Saturday, January 16, 2021

MLK Weekend Mass @ Home | Matthew 15:21-28: Jesus Responds to Humble + Great Boundary-Breaking Faith

 


Jesus brought up race (w/ the Canaanite woman) not to slap her with it but to surface it, and to redeem it. If He didn't bring up the racial tensions then we'd think He wasn't addressing all the suffering the woman was enduring. Healing requires getting to the wounds, the memories, the roots of the pain. + Natalia Kohn Rivera, Hermanas


Story of God Liturgy Flow | Creation, Crisis, Covenant Community, Christ, Church, (New) Creation


(1) Creation


Call to Worship | Psalm 139:14, 16-17 + Our World Belongs to God (5)

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. ... Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
One: God holds this world with fierce love. Keeping His promise, He sends Jesus into the world, pours out the Holy Spirit, and announces the Good News: 
All: sinners who repent and believe in Jesus live anew as members of the family of God—the firstfruits of a new creation.
Austin Stone Worship, 2013 A.D.

God, I need You, I need You, I need You,
With every breath, every pulse of my heart. 
Christ have mercy, have mercy,
Let mercy abound, I need You, I need You now.

God, pour out Your grace, glorious grace
That I would be held by Your perfect embrace! 
I am undeserving, You are high and worthy,
All of my praise for this glorious grace!

God I’m longing, I’m longing to see You,
In Your presence all darkness will fade.
Shine Your glory, Your glory,
Let glory surround, I’m longing to see You now. 
(Chorus 2x)

God, Your grace like rising seas has swallowed death and sin in me!
God, Your grace like rising seas has swallow ed death and sin in me!
Glory to my God who saves, Jesus Christ, our glorious grace! 
Glory to my God who saves, Jesus Christ, our glorious grace!

God I worship, I worship, I worship You 
For Your glory, my all in all. 
You are worthy, You’re worthy, You’re worthy,
I worship, I worship You.
God, I need You, I need You now.

(2) Crisis


Prayer of Confession + Assurance | 
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner ...   
(We turn to Jesus) He will wipe away every tear from our eyes and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore for the former things have passed away. And He who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new ... these words are trustworthy and true.” + Revelation 21:4-5
(3) Covenant Community



Sermon Scriptures | Matthew 15:21-28


Sermon Quote | John Lewis

I met Rosa Parks when I was 17. I met Dr. King when I was 18. These two individuals inspired me to find a way to get in the way, to get in trouble. So I got in good trouble, necessary trouble.

(4) Christ



Christ has died. Christ is risen! Christ will come again!

Chris Tomlin, 2011 A.D. 

Lord, I come, I confess, 
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart. 
You're the One that guides m y heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You, every hour I need You; 
My one defense, my righteousness, O God, how I need You!

Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more. 
Where grace is found is where You are. 
And where You are, Lord, I am free, 
Holiness is Christ in me! (Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You. 
Jesus, You're my hope and stay! (Chorus)

(5) Church


Common Hymnal, 2017 A.D.

Blessed are the ones who do not bury
All the broken pieces of their heart. 
Blessed are the tears of all the weary 
Pouring like a sky of falling stars.
Blessed are the wounded ones in mourning, 
Brave enough to show the Lord their scars. 
Blessed are the hurts that are not hidden, 
Open to the healing touch of God.

The Kingdom is Yours, the Kingdom is yours! 
Hold on a little more, this is not the end! 
Hope is in the Lord, keep your eyes on Him!

Blessed are the ones who walk in kindness 
Even in the face of great abuse.
Blessed are the deeds that go unnoticed, 
Serving with unguarded gratitude.

Blessed are the ones who fight for justice, 
Longing for the coming day of peace.
Blessed is the soul that thirsts for righteousness, 
Welcoming the last, the lost, the least. (Chorus)

Blessed are the ones who suffer violence
And still have strength to love their enemies. 
Blessed is the faith of those who persevere. 
Though they fall, they'll never know defeat. (Chorus)

(6) New Creation


Benediction 

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you 
until He returns to make all things new.

Lectionary Readings
 

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Helpful links for beginning 2021:


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment