Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Haggai Preview: God Has a Name and He is Who He Will Always Be for Us + July 1, 2017

 

God proclaimed His name, "Yahweh! Yahweh! The compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.'


Moses asks God a question: mah shemo? What is the meaning of your name? It's not until Moses is on top of Mount Sinai that we get the full, complete answer to his question about the meaning and significance of God's name. There, in the terrifying cloud that was God's glory, we read that "God proclaimed his name ...


Yahweh! Yahweh! The compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, showing mercy to thousands and forgiving wickedness, rebellion, and sin.

This moment of revelation on Mount Sinai where we learn God's name – it's the moment in the Hebrew Bible. Exodus 34v6-7 is quite possibly the most quoted passage in the Bible, by the Bible. The rest is story after story of this God in action.

In his biography of Jesus, the New Testament writer John makes a profound statement: "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." It's hard to see it in the English translation, but this language is straight out of Exodus 34. For example, the phrase "made his dwelling among us" is literally "pitched his tabernacle among us." That's a reference to the tabernacle that Israel put up at the base of Mount Sinai. "Glory"? That's a reference to the cloud at the top of Mount Sinai. And "grace and truth" is actually a reading of the Hebrew phrase translated as "love and faithfulness."

John is ripping all this language out of Exodus – "tabernacle" and "glory" and "love and faithfulness" – as a way of retelling the Sinai story around Jesus. He's making the point that in Jesus, we see the Creator God's glory – his presence and beauty – like never before. In Jesus, Yahweh becomes a human being. When the early Christians would say "Jesus is Lord" or kyrios, this was the Greek word that was used to translate the Hebrew word Yahweh. So in saying that Jesus is Lord, the first Christians – most of whom were Jewish – were saying that Jesus was Yahweh in flesh and blood.

Jesus is the long-awaited human coming of Yahweh, the God on top of Sinai.

+ John Mark Comer, God Has a Name 


Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those
Who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil.
(For Thine is the Kingdom,
The power and the glory now and forever and ever. Amen.)
+ Matthew 6:9-13

This Is the Day
By Bob Fitts
2014 A.D.

This is the day
That the Lord has made!
I will rejoice and celebrate!
This is the day
That the Lord has made!
I will rejoice,
I will rejoice and celebrate!

He goes before me,
He walks beside me,
He lives within me,
He's the lover of my soul!
He's my Defender,
He's my Provider,
His overflowing mercies
Are brand new every day!

10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)
By Matt Redman
2012 A.D.

Bless the Lord, oh my soul,
Oh my soul,
Worship His holy name!
Sing like never before,
Oh my soul,
I'll worship Your holy name.

The sun comes up,
It's a new day dawning.
It's time to sing Your song again.
Whatever may pass,
And whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing
When the evening comes!
(Chorus)

You're rich in love
And You're slow to anger.
Your name is great
And Your heart is kind.
For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons
For my heart to find!
(Chorus)

And on that day
When my strength is failing,
The end draws near
And my time has come,
Still my soul will
Sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years
And then forevermore!
(Chorus)

Great Are You Lord
By All Sons and Daughters
2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are You, Lord.

It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
“Great are You, Lord!”

You Never Change
By Austin Stone Worship
2014 A.D.

Oh may I run to no other refuge,
No other rest for my soul.
Oh may I drink from
No other fountain
Where living waters will flow.
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!

You are my life, may You be lifted high!
There is no other like Jesus Christ!
You are my story! You’re my everything!
You are my glory, my God, and my King!
You are my Rock, and You never change!

No other power can break the darkness,
No other hand that can save.
Forever faithful, Your love is stronger,
I trust in no other name!
Jesus, You’re all I need.
Jesus, You’re all I need!
(Chorus)

My strength to stand, 
All of my days are in Your hand.
My light to see,
Your glory goes before me.
My King, You reign!
My Rock, and You never change!
No, You never change!
(Chorus)

No Longer Slaves
By Bethel Music
2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

Now I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.
No, I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.

From my mothers womb,
You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins.
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned
In perfect love!
You rescued me
So I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

In Tenderness He Sought Me
By W. Spencer Walton
1894 A.D.

In tenderness He sought me
Weary and sick with sin.
And on His shoulders brought me
Back to His fold again.
While angels in His presence sang,
Until the courts of heaven rang!

Oh, the love that sought me!
Oh, the blood that bought me!
Oh the grace that brought me
To the fold of God!
Grace that brought me
To the fold of God!

He died for me while I was sinning,
Needy and poor and blind.
He whispered to assure me,
"I've found thee; thou art Mine."
I never heard a sweeter voice,
It made my aching heart rejoice!
(Chorus)

Upon His grace I'll daily ponder
And sing anew His praise
With all adoring wonder,
His blessings I retrace.
It seems as if eternal days,
Are far too short to sing His praise!
(Chorus)

New City Catechism Q&A 1

Q. What is our only hope in life and in death?

A. That we are not our own,1
but belong, body and soul,
both in life and death2
to God and to our faithful
Savior Jesus Christ.3


1 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it. + 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

Next Liturgy and Sermon: Haggai 1:1: God Is Here and He Is Speaking. Will You Listen? 

+ Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment