Thursday, October 31, 2013

2013 Thriving Summit: Crawford Loritts | Fight for Your Walk with God

2013 Thriving Summit Crawford Loritts Acts 29

 

2013 Thriving Summit – Reflection #3 | Pastor Crawford Loritts


Read previous reflections from the 2013 Thriving Summit below:

Reflection #1 | Pastor Eric Mason Fight for Gospel Truth
Reflection #2 | Pastor H.B. Charles, Jr. Fight for Maturity and Purity

This is a continuing series reflecting on 4 key discussions given at the 2013 Thriving Summit held in Philadelphia, PA on Friday, October 11 through Saturday, October 12. Crawford Loritts provided the first session on Saturday morning. Notes and reflection are provided below.

Dr. Crawford Loritts | Saturday, October 12
Hebrews 12:1-3
– Fight for Your Walk with God



2013 Thriving Summit Crawford Loritts Acts 29"The only reason God blesses you is to give you open hands. Your ministry is meant to be a conduit, not a cul-de-sac. We will never minister beyond our depth and relationship with God. Our resources will run out. His never do."

1) There needs to be a wholeness to our lives and ministry.  
Everything we do is permeated by worship of something or someone. Don't edit the Lord Jesus out of the details big or small in your life. He is the focus of our worship and is the only one who gives us anything in return for our worship.

2) Don't get seduced into thinking your call is your walk with God.

"God will call you to do things you're not competent to do so you will grow in your dependence. Everything you do needs to have the signature of dependency. The impossibilities are pathways into God's sovereignty."

3) Background, education, and experience is no match for the power of God.  
And the response of people does not mean you have the smile and pleasure of God.

"Our usefulness is related to our diligence in the removal of sin. You can control neither the clock nor the calendar. Get on with it. There is never a time to reduce your urgency in your sanctification. Look to Jesus – analyze, contrast, and compare what kept Jesus going to what keeps you going. And remember, accuracy and rightness does not mean you are being transformed into looking like Jesus. It's '...not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit' says the Lord."

4) Don't make assumptions about the power of God.  
Be intentional with the power of the Spirit of God. The principles are not the power. The Holy Spirit is the power. According to John 16, the Holy Spirit is powerful in:

– Convicting us of sin and righteousness
– Leading us into all truth
– Glorifying the Lord Jesus in us and through us

We are commanded to be controlled by the Holy Spirit continuously. "You will be my witnesses..." is a statement. If we have been given His Spirit, we are His witnesses. But what or who are we witnessing to? Does the world say, "Wow, whatever or whoever is leading that person or that church doesn't come from anything I've seen in this world."?

 

Final Thoughts on Crawford Loritts' "Fight for Your Walk with God"

Crawford Loritts' message was full of good, strong warnings from a man who has served the Lord faithfully for nearly 40 years. He spoke from a deep reservoir of passion, conviction, and memories of the pitfalls he himself and others he's known and loved have fallen into. 

I greatly appreciated many of this thoughts, and continue to feel conviction in reflecting on the message. How many times do I try to pull back or find a solution on my own when I face a situation that requires God's strength and interaction? Far too often. I turn to my own strength rather than the power of praying and trusting the Spirit of God to move.

God has already called me to things that I'm not competent to do. But despite the fact that I've preached on prayer recently, have written about conviction for prayer, and organized how Emmaus City will need to pray, I am still guilty of editing Jesus and the Spirit out of the details of my day-in and day-out living. 

I too quickly turn to my own knowledge and strength instead of to the Spirit's power to work in my life and the life of others. And yet all I desire for myself, for my family, for Emmaus City, for our neighborhoods, and for our city, is what the Spirit of God has come to do: 


– Convict us of sin and righteousness
– Lead us into all truth
– Glorify the Lord Jesus in us and through us

What kept Jesus holy and wholly motivated in walking with God and in others in love? The Holy Spirit. And Jesus, by His grace, has made us His witnesses by giving us His Spirit. We are His body. It's our identity. But do I live from this identity?

How incredible He would call me to be His witness with what little I have to offer? And yet, through Him, how amazing are the things that He has done, is doing, and will do?! 

I need, just like Jesus needed, the Spirit of God to inspire me and move me by faith to live and walk with Him in light of what He can do in me and with Emmaus City. 

This is the truth He has called all of us to turn to again and again. And we need to turn (aka "repent") by His Spirit to be reminded of to fight sin, seek His righteousness, and glorify Him. Continuously.

Check back tomorrow for my final thoughts on the 2013 Thriving Summit: Reflection #4 | John Bryson Fight to Lead

 Sully

Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment