Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Thriving Frequency Conference | Thee Apprentice "Amazing Grace" Poem

Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 3DM Multiethnic Urban Network of Missional Communities

 

2014 Thriving Frequency Conference with Eric Mason, D.A. Horton, Jerome Gay and more at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA from October 17-18


Last year, some folks from Emmaus City had the privilege to spend a weekend in Philadelphia at the 2013 Thriving Summit, hosted by Epiphany Fellowship. This year was just as powerful and they added in some breakout sessions as well. And Thee Apprentice, a spoken word poet, was the MC, and Doxa, Epiphany's worship in song band, led the music. The 2014 conference as a whole proclaimed Jesus as King in cities every which way. Here are links to previous posts:

 
Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 3DM Multiethnic Urban Network of Missional Communities
As mentioned above, Thee Apprentice, a spoken word poet, was the MC of Thriving Frequency 2014. After a passionate welcome, John Barlatier, aka Thee Apprentice, shared one of his poems, "Who am I?" Later in the conference, he also shared another piece of poetry entitled, "Amazing Grace" after singing it. In his humility, he readily admitted that he doesn't have a great singing voice. But that made the introduction all the more powerful as he readily declared that it is God's amazing grace whereby he receives his approval. 


(starts at 1:51 after he sings)
 

They threw me into the fire,
Turned it up seven times higher. 
Funny thing is 
The ones that threw me in got consumed
And I didn’t even perspire.
I’m listening for God’s voice
Like the cops listening in on The Wire,
For the prize to the high calling
Is to what I aspire.
Look,
I admire diamonds
Because they’re made under pressure.
What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger
Or is just a refresher.
Maybe I need a refilling
Deliverance or a good healing,
Be led by the Spirit
And stop appealing to my feelings;
Be aware of what I attract
And what I find attractive.
I got to try this or reject that
Before I attach it.
Roses are beautiful,
But they still have thorns like a cactus.
If sin was a profession,
Some church folks would be sued for malpractice.
Look,
God didn’t save you from it
So you can do it more.
He didn’t deliver you from the pimp
So you could become a church whore.
Some people never experience afterwards
Because they always revert to before.
But before I go back to what I was
I give God a little bit more.
Amazing grace!
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost
But now I’m found.
Was blind,
But now I see.
Now I’m restored,
In one accord,
Sharpening my sword,
I’ve learned some stones
Will cease in my life
When I throw Jonah overboard.
I’m saved by grace,
And not by face,
I learned to drop the weights
As I run this race.
God is my foundation,
My base,
My support,
My brace.
I’m clay in the Potter’s hand
And He’s making a vase,
He’s filling my cup
Until it runs over.
I’ve matured from milk to meat
And I’m no longer in need for a stroller;
I’ve realized I’ve matured
Only because I’ve endured.
Salvation isn’t a sprint,
It’s a marathon,
And your life is on tour.
There is now no condemnation,
So just embrace your salvation.
Amazing grace is always with you
Even in the midst of your temptation.
Where sin is, grace is,
That like a vaccination
protects you from yourself
And your lustful imagination.
Look,
We’re all drawn away
By our own lusts and enticements.
The enemy only presented a pizza
Because he knew you wanted a slice.
He’s “precising” his maneuvers,
He knows the flesh is our vice,
But I’m like Paul praying,
Not once, not twice, but thrice.
God answered and said that
His grace is sufficient
And the reason it’s so amazing is because
He’s omniscient.
He’s omnipresent,
He’s immutable,
He knows we’re deficient.
That’s why He filled us with His Spirit
Because He will make up the difference.
His strength is perfect in our weakness.
Our calling is in our uniqueness.
Victory is manifest when our enemy
Thinks he defeats us.
He thought the battle was won
When he hung the King Jesus,
The Rabbi,
Whose life and death was the lesson.
But He was the Teacher.
Thee Apprentice?
I’m learning life’s lessons
And my Lord is the Teacher.
My poems are the lessons I’ve learned
And I’m using to reach you.
Look,
I don’t mean to preach at you,
But this amazing grace,
It will keep you.
It will keep you like David
After he messed up with Bathsheba.
Look, 
Samson messed up with Delilah
And ended up bored, blind, and bound.
But even in the prison his hair began to grow
Because grace always abounds.
Look,
Jonah, in his disobedience,
God let him drown.
He orchestrated that he would be
Swallowed up by a whale
And spit out on dry ground.
See,
Grace only gives us the opportunity to
Repent.
But don’t think that because it’s so amazing
That there’s no consequence.
We’ve still got to deal with the results of our actions.
Look,
Jonah was swallowed up
Because of his reaction.
Samson was bored, blind, and bound,
Because of where he found satisfaction.
David, he lost his firstborn
Because he had a fatal attraction.
Shall we continue with sin
So that grace may abound?
God forbid.
It’s through grace that we receive salvation
And are given the opportunity to really live.
Look,
I live for Him
Because He died for me.
I ain’t got it all together
But His grace,
It covers me.
It’s sufficient
Where I’m deficient.
It secures my insecurities.
I need it just as much at the mountaintop
As I did in my obscurity.
I need it just as much at the mountaintop
As I did in the valley low.
I need it especially
To bestow this poem
From any plateau.
I need it to flow.
I need it to crow.
Amazing grace!
I need it like Peter after the cock crowed!
I need it like Saul on the Damascus road!
It’s amazing!
God blinded him for three days,
And allowed the revelations to overflow.
Whoa.
His grace is so amazing,
I can’t believe it’s not butter.
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good
Is what I utter.
See,
I don’t care if you have a speech impediment like Moses
And you stutter.
But God, He will use you
With your Caribbean accent
To spread His message
To your father and your mother.
He’ll extend it to everyone
Regardless of what you have done.
Just receive the free gift of salvation
Offered through His Son.
Sin is a burden on your shoulders
And you’re carrying a ton.
Those things that overcame you,
God,
He’ll allow you to overcome.
He’ll make you the head and not the tail,
He’ll put you above and not beneath.
Anything outside of God’s will
Will have you twisted, sweating like Keith.
Don’t be curious,
His grace isn’t mysterious.
I know you want a lot of things,
But this is one thing you need.
I’m serious.
Opportunities all around,
And you don’t have time to waste.
So before the bell rings,
Make sure you embrace
His amazing grace.
God bless.
 

 Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment