Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Ever Ancient Ever New | Psalm 23: The Need Is Already Met




I have read many intelligent and good books in my life. But I did not find anything in them that would have made my heart so quiet and glad, like the four words from that 23rd Psalm: “You are with me.” + Immanuel Kant


Sermon Audio | The Need Is Already Met

Sermon Scriptures | Psalm 23

Sermon Quote

If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies. Yet distance makes no difference. He is praying for me (and you). + Robert Murray M'Cheyne


Call to Worship Psalm 27:4-5

4 I have asked one thing from the LORD;
it is what I desire: to dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life, gazing on the beauty of the LORD
and seeking Him in His temple.
5 For He will conceal me in His shelter
in the day of adversity;
He will hide me under the cover of His tent;
He will set me high on a rock.


The Everlasting God (Psalm 27)
William Murphy, 2016 A.D.

The Lord is my Light and salvation.
Whom shall I fear?
Of whom shall I be afraid? (x2)

I will wait on You, I will wait on You.
I will trust in You, I will trust in You.

I will remain confident in this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord. (x2)

We set our hope on You,
We set our hope on Your love,
We set our hope on the One
Who is the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting! (x3)

In Tenderness He Sought Me
W. Spencer Walton, 1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!


He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

House of God Forever
Jon Foreman, 2008 A.D.

God is my shepherd,
I won't be wanting,
I won't be wanting.
He makes me rest
In fields of green
With quiet streams.

Even though I walk
Through the valley
Of death and dying.
I will not fear,
‘Cause You are with me.
You are with me.

Your shepherd's staff
Comforts me.
You are my feast
In the presence of enemies.
Surely goodness will follow me,
Follow me
In the house of God forever.

No Longer Slaves
Bethel Music, 2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God. (x2)


From my mothers womb, You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins. (Chorus)


Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea so I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned in perfect love!
You rescued me so I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

Psalm 23 (I Am Not Alone)
People & Songs, 2018 A.D.

The Lord is my Shepherd.
He goes before me,
Defender behind me, I won't fear.
I'm filled with anointing,
My cup's overflowing.
No weapon can harm me, I won't fear.

Hallelujah, I am not alone!
He's my comfort, always holds me close!


He always guides me
Through mountains and valleys.
His joy is refreshing, restores my soul.
Mercy and goodness
Give me assurance
That I'll see His glory face to face! (Chorus)

Your Spirit lives within me
So I will walk in Your peace!
Your Spirit lives within me,
My victory, my victory! (Repeat 3x)


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

One: King Jesus, today, we turn away again from our self-focused
solitary lives without You and join in sharing our
story in Yours until You return to make all things new ...

Congregational Prayers: "Lord, hear our prayer."

One: And now we pray together, Jesus, as You taught us to pray ...

All: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me. I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are. Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself, the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to unite us, strengthen us, and empower us to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses together until You return and make all things new. Amen.


Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. 
Jesus, dying, You destroyed our death.
Rising, You restored our life.
Lord Jesus, come in glory! 

Our World Belongs to God Q&A 30 | 2008 A.D.


Q. How do we live by faith that the LORD is our Shepherd,
that we are not alone and have all that we need by the power of the Holy Spirit?

A. Anointed and sent by the Holy Spirit,
we the Church are sent into the world,
ambassadors of God’s peace,
announcing forgiveness and reconciliation,
proclaiming the Good News of grace.
Going before us and with us,
the Spirit convinces the world of sin
and pleads the cause of Christ.
Filled with the Spirit, we go
next door and far away into science and art,
media and marketplace—every area of life,
pointing to the reign of God with what we do and say.


Benediction Based on The Benedictus (Luke 1:67-79)

Go in the filling of the Spirit of the Lord and prepare the way for people to encounter Jesus in Worcester and beyond with the knowledge of His salvation and the forgiveness of sins. Because of our God’s merciful compassion, the Son breaks the grip of despair and will visit our city to shine His Light on those who live in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of His peace. You are sent out in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Next sermon audio + liturgy notes post: Psalm 4: The Midnight Prayer

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of Micro City Groups.

A Micro City Group (CG) is a growing group that begins with 3+ people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. Micro CGs start small enough that people can know you and value you, but seek to grow large enough (10-30 people) to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current Micro City Groups: W.R.A.P. | Fellow Travelers | YMCA | Freedom City | Westside Welcome 

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment