Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Matthew 4:12-22 | In the Shadow of Death, the Light has Dawned + January 20, 2018


"Baptized When the Levees Broke" by Brandan "Bmike" Odums




Welcome! Bienvenido! Akwaaba! Mirë se vjen! خوش آمدید Bem-vindos! 歡迎光臨! Céad míle fáilte! 


We invite you to hear and respond to the history-altering, world-restoring, life-transforming Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to save us. We invite you to wonder about Him and receive Him as your salvation. Join with us as we learn how to humbly follow Him in every area of life as His family of servants and ambassadors who graciously love our neighbors and generously serve our city in the joy and justice of God for the life of the world.

Old Testament Scripture Reading Isaiah 43:1-3


“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. I will be with you when you pass through the waters, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. You will not be scorched when you walk through the fire, and the flame will not burn you. For I am the Lord your God."

New Testament Sermon Text Matthew 4:12-22

Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8; Daniel 9:4-19; Nehemiah 1:5-10; Luke 23:34

One: Jesus, You are the Light that shines in the darkness. Shine on us today. Reveal Yourself to us and reveal in us our need of You.

All: Jesus, heal us. Jesus, make us holy. In this prayerful moment in Your presence and power, grant us faith and confidence that here today, broken lives are being made whole by You and Your Good News.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession


One: Jesus, thank You that Your love is relentless. Thank You for listening to us and speaking to us through Your Word and by Your Spirit. Please continue to call us to come to You when we are weary from our selfishness, our proud ambitions, our hidden brokenness, and our secret sin. Call us and in coming to You, make us like You, fishers of women and men who seek out others to experience and receive Your abundant life and love.

All: Thank You Jesus that You are Emmanuel, God with us, and that in You, we are seen, forgiven, saved, and loved!


In Tenderness He Sought Me
By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!


Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!

Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!


He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

Relentless
By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

Salvation sounds a new beginning
As distant hearts begin believing.
Redemption's bid is unrelenting,
Your love goes on, Your love goes on!

You carry us, carry us
When the world gives way!
You cover us, cover us
With Your endless grace!
Your love is relentless (x4)!

The time is up for chasing shadows,
You gave the world the Light to follow,
A hope that shines beyond tomorrow,
Your love goes on, Your love goes on!
(Chorus)

Tearing through the veil of darkness,
Breaking every chain, You set us free!
Fighting for the furthest heart You gave
Your life for all to see!

You carry us, carry us
(Your love is relentless)!
You cover us, cover us
(Your love is relentless)!

The Anthem
By Planetshakers
2013 A.D.

Hallelujah,
You have won the victory!
Hallelujah,
You have won it all for me!

Death could not hold You down!
You are the risen King
Seated in majesty,
You are the risen King!


By His stripes we are healed,
By His nail-pierced hands we're free.
By His blood, we're washed clean,
Now we have the victory.

The power of sin is broken,
Jesus overcame it all.
He has won our freedom,
Jesus has won it all.


Great Are You LORD
By All Sons and Daughters
2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are You, LORD.

It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
Great are You, LORD!”

By Ike Ndolo
2012 A.D.

The dark is groaning,
The tomb is reaching out.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!

The crows are circling,
The jackal waits in the dark.
Oh, but they can't have me!
Oh, but they can't have me!

I belong to the
Land of the rising Son
Where the grave is no more,
The war has been won!
I belong to the
Land of the rising Son,
I belong to You, I belong!


The world is in my bones,
It makes me wrestle with You.
Oh, but You have claimed me!
Oh, but You have claimed me!

No matter how far I've gone,
Even to the devil's table.
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
Oh, my God, You've claimed me!
(Chorus)

Through my wandering,
And my failing,
And my doubting, I belong!
Through the fire,
And the darkness,
Through the sadness, I belong!
I'm just a rebel,
Who's tired of fighting,
So I'm laying down these arms.
The sun is rising, the sun is rising,
The sun is rising!
(Chorus)

No Longer Slaves
By Bethel Music
2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.
I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.

From my mothers womb,
You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins.
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned
In perfect love!
You rescued me
so I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

Heidelberg Catechism
Q&A 1, 1563 A.D.

Q. 
What is your only comfort in life and death?

A. That I am not my own, 1 
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death, 2
to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. 3
He has fully paid for all my sins
with His precious blood, 4
and has set me free
from all the power of the devil. 5
He also preserves me in such a way 6
that without the will of my heavenly Father
not a hair can fall from my head; 7
indeed, all things must work together
for my salvation. 8
Therefore, by His Holy Spirit
He also assures me
of eternal life 9
and makes me heartily willing and ready
from now on to live for Him. 10

1. 1 Cor 6:19, 20.
2. Rom 14:7-9.
3. 1 Cor 3:23; Tit 2:14.
4. 1 Pet 1:18, 19; 1 Jn 1:7; 2:2.
5. Jn 8:34-36; Heb 2:14, 15; 1 Jn 3:8.
6. Jn 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess 3:3; 1 Pet 1:5.
7. Mt 10:29-31; Lk 21:16-18.
8. Rom 8:28.
9. Rom 8:15, 16; 2 Cor 1:21, 22; 5:5; Eph 1:13, 14.
10. Rom 8:14.

Benediction

Now may the God of peace, who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus—the great Shepherd of the sheep—through the blood of the everlasting covenant, equip you with everything good to do His will, working in us what is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. + Hebrews 13:20-21

Next post: Matthew 4:12-17, 23-25 | Jesus Brings Near to Us the Promise and Power of the Good News of the Kingdom of Heaven

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike “Sully” Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment