Thursday, February 28, 2019

I Have All That I Need (Psalm 23)? + Sunday, February 24 w/ Avery Street CRC


When you are in the middle of a story … it's confusion. It's darkness. It's a lingering ache in the gut … "Each step is like a candle burning in the night. It does not take the darkness away, but it guides us through the darkness … through many small steps of love, we discover that we have made a long and beautiful journey" (Fr. Henri Nouwen). + Lisa Fenn, Carry On


Sermon Audio | I Have All That I Need
Sermon Scriptures | Psalm 23
Sermon Points | 

I Have What I Need … When Life is Full of Delight + Ps. 23:1-3: 1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have what I need. 2 He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3 He renews my life; He leads me along the right paths for His name’s sake. 

I Have What I Need … When Life is Full of Disturbance + Ps. 23:4-5 4 Even when I go through the darkest valley (i.e. valley of the shadow of death, fear no evil), I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

I Have What I Need … When Life is Full of Deliverance + Ps. 23:6 6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord as long as I live.

O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing

Charles Wesley, 1738 A.D.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer's praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumph of His grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad,
The honors of Thy name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
'Tis music in the sinner's ears;
'Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin;
He sets the prisoner free.
His blood can make the foulest clean;
His blood avails for me.

Sing your praise to the Lord all the earth.
Sing your praise to the Lord all the earth.
Sing your praise to the Lord all the earth.
Sing your praise to the Lord all the earth.


Death Was Arrested
NP InsideOut, 2017 A.D.

Alone in my sorrow and dead in my sin,
Lost without hope with no place to begin.
Your love made a way to let mercy come in
When death was arrested and my life began.

Ash was redeemed, only beauty remains.
My orphan heart was given a name.
My mourning grew quiet, my feet rose to dance
When death was arrested and my life began!

Oh, Your grace so free washes over me,
You have made me new, now life begins with You!
It's your endless love pouring down on us
You have made us new, now life begins with You!


Released from my chains, I'm a prisoner no more.
My shame was a ransom He faithfully bore.
He cancelled my debt and He called me His friend
When death was arrested and my life began! (Chorus)

Our Savior displayed on a criminal's cross.
Darkness rejoiced as though heaven had lost.
But then Jesus arose with our freedom in hand;
That's when death was arrested and my life began! (Chorus)

Oh, we're free, free, forever we're free!
Come join the song of all the redeemed!
Yes, we're free, free, forever, amen,
When death was arrested and my life began!
(Repeat Bridge)

Before the Throne of God Above
Charitie Lees Bancroft, 1860 A.D.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands!
My name is written on His heart!
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free!
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased by His blood!
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God!
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Jesus Paid It All
Elvina Hall, 1865 A.D.

I hear the Savior say,
"Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray
Find in Me thine all in all."

Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.


Lord, now indeed I find
Thy power and Thine alone
Can change the leper's spots
And melt the heart of stone.
(Chorus)

And when before the throne,
I stand in Him complete.
"Jesus died, my soul to save!"
My lips shall still repeat.
(Chorus)

O praise the One who paid my debt
And raised this life up from the dead!

Psalm 23 (I Am Not Alone)
People & Songs, 2018 A.D.


The Lord is my Shepherd.
He goes before me,
Defender behind me,
I won't fear.
I'm filled with anointing,
My cup's overflowing.
No weapon can harm me,
I won't fear.

Hallelujah, I am not alone!
He's my comfort, always holds me close!


He always guides me
Through mountains and valleys.
His joy is refreshing,
Restores my soul.
Mercy and goodness,
Give me assurance
That I'll see His glory
Face to face. (Chorus)

Your Spirit lives within me
So I will walk in Your peace!
Your Spirit lives within me,
My victory, my victory! (Repeat 3x)

My victory, my victory ...
(Chorus)


The Heidelberg Catechism 1&2
1563 A.D.

Call: What is your only comfort in life and in death?
Response: That I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to Him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for Him.

Call: What must you know to live and die in the joy of this comfort?
Response: Three things: first, how great my sin and misery are; second, how I am set free from all my sins and misery; third, how I am to thank God for such deliverance.

Benediction 

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Love of God the Father, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment