Sunday, May 10, 2015

Church Planter Anthems | Citizens & Saints

Emmaus City Church Worcester MA Soma Acts 29 3DM Transcultural Kingdom Christian Reformed Church Multi-ethnic Network of Missional Communities

God's answers to my asking, "Oh God, how can I be satisfied in you right now" were answered in how He has made me alive to know and sing "Father, You are all I need."

 

My last post was a confession, a lament for where I was and how I felt. God's answers don't have to be immediate during times like these. Often, in the waiting, an understanding of my deeper need for my Creator, Sustainer, Healer, Rescuer, Savior, and King is made much more apparent in my mind and heart. And then, when the Light of the world breaks through, I see Him more clearly because I've been looking for the One who can only satisfy.

His compassionate answer this time came in the form of a song recommendation from Emmaus City's associate director of liturgy arts. In the midst of our meeting last week and praying for and discussing how the Story of God throughout all of Scripture can be revealed during a service of worship through the songs we sing, the prayers we pray, the Scriptures we read, the message that is preached, and the Communion meal that is shared she shared with me an alternate liturgy she created for the John 4:1-41 passage I preached on recently. It was beautiful.

In her liturgy, she included the song "Made Alive" by Citizens & Saints as the introduction to the service of worship. I had not heard it yet, so we listened to it together. What a gift! I have listened to that song each day since she shared it with me and included it yesterday for the time of joyfully enjoying the Eucharist. But before I get into why "Made Alive" was such a gift of God from her to me, this introduction to Citizens & Saints also led me to discover the song "Oh God." And, oh God, did He know I needed to add this set of lyrics to my previous confession and lament.

"Oh God" lyrics

By Citizens & Saints 


In the valley, Oh God, You're near.
In the quiet, Oh God, You're near.
In the shadow, Oh God, You're near.
At my breaking, Oh God, You're near. 


Oh God, You never leave my side.
Your love will stand firm for all my life.
 


In my searching, Oh God, You're near.
In my wandering, Oh God, You're near.
When I feel alone, Oh God, You're near.
At my lowest, Oh God, You're near.

(Repeat Chorus)

Height nor depth nor anything else
Could pull us apart,
We are joined as one by Your blood!
Hope will rise as we become more
Than conquerors through
The One who loved the world!

(Repeat Chorus 3x) 

Our God is not only omnipotent, He is imminent. These lyrics also stirred my memory of an opportunity I had to share the good news of God's grace with a young man who has recently come out of being locked up and is now working at a cafe in our city. He was wondering about God and how far His love extends to even him. He mentioned that God often frightened him because he had done things he wasn't sure he could come back from or would be forgiven of by God. In that moment with him, God gave me these words in Romans 8, words that I certainly need to hear right now for myself and that "Oh God" repeats in the refrain. 

Romans 8:1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. ... 35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? ... 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. 38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

What incredible words, and ones I need to be reminded of right now again and again! And, as a bonus, Romans 8:10-11 provides the basis for the theme of "Made Alive," along with words from Ephesians 2.

Romans 8:10 And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. 11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you. ... Ephesians 2:1 Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God’s anger, just like everyone else. But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!)

"Made Alive" lyrics



I once was dead in sin, alone and hopeless.
A child of wrath I walked condemned in darkness.
But Your mercy brought new life and in Your love and kindness,
Raised me up with Christ and made me righteous. 


You have bought me back with the riches of,
Your amazing grace and relentless love!
I'm made alive forever, with You, life forever,
By Your grace I'm saved! By your grace I'm saved!
 


Lord, You are the Light, that broke the darkness.
You satisfy my soul when I am heartless.
If ever I forget my true identity,
Show me who I am and help me to believe!

(Repeat chorus)

My sin has been erased, I'll never be the same!
(Repeat chorus 2x)
 

The lines " ... You satisfy my soul when I am heartless. If ever I forget my true identity, show me who I am and help me to believe! ... " are such a beautiful answer to my painful questioning and wondering. I need to be brought back from my own thoughts, frustration, and discouragement so often. And with the overwhelming truth that God has and will continue to bring me back from death and darkness and has made me alive through His amazing grace and relentless love I have been comforted and strengthened by Him again today, and am thankful to sing the words of the prayer Jesus taught His disciples to pray through the song, "Father You Are All We Need." I invite you to join with me in singing them, too. If God is the God that all of these songs sing of based on how He has revealed Himself through His Word and His Spirit, then we can sing even in the darkness knowing that the Light has come and the darkness will not overcome us when we remain in Him. Thank God His Kingdom will reign forever.

"Father You Are All We Need" lyrics

By Citizens & Saints


 

Our Father who in heaven reigns 
How great and mighty is Your name. 
Your kingdom come, Your will be done 
Now here on earth as is above. 
O give to us our daily bread 
And keep our hungry spirits fed. 
May all our satisfaction be 
In You whose grace has set us free. 

Give us hope give us faith 
Help us trust in Your guidance. 
From the depths of Your grace 
You have richly provided. 
Thank You, thank You, 
Father, You are all we need. 
Father You are all we need. 

Forgive us all our trespasses 
As we forgive when sinned against. 
Though evil seeks to hide Your face, 
We fix our eyes on You by faith. 
 (Repeat Chorus 2x) 

We lift You high above all names! 
Your kingdom will forever reign! 
To You the glory and the power forevermore!

 Emmaus City Church Worcester MA Soma Acts 29 3DM Transcultural Kingdom Christian Reformed Church Multi-ethnic Network of Missional Communities

For previous church planter anthems, check these out: 

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) 

Next post: Church Planter Anthems Phase 3 | Part 1 of 3: Kings Kaleidscope "Felix Culpa" and "Grace Alone" Lyrics 

 Sully 

No comments:

Post a Comment