Monday, March 3, 2014

Church Planter Anthems | God I Look to You

Emmaus City Church Austin Stone Aaron Ivey God I Look to You Church Planter Anthems Part 2

 

God I look to you and I won't be overwhelmed  Church Planter Anthems Part 2 of 3


Recently, I began to focus on some songs God is using to humble and shape my heart in my life right now. I decided to call this series of posts: "Church Planter Anthems". The first was:


And here is the second:

"God I Look to You"

by Austine Stone Worship

(c) 2013 




Verse 1
God I look to You
And I won't be overwhelmed.
Give me vision
To see things like You do. (x2)

Verse 2
God I look to You
And You're where my help comes from.
Give me wisdom
You know just what to do.

 Bridge
And I will love You, Lord, my Strength.
And I will love You, Lord, my Shield.
And I will love You, Lord, my Rock.
Forever all my days, I will love You, God.

Chorus
Hallelujah, our God reigns. (x3)
Forever all my days, Hallelujah.


Simple lyrics. But so beautiful. One of the main reasons I love this song is because I have taught it to my two-year-old son. Now, every night when I put him to bed, we sing it together. In fact, he asks me to sing it with him even during the times when I'm trying to rush through the process. I think it's because he knows I need to hear the words more than ever. And his child-like voice is the cry of my heart for the Father to show me He's with me because I've been too often living as if He doesn't exist.

"God I look to You and I won't be overwhelmed ... "

I am too often too busy. I have a hard time resting when I 'm looking at what I need to do in order to be a good husband, father of four, friend, neighbor, citizen of Worcester, full-time director of marketing communications at Clark University and full-time church planting pastor of Emmaus City. When I'm just looking at how to control what's on my plate, I can feel so overwhelmed. I'm tempted to think I need to be great in order for things to turn out well when, in fact, I need to look to God who is great and who is in control and trust He has a better plan that includes resting in His sovereignty. I love that this song starts with the words, "God I look to You and I won't be overwhelmed ..." because I need to remember these words every day, often many times throughout the day. Otherwise I will be a slave to how I'm trying to create my identity instead of resting in the freeing identity God has given me as His son because of Jesus. By His Spirit, I can cry out, "Abba, Father, I need You. All these things are possible for You. I don't have to be afraid or enslaved to expectations. And I don't have to drink the wrathful cup of not meeting expectations because Jesus has performed perfectly on my behalf. I can rest in what Jesus has done to make me one of Your sons. Help me, please" (Romans 8:15; Mark 14:36; Galatians 4:6). 

" ... Give me vision to see things like You do. ... "

Too often I want to see the future. I want to know that all this work will produce fruit. A lot of fruit. I want guarantees of success and I want confidence to continue. And really, things are just getting started with what God has in store for the years ahead. My motivations are revealed to be so shallow. And then, in my disappointment in myself, I reveal who I was counting on to get me through. Me. But there is light at the end of this tunnel, this abyss of self-imposed penance because Jesus said He would always be with me. And it's not a freight train. It's the One who can carry me. So I pray: "Jesus, You've given me Your Spirit to persevere. Raise me from the death of my limited vision for life and to a resurrected view of Your plan. I don't need to be afraid of where You're taking me because I know You are with me. You are the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end. I want to live in light Your story. Help me thrive with You in honor of You" (Romans 8:9-11; Matthew 28:20; Revelation 21:6).

" ... God I look to You and You're where my help comes from. ... "

I often need help, but I'm terrible at asking for it. I live under the false hope that I am self-sustaining and can do this life on my own. Even when He promises me that His strength is made perfect in my weakness, too often I live like I don't believe Him. I need a Helper and He's given me One His very own death-conquering Spirit. I need a family and He's given me one His very own body of brothers and sisters who are finishing the race of life with Him and are available to me. I have help all around me. But I need help to even recognize my need for help. So I pray, "God, You said you would help me. And You are the Almighty who can, has, and will bless me with blessings from heaven above and from blessings of the deep. I'm in distress and I'm calling to You. Hear me and help me! Be my Deliverer! I am poor and needy and desperately need You. For the glory of Jesus, atone for my sins of doubt and fear and selfishness and help me!" (Genesis 49:25; Psalm 18:6; Psalm 40:17; Psalm 79:9).

" ... And I will love You, Lord, my Strength. ... my Shield. ... my Rock. ... "

If God is truly my Strength, then I won't be so tired because He'll be working for me. If God is truly my Shield, then I won't be so fearful because He'll be protecting and preserving my relationships with my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. And if God is truly my Rock, then I won't find my security in success, but will see His faithfulness making me faithful each and every day. So in relying more on Him than myself, I can rejoice that He will say these words to me when He's finished writing my story, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master" (Matthew 25:23).

A friend of mine wrote these words on Facebook today:

Option 1: Try harder, work longer, do more.

Option 2: Trust harder, rest longer, love more.

God I look to You. Help my life to be conformed to and transformed by Option 2 which is everything promised for me and for others throughout my workplace, neighborhood, and city in the gospel of Jesus.


Next post: Redeemed to Redeem | Church Planter Anthems Part 3

 Sully

If your curiosity is piqued, or something inside you is being stirred, feel free to connect
For other updates, like and follow Emmaus City on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment