
the sinner makes a new start,
the despised are esteemed,
the least are honored,
and the last are first.
Here the Spirit guides
and grace abounds.
The Church is the fellowship of those
who confess Jesus as Lord.
She is the bride of Christ,
His chosen partner,
loved by Jesus and loving Him:
delighting in His presence,
seeking Him in prayer—
silent before the mystery of His love.

1 Peter 2:4-7, 5:5-7; Matthew 10:32-33, 11:28-30; Ephesians 2:6; 5:21-33; 1 John 3:11-17, 4:13-21; Revelation 21:9

Benediction

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. + Ephesians 3:20-21


+ Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment