Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Ecclesiastes Series | What Time Is It or What Is Time For? (Eccles. 3) + Saturday, February 16




Chronos betrays us, always. It devours the beauty it creates, but sometimes chronos betrays itself: it stirs in us a longing for Something or Someone Else – something that the beauty of things in time evokes but cannot satisfy. Either we end up as the man in Ecclesiastes did: driven, driven, driven, racing hard against chronos, desperate to seize beauty but always grasping smoke, ashes, thorns. Seeking purpose and finding none, only emptiness. Or we learn to follow the scent of eternity in our hearts. + Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God


Welcome! Bienvenido! Akwaaba! Mirë se vjen! خوش آمدید Bem-vindos! 歡迎光臨! Céad míle fáilte! You are known and you are loved by Jesus. We invite you to join with us as we remember together the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to redeem and restore what we have broken; forgive us and heal us; and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and whole-making peace to our world.

Sermon Audio | Ecclesiastes: What Time Is It or What Is Time For?
Sermon Scriptures | Ecclesiastes 3
Sermon Church History Story | St. Valentine
Sermon Sports Scene | Cliff Levingston, Chicago Bulls "What Time Is It?!"
Sermon Reflection | Chronos or Kairos Time in 2019?

Purpose, even unsought, can take shape out of the smallest, simplest things: "I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil – this is the gift of God" (Eccl. 3:12-13). This is a gift of God: to experience the sacred amidst the commonplace.

Sermon Series Album | Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope

Establish the Work of Our Hands
Porter's Gate Worship Project, 2017 A.D.

If You don't build it, we labor in vain.
Without Your Spirit, we stand with no strength.
I know my life is passing away,
But the works of Your hands are what will remain.

Let the favor of the LORD rest upon us.
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!
Oh LORD, establish the work of our hands!


Teach us to number the length of our days.
Pour out Your power, we'll pour out Your praise.
Teach us to run, to finish the race,
For only what's done in love will remain.
(Chorus)

The Everlasting God
William Murphy, 2016 A.D.

The Lord is my Light and salvation.
Whom shall I fear?
Of whom shall I be afraid? (x2)

I will wait on You, I will wait on You.
I will trust in You, I will trust in You.

I will remain confident in this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord. (x2)

We set our hope on You,
We set our hope on Your love,
We set our hope on the One
Who is the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting God!
You are the everlasting! (x3)

People & Songs, 2017 A.D.

I was hopeless, I knew I was lost.
Death and darkness were my only songs.
I needed someone to come rescue me
Then mercy heard my plea ...

Lord, You found me, You healed me,
You called me from the grave!
You gave me Your real love,
I thank You, Jesus,
You washed my sins away!
Oh, now I'm living like I'm forgiven,
You came and set me free!
That's what Your mercy did for me!


You gave me beauty for my guilty stains
And now I'm living today by His grace.
So excuse me if I can't contain my praise
'Cause I know that I've been changed!
(Chorus)

Every morning mercy will restore me, I will proclaim!
And even if the world should fall before me, I will proclaim!
(Chorus)


Not in a Hurry
United Pursuit Music, 2017 A.D.

Lord, I don’t want to rush on ahead
In my own strength
When You’re right here. (Repeat)

I’m not in a hurry when it comes to Your Spirit,
When it comes to Your presence,
When it comes to Your voice.
I’m learning to listen, just to rest in Your nearness,
I’m starting to notice You are speaking.


Lord, I want to love like You,
I want to feel what You feel,
I want to see what You see.
(Repeat + Chorus 2x)

Open my eyes, I want to see You.
Open my ears, I want to hear You speak.
Tell me Your thoughts, what's on Your mind.
I’ll be Your friend, I want to see through Your eyes,
I want to see through Your eyes. (Chorus 2x)

In Christ Alone
Keith Getty + Stuart Townend, 2001 A.D.

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song.
This Cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my all in all,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
'Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied,
For every sin on Him was laid,
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain.
Then bursting forth in glorious Day,
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine,
Bought with the precious blood of Christ!

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands our destiny!
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand!
'Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand!

Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Is. 6:5-8Dan. 9:4-19Neh. 1:5-10Lk. 23:34

Congregational Prayer

Call: Jesus, would You invite us into the joy of the work You're doing. Help us to see more of what You have made beautiful. Help us to wait and watch with Your eyes as we pray:
Response: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever. Amen.

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer Asking for Jesus' Help
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me.
I want to see. Please reveal to me who You are.
Give me ears to hear You, and understanding for
the Good News You are saying to me today. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus and Each Other
Jesus, by Your Spirit, fill us with Yourself,
the true Bread and Vine. We turn to You now to
unite us, strengthen us, and empower us
to be Your Kingdom family of servants and witnesses
together until You return and make all things new. Amen. 


Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church

Benediction based on Psalm 130:5-7; Ecclesiastes 3:11a; Isaiah 33:17

Wait for the LORD and in His Word put your hope. God has made everything beautiful in its time. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar. Go with the grace and peace of Jesus, the King of kings.

Next sermon audio and liturgy notes: Ecclesiastes Series | Turn Down for What (Me for We)?! (Eccles. 4)

Emmaus City Church is a local church made up of City Groups.

City Group (CG) is a group of 10-30 people – children, women, and men included – who are befriending, serving, and loving a community together in Jesus' name in Worcester. CGs are small enough that people can know you and value you, but large enough to make an impact in communities throughout Worcester. Each CG gets together throughout a month (i.e. dinners, times of prayer or learning from the Story of God in the Bible, acts of service, parties, etc.) to see Worcester become a city of neighbors and friends that showcase Jesus' love and compassion to all. Those who are cautious or curious to hear and see what it means to follow Jesus are just as welcome as those who believe Jesus is Lord and God and seek to follow Him in every area of life.

Current City Groups: Lincoln Street City Group | W.R.A.P. City Group

To connect with one of the City Groups above, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com


Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment