Monday, March 2, 2020

Desert Spaces Lenten Series | Psalm 107: The Deliverer Who Walks with Us in Desert Spaces





Even in the desert, we are not deserted. The Deliverer is near. + A.J. Swoboda, The Dusty Ones


Sermon Scriptures | Psalm 107

Call to Worship John 7:37-38 

37 Jesus said,“Let anyone who is thirsty come to Me and drink.
38 Whoever believes in Me, as Scripture has said, rivers of
living water will flow from within them.”


In Tenderness He Sought Me
W. Spencer Walton, 1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me 
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me 
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang, 
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me! 
Oh, the blood that bought me! 
Oh the grace that brought me 
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me 
To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning, 
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
“I’ve found thee; thou art Mine.”
I never heard a sweeter voice, 
It made my aching heart rejoice! (Chorus)

Upon His grace I’ll daily ponder 
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise! (Chorus)

Faithful to the End
Paul & Hannah McClure, 2016 A.D.

We’re heaven-spun creations, 
His pride and adoration, 
Treasures woven by His love. 
His careful hands, they hold us, 
Safe within His promise
Of calling and of destiny.

I will sing of all You’ve done,
I’ll remember how far You carried me. 
From beginning until the end,
You are faithful, faithful to the end.

The Father’s heart that’s for me, 
A never-ending story
Of love that’s always chasing me. 
His kindness overwhelming
And hope for me unending, 
He’s never given up on me. (Chorus)

There wasn’t a day that You
There wasn’t a day that You
All of my lifeYour love has been true, 
All of my life I will worship You! ... (Chorus)

Living Hope 
Phil Wickham, 2018 A.D.

How great the chasm that lay between us,
How high the mountain I could not climb.
In desperation, I turned to heaven
And spoke Your name into the night.
Then through the darkness, Your loving-kindness 
Tore through the shadows of my soul.
The work is finished, the end is written 
JesusChrist, my living hope.

Who could imagine so great a mercy?
What heart could fathom such boundless grace? 
The God of ages stepped down from glory
To wear my sin and bear my shame.
The cross has spoken, I am forgiven,
The King of kings calls me His own.
Beautiful Savior, I’m Yours forever,
Jesus Christ, my living hope.

Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free! 
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me! 
You have broken every chain,
There’s salvation inYour name,
Jesus Christ, my living hope! 


Then came the morning that sealed the promise, 
Your buried body began to breathe.
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me! 
(Repeat) ... 
Jesus, Yours is the victory! (Chorus)

Tremble 
Mosaic MSC, 2017 A.D.

Peace, bring it all to peace, 
The storm surrounding me, 
Let it break at Your name. 
Still, call the sea to still, 
The rage in me to still, 
Every wave at Your name.

Jesus, Jesus, You make the darkness tremble. 
Jesus, Jesus, You silence fear.
Jesus, Jesus, You make the darkness tremble. 
Jesus, Jesus. 

Breathe, call these bones to live,
call these lungs to sing
Once again, I will praise ... (Chorus 2x)

Your name is a light that the shadows can’t deny! 
Your name cannot be overcome!
Your name is alive forever lifted high!
Your name cannot be overcome! (Chorus)


Land of the Rising Sun 
Ike Ndolo, 2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning, 
The tomb is reaching out. 
Oh, but they can’t have me!
Oh, but they can’t have me!

The crows are circling,
The jackal waits in the dark. 
Oh, but they can’t have me! 
Oh, but they can’t have me!

I belong to the land of the rising sun 
Where the grave is no more,
The war has been won!
I belong to the land of the rising Son, 
I belong to You, I belong! 

The world is in my bones,
It makes me wrestle withYou.
Oh, but You have claimed me!
Oh, but You have claimed me!

No matter how far I’ve gone,
Even to the devil’s table.
Oh, my God,You’ve claimed me!
Oh, my God,You’ve claimed me! (Chorus)

Through my wandering, and my failing, 
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the re, and the darkness, 
Through the sadness, I belong!
I’m just a rebel who’s tired of fighting, 
So I’m laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising, 

The Son is rising! (Chorus)

Prayers of Confession and Assurance

Silent Congregational Prayers

One: 
And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ... 

All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me. I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are. Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself, the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to unite us, strengthen us, and empower us to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses together until You return and make all things new. Amen.


Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. 
Jesus, dying, You destroyed our death.
Rising, You restored our life.
Lord Jesus, come in glory! 

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1
1563 A.D.

Q. What is your only comfort and hope
in life and death?

A. That I am not my own, 1
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death, 2
to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ. 3
He has fully paid for all my sins
with His precious blood, 4
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil. 5
He also preserves me in such a way 6
that without the will of my heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head; 7
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation. 8
Therefore, by His Holy Spirit
He also assures me
of eternal life 9
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for Him. 10


1. 1 Cor 6:19, 20.
2. Rom 14:7-9.
3. 1 Cor 3:23; Tit 2:14.
4. 1 Pet 1:18, 19; 1 Jn 1:7; 2:2.
5. Jn 8:34-36; Heb 2:14, 15; 1 Jn 3:8.
6. Jn 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess 3:3; 1 Pet 1:5.
7. Mt 10:29-31; Lk 21:16-18.
8. Rom 8:28.
9. Rom 8:15, 16; 2 Cor 1:21, 22; 5:5; Eph 1:13, 14.
10. Rom 8:14.

Benediction: 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely,
and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.


Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of Micro City Groups.

A Micro City Group (CG) is a growing group that begins with 3+ people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. Micro CGs start small enough that people can know you and value you, but seek to grow large enough (10-30 people) to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current Micro City Groups: W.R.A.P. | Fellow Travelers | YMCA | Freedom City | Westside Welcome 

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment