Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Ecclesiastes Series | Who Is Like the Wise? (Eccles. 7:1-8:1) + Lenten Saturday, March 16





Who is like the wise? And who knows the interpretation of a thing? A man's wisdom makes his face shine, and the hardness of his face is changed (Eccles. 8:1). + Will our faces be changed and shine today in seeking God’s wisdom more than our own?


Sermon Audio | Ecclesiastes: Who Is Like the Wise?
Sermon Scriptures | Ecclesiastes 7:1-8:1
Sermon Stories | St. Patrick, Sts. Perpetua & Felicity
Sermon Subheads | 

1 | Who Is Like the Wise (7:1-6)? Those Who Search for the Sorrowful and Stay for the Substance Under The Surface

| 2 | Who Is Like the Wise (7:7-12)? Those Who Wait, Watch, and Wonder (Patient Perseverance)

| 3 | Who Is Like the Wise (7:13-22)? Those Who Don’t Bend God to Them, but Bend Their Lives to God (Do we ask God to change our life more or change us more?)

| 4 | Who Is Like the Wise (7:23-8:1)? Those Who Look for the Only Wise One Who Makes Us Shine 

Sermon Quote | 

"The fear of God is wonder-filled bold humility. Human beings are hope-shaped creatures. You live now controlled by what you believe about the future" (Tim Keller). Where we place our focus greatly impacts how we live our lives, as well as what we fear.  We can face the fear of self righteousness or self condemnation comforted by God's fierce, fearful, and wonderful wisdom and love.

Sermon Series Album | Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope

Humble Thyself | Amazing Grace Gospel Medley
Bob Hudson, John Newton, 1978 A.D., 1779 A.D.

Humble thyself in the sight of the LORD
And He will lift you up.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.

I once was lost but now I'm found.
I was blind but now I see.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun.

We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we've first begun.


Lord, I Need You
Chris Tomlin, 2011 A.D.

Lord, I come, I confess,
Bowing here I find my rest.
Without You I fall apart.
You're the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You,
Every hour I need You;
My one defense, my righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!


Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is where You are.
And where You are, Lord, I am free,
Holiness is Christ in me! (Chorus)

Teach my song to rise to You.
When temptation comes my way,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay. (Chorus


All Creatures of Our God and King
St. Francis of Assisi adapted by West Coast Revival
Early 1200s A.D.

All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing
“O praise Him! Allelujah!”
Thou, burning sun with golden beam,
Thou, silver moon with softer gleam.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

Let all things their Creator bless
And worship Him in humbleness.
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, Three-in-One.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

All the redeemed washed by His blood
Come and rejoice in His great love.
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Christ has defeated every sin.
Cast all your burdens now on Him.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

He shall return in power to reign
Heaven and earth will join to say
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Then who shall fall on bended knee?
All creatures of our God and King
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder
John Newton, 1774 A.D.

Let us love and sing and wonder,
Let us praise the Savior's name.
He has hushed the laws loud thunder,
He has quenched Mt. Sinai's flame.
Let us love the Lord Who bought us,
Pitied us when enemies;
Called us by His grace and taught us,
Gave us ears and gave us eyes.

He has washed us with His blood ... (3x)
He has brought us close to God.


Let us sing, though fierce temptation
Threatens hard to bear us down!
For the Lord, our strong salvation,
Holds in view the Conqu’ror’s crown.
Let us wonder grace and justice
Join and point to mercy's store.
When through grace in Christ our trust is,
Justice smiles and asks no more.

He has washed us with His blood ... (3x)
He will bring us home to God.


Let us praise and join the chorus
Of the saints enthroned on high.
Here they trusted Him before us,
Now their praises fill the sky.

"You have washed us with Your blood ... (3x)
You are worthy, Lamb of God!"


Be Thou My Vision
St. Dallán Forgaill, 6th Century

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart.
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord.
Thou my great Father and I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not nor man’s empty praise.
Thou mine inheritance now and always!
Thou and Thou only first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art!

High King of Heaven, my victory won!
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all!

Apostles' Creed | 390 A.D.

I believe in God the Father almighty,

Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary.

suffered under Pontius Pilate, 

was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended to hell.

The third day He rose again!

He ascended to heaven

and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father almighty;
from there He shall come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic* Church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins, 

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

*Catholic stands for Jesus' Church
"according to the whole,"
across time, cultures, and nations,
that He established and continues to build
by His grace, truth, and resurrection power.


Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Silent Congregational Prayers

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction based on Psalm 130:5-7; Ecclesiastes 3:11a; Isaiah 33:17

Wait for the LORD and in His Word put your hope. God has made everything beautiful in its time. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar. Go with the grace and peace of Jesus, the King of kings.

Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Ecclesiastes Series | Is the Word + Table of the King Supreme? (Eccles. 8:2-17) 

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment