Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Emmaus City Liturgy | Sunday, August 24, 2014 – Prequel to 1 Peter Sermon Series: The Hope of Humble Holiness for the Sake of the World

Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 1 Peter Sermon Series 2014 Network of Missional Communities

Emmaus City Liturgy – 1 Peter Sermon Series: The Hope of Humble Holiness for the Sake of the World | Prequel to 1 Peter 


Prequel to 1 Peter Sermon Audio:


For previous sermon series notes and audio, click on the links below:


This post will feature themes, verses, hymns and songs (audio and lyrics), and prayers that complement the sermon text. Key notes from the sermons will also be included.

Curious to know more? Want to spend some time with us? Don't hesitate. Contact us and come join us. In the meantime, enjoy the readings and listening to the songs below.

WORSHIP THROUGH CELEBRATION, PRAYER, AND SONG

Sharing Moments of Gospel Celebration

  Prayer of Thanksgiving and The Lord’s Prayer
From Jesus in Matthew 6:9-13

Our Father in heaven, may Your name be kept holy.
May Your Kingdom come, may Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
 
Give us today the food we need, and 
Forgive us our sins as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from evil.
(For Yours is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever. Amen.) 


 

You call me out upon the waters,
The great unknown 
Where feet may fail. 
And there I find 
You in the mystery. 
In oceans deep,
My faith will stand.

And I will call upon Your name

And keep my eyes above the waves.
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine. 

Your grace abounds 
In deepest waters.
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail 
And fear surrounds me.
You've never failed 
And You won't start now.
(Repeat Chorus)

Spirit lead me where 
My trust is without borders.
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me.
Take me deeper than 
My feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior.
(Repeat 3x)

I will call upon Your Name.
Keep my eyes above the waves.
My soul will rest in Your embrace.
I am Yours and You are mine. 

WORSHIP THROUGH LISTENING AND PRAISING

The Hope of Humble Holiness for the Sake of the World
Prequel to 1 Peter  

 

 Sermon Notes 


Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord. You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. You have the words of eternal life.” – Peter (Luke 5:8; Matthew 16:16; John 6:68)


Sermon Illustration



"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan

Despite his "failures," Michael Jordan continued on, finding strength after the weak moments. With Peter, we will see Jesus build on the rock He chose even as Peter's failures led him to trust in Jesus even more.

1) Who is Peter? | One Who is Proud (i.e. Quick to React and Speak)

Scripture Reading 


  • When do you want your work most recognized by others?
  • When would you rather soak in the glory rather than be sent on a mission, which will involve sacrifice?
  • When do you get most defensive about your character and what you can or cannot do?

2) Who is Peter? | One Who is Humble (i.e. Quick to Repent and Follow Again) 
Scripture Reading

  • Mark 8:27-38; Matthew 16:15-28 | Peter confesses Jesus is the Christ, gets the cross wrong and is rebuked for following Satan, and then is seen following Jesus again
  • Matthew 18:15-35 | Peter readily seeks to learn about conflict and forgiveness for the sake of the Church 

  • How quick are you to reconcile with others after you have been challenged and rebuked for being wrong? 
  • Are you willing to ask how to learn to forgive and to practice true forgiveness and reconciliation?
  • How often do you speak up and ask someone else to help you understand?

3) Who is Peter? | One Who is Becoming More Like Jesus with and for Others

John 21:15-19 | Jesus restores Peter because He loves him and is teaching him how to love and lead His Church

"If holiness looks like the restoration of the image of God in us, then it shouldn't be surprising that holiness also looks like Christlikeness, for Jesus Christ is the image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15) and the exact imprint of his nature (Hebrews 1:3). The whole goal of our salvation is that we should be conformed to the image of God's Son (Romans 8:29). We see in Jesus the best, most practical, most human example of what it means to be holy. He is our model for love (John 13:34), our model for humility (Philippians 2:5-8), our model for facing temptation (Hebrews 4:15), our model for steadfastness in the midst of suffering (1 Peter 4:1-2), and our model for obedience to the Father (John 6:38; 14:31). We see all the virtues of holiness perfectly aligned in Christ. He was always gentle, but never soft. He was bold, but never brash. He was pure, but never prudish. He was full of mercy but not at the expense of justice. He was full of truth but not at the expense of grace. In everything he was submissive to his heavenly Father, and he gave everything for his sheep. He obeyed his parents, kept the law of God, and forgave his enemies. He never lusted, never coveted, and never lied. In all that Jesus Christ did, during his whole life and especially as his life came to an end, he loved God with his whole being and loved his neighbor as himself. " – Kevin DeYoung, The Hole in Our Holiness: Fill the Gap Between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godlinesspgs. 46-47
  • Where do you place your hope when you need to be restored?
  • Do you desire to become more like Jesus?
  • Are you willing to recognize your failing and turn to Him again and again knowing He loves you and will restore you?

I Surrender
By Hillsong United
2012 A.D.  

 

Here I am down on my knees again 
Surrendering all, surrendering all. 
Find me here,
Lord, as You draw me near 
I’m desperate for You,
Desperate for You. 
I surrender. 

Drench my soul
As mercy and grace unfold, 
I hunger and thirst (x2). 
With arms stretched wide, 
I know You hear my cry! 
Speak to me now (2x). 

I surrender, I surrender. 
I want to know You more,
I want to know You more.
(Repeat 2x) 

Like a rushing wind,
Jesus breathe within! 
Lord have Your way, 
Lord have Your way in me! 
Like a mighty storm,
Stir within my soul! 
Lord have Your way,
 Lord have Your way in me! 
(Repeat 3x) 

(Repeat chorus 2x) 

WORSHIP THROUGH COMMUNION

Psalm 62
By Aaron Keyes and Stuart Townend
2009 A.D.


 

My soul finds rest in God alone, 
My rock and my salvation. 
A fortress strong against my foes 
And I will not be shaken. 
Though lips may bless 
And hearts may curse
And lies like arrows pierce me. 
I'll fix my heart on righteousness, 
I'll look to Him who hears me. 

O praise Him, Hallelujah, 
My Delight and my Reward! 
Everlasting, never failing, 
My Redeemer, my God!

Find rest, my soul, in God alone 
Amid the world's temptations. 
When evil seeks to take a hold
I'll cling to my salvation.
Though riches come and riches go,
Don't set your heart upon them.
The fields of hope in which I sow
Are harvested in heaven. 
(Repeat Chorus)

I'll set my gaze on God alone
And trust in Him completely!
With every day pour out my soul
And He will prove His mercy!
Though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed
The curse of death
And I am His forever! 
(Repeat Chorus 2x) 

O praise Him, O praise Him, Hallelujah, Hallelujah (3x)!
(Repeat Chorus 2x)
  
2011 A.D.



What heart could hold
The weight of Your love
And know the heights
Of Your great worth?
What eyes could look on
Your glorious face
Shining like the sun? 
(Repeat) 

You are holy, holy, holy,
God most high and
God most worthy!
You are holy, holy, holy,
Jesus, You are! (x2) 

Your name alone has
Power to raise us!
Your light will shine
When all else fades!
Our eyes will look on
Your glorious face,
Shining like the sun.
Who is like You, God?
(Repeat Chorus 2x) 

Who shall we say You are?
You're the living God!
Who shall we say You are?
You're the Great I AM!
The highest name of all
You're all You say You are!
(Repeat Chorus 2x)

 And You shall come again in glory
To judge the living and the dead.
All eyes will look on
Your glorious face,
Shining like the sun.
Who is like You, God? 
(Repeat Chorus 2x) 

Benediction 

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power forever and ever. Amen.” – I Peter 5:6-7, 10-11

 Sully

Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect. For other updates, like and follow Emmaus City on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment