Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Special | Jesus Always Gives the Bigger and Better Party

 

Summer of Stories: The Bigger & Better Party Video (Luke 14:1, 12-23)

We belong to Jesus' Church where He throws parties in dressing rooms for objectified and trafficked women in a strip club on a slow Monday night. + Pastor Mike Sullivan


Story of God Liturgy Flow w/ Pleasant Street Church
Creation, Crisis, Covenant Community, Christ, Church, (New) Creation


(1) Creation


All Sons and Daughters, 2013 A.D.

You give life, You are love,
You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken.
Great are You, Lord.

It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise,
We pour out our praise.
It's Your breath in our lungs,
So we pour out our praise to You only.

All the earth will shout Your praise,
Our hearts will cry, these bones will sing,
“Great are You, Lord!”

(2) Crisis


Prayer of Confession + Assurance 
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner ...   
Almighty God, in Jesus Christ You love us.
You have opened your heart to us.
You have given us all things ...
but we have squandered Your gifts.
We have grieved You and caused hurt to others
Have mercy on us, O Lord,
Lord, have mercy.
Pardon us through Jesus Christ, our Savior.
Amen.
(We turn to Jesus) He will wipe away every tear from our eyes and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore for the former things have passed away. And He who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new ... these words are trustworthy and true.” + Revelation 21:4-5 

 


(3) Covenant Community


Joel Houston and Taya Smith, 2019 A.D.

There’s a grace when the heart is under fire.
Another way when the walls are closing in,
And when I look at the space between
Where I used to be and this reckoning,
I know I will never be alone.

There was another in the fire,
Standing next to me
There was another in the waters,
Holding back the seas
And should I ever need reminding
Of how I’ve been set free.
There is a cross that bears the burden,
Where another died for me.

All my debt left for dead beneath the waters.
I’m no longer a slave to my sin anymore.
And should I fall in the space between,
What remains of me and this reckoning,
Either way I won’t bow
To the things of this world.
And I know I will never be alone.

There is another in the fire,
Standing next to me.
There is another in the waters,
Holding back the seas.
And should I ever need reminding,
What power set me free,
There is a grave that holds no body
And now that power lives in me.

And I can see the light in the darkness
As the darkness bows to Him.
I can hear the roar in the heavens
As the space between wears thin.
I can feel the ground shake beneath us
As the prison walls cave in.
Nothing stands between us ... 

There is no other name
But the Name that is Jesus.
He who was and still is
And will be through it all.
So come what may in the space between,
All the things unseen and this reckoning.
I know I will never be alone ... 

There’ll be another in the fire
Standing next to me.
There’ll be another in the waters
Holding back the seas.
And should I ever need reminding
How good You’ve been to me.
I’ll count the joy come every battle
‘Cause I know that’s where You’ll be.

(4) Christ


Sermon Video


Sermon Scriptures

Luke 14:1, 12-23

One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, He was being carefully watched. … 

12 … when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind … 

15 “Blessed is the one who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God.” 

16 Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 

18 But they all alike began to make excuses. … 21 …Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’ 

22 “‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’ 

23 Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full.'"

(5) Church


Jeremy Riddle, 2017 A.D.

There was a moment when the lights went out,
When death had claimed its victory.
The King of Love had given up His life,
The darkest day in history.
There on the cross they made for sinners
For every curse His blood atoned.
One final breath and it was finished,
But not the end we could have known.

For the earth began to shake,
And the veil was torn;
What sacrifice was made
As the Heavens roared ... 

All hail King Jesus!
All hail the Lord of Heaven and Earth!
All hail King Jesus!
All hail the Savior of the world!

There was a moment when the sky lit up,
A flash of light breaking through.
When all was lost, He crossed eternity,
The King of Life was on the move.

For in a dark, cold tomb
Where our Lord was laid, 
One miraculous breath,
And we're forever changed ... 
(Chorus)

Let every knee come bow before the King of kings,
Let every tongue confess that He is Lord.
Lift up your shout, let us join with all of Heaven
Singing, "Holy!"
Singing, "Holy!"
Cry out, "Holy!"
Singing, "Holy!"
(Chorus)

(6) New Creation


Benediction 

May God’s love sustain you, 
and may you love those who surround you. 
May God’s Spirit empower you,
and may you empower all those you meet. 
May God’s joy fill your hearts, 
and may this joy overflow to the ends of the earth 
for God’s glory, now and forever.

To connect with us, please contact info@emmauscitychurch.com

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment