Monday, July 20, 2020

FB Live Weekend Message | If God Is for Us: Free to Wait & Hope w/ Eagerness, Patience, Confidence


"In labor all creation groans till fear and hatred cease, till human hearts come to believe: In Christ alone is peace. In labor all creation groans till prejudice shall cease, till every race and tribe and tongue in Christ will live in peace. Be our peace, be our peace, Christ, our peace. In labor all creation groans till rape and murder cease, till women walk by night unharmed and Christ is this world's peace. (Refrain) In labor all creation groans till false divisions cease, till enemies are reconciled in Christ who is our peace. (Refrain)" + Sister Delores Dufner, "In Labor All Creation Groans"


Sermon Blog Post | Groaning Good News: Making Peace with Creation and Each Other Through King Jesus, Our Creator and Reconciler

Sermon Scriptures | Romans 8:19-25

8:19 For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. 20 Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, 21 the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. 22 For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies He has promised us. 24 We were given this hope when we were saved. (If we already have something, we don’t need to hope for it. 25 But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.)
In accordance with state and national authorities, we are looking to return to the front lawn of the Fusion Center at 30 Tyler Prentice Road on Saturday, July 11. More details to come. In the meantime, we are still gathering every Saturday at 4:30 p.m. EST via Emmaus City Church Facebook Live. The liturgy with links to songs will be posted Saturday morning on our Facebook page beforehand. We would love for you to join with us! Also, you can contact us at info@emmauscitychurch.com.

Call to Worship from Job 14:14-15

Can the dead live again? If so, this would give me hope through all my years of struggle, and I would eagerly await the release of death. You would call and I would answer, and You would yearn for me, Your handiwork.

Helen Wright, 2017 A.D. 

Desert’s drying, mountains shake and tremble, 

Seas are warming, species fade away;
Still You’re sovereign, You’ re bringing restoration 
And all the earth, it cries to You!

All of creation groans longing for You to come.
We join with creation and sing, “Come, Jesus, come.”


Conflicts rising, nations crack at the seams, 
People dying, hunger and disease;
Still, You’re hovering, Your Spirit renewing 
And all the earth, it cries to You! (Chorus)
Sean Curran & Steffany Gretzinger, 2019 A.D.

Every breath, it is a gift, every moment is a treasure, 
All my past and my regrets, my present and my future. 
Every table is a feast, every heartbeat is an altar,
Every step a mystery, I'm walking with the Author.

So I fix my eyes upon You, I fix my eyes upon You. 
I fix my eyes upon You, I fix my eyes ...

All praise, all praise! Heaven bent to meet us, 
Father, Son, and Spirit!
All praise, all praise! God and man together, 
One with us forevermore.

In famine we will eat, in drought we'll see a downpour.
So let all our fighting cease, the Prince our Peace has conquered!
(Pre-Chorus + Chorus)

Why should my heart grow weary? Don't be so downcast, O my soul! 
You are in every moment, You are my greatest miracle! (Repeat 3x) 

Kristene DiMarco, Horatio G. Spafford, 1873 A.D.

Grander earth has quaked before moved by the sound of His voice,
And seas that are shaken and stirred
Can be calmed and broken for my regard.

And through it all, through it all, my eyes are on You. 
And through it all, through it all, it is well. 
And through it all, through it all, my eyes are on You,
And it is well with me. 

And far be it from me to not believe even when my eyes can't see;
And this mountain that's in front of me
Will be thrown into the midst of the sea.

So let go my soul and trust in Him,
The waves and wind still know His name. 

It is well, it is well with my soul!

The Story I'll Tell
Maverick City Music, 2020 A.D.

The hour is dark and it’s hard to see
What You are doing here in the ruins
And where this will lead ...
Oh but I know that down through the years
I'll look on this moment, see Your hand on it,
And know You were here ... 

And I’ll testify of the battles You’ve won,
How You were my portion when there wasn’t enough. 
I'll sing a song of the seas that we crossed,
The waters You parted, the waves that I walked ...


Oh, my God did not fail! Oh, it’s the story I’ll tell! 
Oh, I know it is well! Oh, it's the story I’ll tell!

Believing gets hard when options are few,
When I can't see how You're moving
I know that You're proving You're the God that comes through! 
Oh, but I know that over the years,
I’ll look back on this moment and see Your hand on it
And know You were here ... (Pre-Chorus + Chorus)

All that is left is highest praises,
So sing hallelujah to the Rock of Ages ... (Chorus)


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Song of Confession and Assurance + In Labor All Creation Groans 
Sister Delores Durfey, 2016 A.D.

In labor all creation groans till fear and hatred cease,
Till human hearts come to believe: In Christ alone is peace.
In labor all creation groans till prejudice shall cease, 
Till every race and tribe and tongue in Christ will live in peace.

Be our peace, be our peace, Christ, our peace. 

In labor all creation groans till rape and murder cease,
Till women walk by night unharmed and Christ is this world's peace. (Refrain)

In labor all creation groans till false divisions cease,
Till enemies are reconciled in Christ who is our peace. (Refrain)


Benediction based on Romans 15:13


May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. In Christ all things hold together. So groan, grieve, garden, and grow with Him and all creation together. God in His peace with our Prince of peace.




To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment