Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Freedom in the Spirit Series | Free to Be Adopted by the Father through the Spirit w/ Jon Watts + Saturday, June 29




What does it mean to be a child of God?


Sermon Audio | Free to Be Adopted by the Father through the Spirit w/ Jon Watts

Sermon Scriptures | Romans 8:1-28

Pass the Peace | In the Story of God, Jesus declared, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you" (John 14:26) during humanity's darkest, most tragic weekend of His death. And then after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, defeating evil and death, He said, "Peace be with you ... Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:21-22). Somehow, with Jesus, peace is possible even in our darkest moments. During this time, we desire to share with each other peace that passes understanding, empowered by the Spirit of Christ.

The peace of the Lord by always with you.
And also with you.

Call to Worship | John 16:12-15

12 Jesus said, “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all the Truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify Me because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from Me what He will make known to you.”


Holy Spirit
Jesus Culture, 2014 A.D.

There's nothing worth more that could ever come close,
No thing can compare, You're our living hope,
Your presence, Lord!

I've tasted and seen of the sweetest of loves,
When my heart becomes free and my shame is undone,
Your presence, Lord!

Holy Spirit, You are welcome here,
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere.
Your glory God is what our hearts long for,
To be overcome by Your presence, Lord.


Let us become more aware of Your presence!
Let us experience the glory of Your goodness!

Not in a Hurry
United Pursuit Music, 2017 A.D.

Lord, I don’t want to rush on ahead
In my own strength
When You’re right here. (Repeat)

I’m not in a hurry when it comes to Your Spirit,
When it comes to Your presence,
When it comes to Your voice.
I’m learning to listen, just to rest in Your nearness,
I’m starting to notice You are speaking.


Lord, I want to love like You,
I want to feel what You feel,
I want to see what You see.
(Repeat + Chorus 2x)

Open my eyes, I want to see You.
Open my ears, I want to hear You speak.
Tell me Your thoughts, what's on Your mind.
I’ll be Your friend, I want to see through Your eyes,
I want to see through Your eyes. (Chorus 2x)

Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery
M. Papa, M. Boswell, & M. Bleecker, 2013 A.D.

Come behold the wondrous mystery
In the dawning of the King.
He the theme of heaven’s praises,
Robed in frail humanity.
In our longing, in our darkness,
Now the light of life has come!
Look to Christ, who condescended,
Took on flesh to ransom us.

Come behold the wondrous mystery
He the perfect Son of Man.
In His living, in His suffering,
Never trace nor stain of sin.
See the true and better Adam
Come to save the hell-bound man!
Christ the great and sure fulfillment

Of the law; in Him we stand.

Come behold the wondrous mystery
Christ the Lord upon the tree,
In the stead of ruined sinners
Hangs the Lamb in victory.
See the price of our redemption!
See the Father’s plan unfold!
Bringing many sons to glory,
Grace unmeasured, love untold!

Come behold the wondrous mystery
Slain by death the God of life.
But no grave could e’er restrain Him.
Praise the Lord; He is alive!
What a foretaste of deliverance!
How unwavering our hope!
Christ in power resurrected

As we will be when He comes!

Spirit Break Out
Kim Walker Smith, 2015 A.D.

Our Father, all of Heaven roars Your name
Sing louder, let this place erupt with praise
Can you hear it?
The sound of Heaven touching earth,
The sound of Heaven touching earth!

Spirit break out, break our walls down!
Spirit break out, Heaven come down!


King Jesus, You're the name we're lifting high,
Your glory, shaking up the earth and sky.
Revival, we want to see Your Kingdom here;
We want to see Your Kingdom here!

Nothing I Hold Onto (Climb This Mountain)
United Pursuit Band, 2010 A.D.

I lean not on
My own understanding,
My life is in the hands
Of the Maker of Heaven.

I give it all to You, God,
Trusting that You'll make
Something beautiful out of me!

I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open,
I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open!

There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to!


Prayers of Confession and Assurance

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction Based on Psalm 103:13, 17-18
"As a father cares for his children, so does the LORD care for those who fear Him. The merciful goodness of the Lord endures for ever on those who fear Him, and His righteousness on children’s children; on those who keep His covenant and remember His commandments and do them.” So go now with the confidence and joy of sons and daughters of God, to be instruments of His care in the world He has made.


Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Free to Flourish in the Fruit of the Spirit

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment