Saturday, November 2, 2013

2013 Thriving Summit: John Bryson | Fight to Lead


2013 Thriving Summit Logo Acts 29


2013 THRIVING SUMMIT – REFLECTION #4 | PASTOR John Bryson


Read previous reflections from the 2013 Thriving Summit below:

Reflection #1 | Pastor Eric Mason – Fight for Gospel Truth
Reflection #2 | Pastor H.B. Charles, Jr. – Fight for Maturity and Purity

Reflection #3 | Pastor Crawford Loritts  Fight for Your Walk with God

This is a continuing series reflecting on 4 key discussions given at the 2013 Thriving Summit held in Philadelphia, PA on Friday, October 11 through Saturday, October 12. John Bryson provided the second session on Saturday morning. Notes and reflection are provided below. 

Dr. John Bryson | Saturday, October 12
Matthew 14:13-21 – Fight to Lead


"Leadership is taking the initiative for the benefit of others. Concentrate on being a servant and leadership will rise to the top. Learn how to be led before you lead."


1) Fight to take initiative  Genesis 3:1-6
Embrace your tendency to be passive. Until creation becomes more than it even once was, we contend. Satan lies. He will tell you that you have to go around God to get what you need instead of going to Him.

2) Fight against your self importance 1 Samuel 5-6
God does not need you to do His ministry. Just like He did with the Ark of the Covenant among the Philistines, He will move with power. It's a privilege and honor to join Him in what He is doing. To remember how He does provide for us, we can look at what was in the Ark:

  • Manna – God provides for all your needs in the desert
  • Aaron's rod – God protects you on every side in every way
  • Ten Commandments – God directs how we are to live

3) Fight to value brokenness before God and dependence on God 1 Samuel 7:3-10
You'll never go to Him until you know you need Him. And when He reveals your need and you realize again that all the things you placed your hope in fail you, remember what the Israelites said to Samuel: "Do not cease to cry out to the Lord our God for us, that He may save us..." 

4) Fight to go all in and give your needs to Jesus Matthew 14:13-21   
Just like the disciples did when they saw their inability to feed thousands of people, you will see your inadequacy to meet the needs of others. When you do, go all in. Embrace the moment where if Jesus doesn't show up, you are going to look like an idiot. And then listen for Jesus to say, "Bring what you have to Me."
   
"Just like Jesus does with His disciples:
  • God commands us: '...you give them something to eat...'
  • Then He breaks us: '...we have only five loaves here and two fish...' 
  • He redeems us: '...bring what you have to Me...' 
  • And then He uses us: 'Then He broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. And they all ate and were satisfied.'"

Final Thoughts on John Bryson's "Fight to Lead"

If you've run into me in the last few weeks, more than likely you've heard me share how I needed to hear this talk, especially the last part involving going all in with Jesus. 

It's sad how much I want to be in control. And it's hilarious how, when I take control, I still end up with only "saltines and sardines" to bring before God and the thousands He desires to feed. 

I see the crowd. It's getting late. And I either want to send them away, or I roll up my sleeves and think I can do something for them when Jesus is ready and waiting to give them more than they could ever get from me.

As I forget to realize that this is true over and over again, getting to the point where I actually value my brokenness so I will learn how to go to Jesus seems like an even longer road. And yet, Jesus is willing to walk it with me as He serves me and others around me.

But I want to see Him feed the thousands. If Worcester is a city with 182,000+, I want to see the disciples of Emmaus City have the privilege of God commanding us to feed 1,000+ of those people. And when we're quickly broken and realize we have very little to give, I want to hear Jesus say to us, "Bring what you have to Me." I want to see Him bless our "saltines and sardines" with His powerful intercessory prayer, and then I want to see Him somehow feed the 1,000+ through us. 

We need Jesus. He's with us when we're over confident and when we're insecure. He's asking us to bring what we have to Him. And what He does next...well, I want to see something happen in our city that only He can do. Call me an idiot. But I want to see Jesus show up.

 Sully

Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment