Tuesday, October 29, 2013

2013 Thriving Summit: H.B. Charles, Jr. | Fight for Maturity and Purity

2013 Thriving Summit Question Logo H.B. Charles Jr.

2013 Thriving Summit – Reflection #2 | Pastor H.B. Charles, Jr.


Read previous reflections from the 2013 Thriving Summit below:

Reflection #1 | Pastor Eric Mason Fight for Gospel Truth

This is a continuing series reflecting on 4 key discussions given at the 2013 Thriving Summit held in Philadelphia, PA on Friday, October 11 through Saturday, October 12. H.B. Charles provided the last session on Friday evening. Notes and reflection are provided below.

Rev. H.B. Charles, Jr. | Friday, October 11

1 Timothy 4:11-16 – Fight for Maturity and Purity


The world at its worst needs the church at its best. In order to faithfully proclaim the Word, we need to faithfully practice the Word.

1) Fight for maturity and purity in your spiritual leadership

Spiritual leadership is knowing you are one who is under authority. Tell others what the Word of God tells you to tell yourself and others. And remember, seniority and credibility don't necessarily go together. Be an example and lead by the life you live.

"Teach with the authority Jesus is. Live with the integrity Jesus gives. 'Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.'"




2) Fight for maturity and purity in your public ministry
Preach the Word, and don't rely on your own gifts. The power doesn't come from you. It comes from God His Word and His Spirit. Keep asking yourself, "What am I teaching? How am I living?"
"'Devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.' As you're working this out from His Word, God is working it in you."

3) Fight for maturity and purity in your personal development
Faithful ministry is hard work. Immerse yourself in it. It ought to be obvious that if nothing else is moving or developing, there is obvious evidence that we are growing in the knowledge and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
"'Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.' If Derrick Redmond's father will help him finish his race, how much more will your Heavenly Father help you finish yours? Persist. Then hit repeat until you finish.

Final Thoughts on H.B. Charles Jr.'s "Fight for Maturity and Purity"

Right now, in the early stages of planting a church, it is good to be reminded again that Jesus is at work every day. He is working in and with the people who are joining us. He is working in and with us to reach out to neighbors in our communities He has commanded us to love. And He is working in and with me, regardless of what I can see with my eyes.

I need to hear again and again:

"...It ought to be obvious that if nothing else is moving or developing with Emmaus City to the human eye, there is still obvious evidence that you are growing in the knowledge and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ..."

I truly do need Him every hour. Desperately. I'm so quick to be my own savior or act as my own judge. And I'm my own worst enemy.

I need God to protect me from me, and I need to point others to find their Savior to be Jesus in each and every way. If I want others God has made me responsible for to grow in the knowledge and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, I need to regularly assess if am I doing this in slow times and fast, in good times and bad. 

Is His grace sufficient for me? Yes. Am I teaching this by how I live and speak? God, help me. Am I becoming more like Jesus in my words and actions? God, help me.

Will Emmaus City become more like Jesus together? Only when we immerse ourselves in God's Word and His Spirit, practicing the mercy, grace, and forgiveness together that we see God enacting in His story, and devoting ourselves  publicly and privately  to obeying the words of Jesus for the love of God and each other. 

Then we will grow in our purity and maturity as we grow together as the family of God.

Check back later for Reflection #3 | Crawford Loritts Fight for Your Walk with God

 Sully

Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect.


No comments:

Post a Comment