Saturday, December 31, 2022

Auld Lang Syne | The Wonder of Acquaintances & the Friend


"Wonder" artwork by Noemi Picazo based on R.J. Palacio's wonderful book about friendship


Who will be the next acquaintance who takes us on the wonder-filled journey into friendship in 2023?


Are you ready to celebrate a new year?! And during said celebrations, more than likely many of us will listen to or even sing a certain song to close 2022 ... 

Can you not help yourself when "Auld Lang Syne" begins to play? Whenever I hear it, I immediately think of the closing scene in the Christmas film classic "It's a Wonderful Life." Watch the scene again. Makes me tear up each time. What a privilege to be loved by so many and to know your life has value in the place and time you live.

The History of Auld Lang Syne 


"Auld Lang Syne" is a Scottish poem that was written by Robert Burns in 1788 A.D. The title means, "old long since" or "days gone by." The call of the song is to remember the friendships we have been given, some of the greatest gifts we could ever receive in this life of trial and accomplishment, sorrow and joy, sickness and healing. 

Auld Lang Syne Lyrics

Robert Burns, 1788 A.D.

Should old acquaintance be forgot
and never thought upon,
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone?

Is thy sweet heart now grown so cold,
that loving breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
On auld lang syne?

On auld lang syne my Jo,
On auld lang syne,
That thou canst never once reflect,
On auld lang syne?

Friendships are worth reflecting on as we close one year and begin another. I have new acquaintances and steadfast friends that have been precious to me in 2022. I even reflected this past year a little on friendship with the help of Eugene Peterson in "Run with the Horses: Knowing and Naming True Soul Friends." What a gift it is to have friends who are honest with your faults, encouraging with your strengths, and faithful through thick and thin.

Remembering Friends and Considering the Faithful One


And in steadfast and fresh ways, faithful friends give us glimpses of the "friend who is closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24), the love of the greatest Friend "who laid down His life for His friends" (John 15:13). He is the One who is the same yesterday, today, and forever in His friendship to us (Hebrews 13:8).

Jesus' faithfulness to me, my family and friends, Emmaus City, and my neighbors in the city of Worcester continues to be a wonder.  
I wonder at His grace when I don't deserve it. 
I wonder at His call for me to follow Him and His Way even when I don't know where He is leading me next as a minister. 
And in my wonder, I hope and pray my faithfulness becomes more like His in 2023 so that others may receive more of His love through me.

That's why in 2023 I continue to cheer what Kings Kaleidescope have done with their "Auld Lang Syne" remix on the album, "Joy Has Dawned." In remembering the greatest Friend we might have considered too "old long since" from "days gone by" this past year, this ancient and new update of "Auld Lang Syne" reminds us not to forget the Friend who is glorious in how He never leaves us nor forsakes us.

One of my favorite lyrics from the song is " ... Let living water satisfy the thirsty without price! We’ll take a cup of kindness yet all glory be to Christ! ... " This past year I received His cup of kindness again and again. This coming year I pray I get to share more of His kindness with others without price.

All Glory Be to Christ Lyrics (and Video) by Kings Kaleidescope

2012 A.D.

Should nothing of our efforts stand, no legacy survive?
Unless the Lord does raise the house in vain its builders strive.

To you who boast tomorrow’s gain, tell me what is your life?
A mist that vanishes at dawn, all glory be to Christ!

All glory be to Christ our King! All glory be to Christ!
His rule and reign will ever sing, all glory be to Christ!

His will be done, His Kingdom come on earth as is above!
Who is Himself our daily bread, praise Him the Lord of love!

Let living water satisfy the thirsty without price!
We’ll take a cup of kindness yet, all glory be to Christ! (Chorus)

When on the day the great I Am, the faithful and the true,
The Lamb who was for sinners slain is making all things new.

Behold our God shall live with us and be our steadfast light;
And we shall ere His people be all glory be to Christ! (Chorus)


Happy New Year! And cheers to all the acquaintances who will become friends in 2022.

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike “Sully” Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment