Wednesday, August 8, 2018

4 Gs of God Series | Psalm 145:1-3: God is Great: We're Free Not to Be in Control + Saturday, August 4




If God's greatness is unsearchable, we are set free to talk, work, sing, and live like there is a God who is mindful of us, who has done and continues to do great, unsearchable things in and through Jesus, and continues to tell us about great, unsearchable things He is doing in us.


Key Question:
When do I think I need to be (and act like I'm) in control and why? How does God's unsearchable greatness humble me instead to look to Him to reign in my good and bad circumstances and feelings?

+ Substitute Idol: I have to be my redeemer; I need to feel like I am in control in most situations in life, if not all, in order for them to turn out well.
+ Worship Response: I don't tend to be very flexible with my plans, and I'm not much for taking risks for the sake of others. I'm very impatient with people if they don't follow my advice. I also tend to avoid responsibilities I'm not interested in or would have to sacrifice for, and tend to be overbearing with those who I think should be responsive to me.

+ Jesus: Jesus is the Great Redeemer who can transform even what was meant for evil into something good; He leads me better than I can lead myself and sets me free from being enslaved to self protection.
+ Worship Response: God is more worthy of my worship because of His greatness to handle any situation and transform it, which means I can rest in His control.


Video: Mark's Story | God is Great (3:25 minutes)

"I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller (G.K. Chesterton)." We invite you to the history-altering, world-restoring, personally-transforming Story of God found in the Gospel: the Good News that Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us, come to redeem and restore what we have broken; heal us; and bring His Kingdom of justice, mercy, and peace to our world. Check out the Story of God.

Questions as You Consider Jesus

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Homily Scriptures | Psalm 145:1-3; Job 9:8-10; Jeremiah 33:2-3; Ephesians 3:8-10; John 21:25

Prayers of Preparation for Eucharist
Matthew 26:26-291 Corinthians 11:23-26

Prayer seeking more from Jesus
Jesus, You claim to be the Way,
the Truth and the Life.
If what You claim is true,
please reveal to me who You are.
Give me an understanding of You
that is clear and convincing. Amen.

Prayer for Communion with Jesus
Jesus, grant that we may be filled
by You, the true Bread and Vine.
Be present with us, strengthen us,
and empower us to be Your witnesses
together as we seek first Your Kingdom
until You return and make all things new. Amen.


Most High God
Kofi Thompson & Crown of Glory, 2010 A.D.

All other gods,
they are the works of men.
You are the most high God,
There is none like You!
Jehovah, You are the most high!
You are the most high God!

Jehovah, eh-eh! Jehovah, ah-ah!
Jehovah, eh-eh! You are the most high God!


You are good and Your mercy is forever,
Hallelujah!

St. Francis of Assisi, Early 1200s A.D.
West Coast Revival

All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing
“O praise Him! Allelujah!”
Thou, burning sun with golden beam,
Thou, silver moon with softer gleam.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

Let all things their Creator bless
And worship Him in humbleness.
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, Three-in-One.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

All the redeemed washed by His blood
Come and rejoice in His great love.
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Christ has defeated every sin.
Cast all your burdens now on Him.
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

He shall return in power to reign
Heaven and earth will join to say
O praise Him! Allelujah!
Then who shall fall on bended knee?
All creatures of our God and King
O praise Him! O praise Him!
Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!

Judson W. Van DeVenter, 1896 A.D.

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.


All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow;
Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
(Refrain)

All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
(Refrain)

All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
(Refrain)


The Anthem
Planetshakers, 2013 A.D.

Hallelujah,
You have won the victory!
Hallelujah,
You have won it all for me!

Death could not hold You down!
You are the risen King
Seated in majesty,
You are the risen King!


By His stripes we are healed,
By His nail-pierced hands we're free.
By His blood, we're washed clean,
Now we have the victory.

The power of sin is broken,
Jesus overcame it all.
He has won our freedom,
Jesus has won it all.

Homily Prayer of Response
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Jesus, You are our great King of kings;
You can even redeem what we intend for evil
and transform it for good.

Response:
Forgive us trying to control life
without You. Humble us to follow You and
lay down our pride.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Thank You, Jesus, that Your greatness
truly is unsearchable, that every promise
from God is "Yes!" in You. We give up
our control and pray as You taught us:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.


Benediction 

As Jesus said, "You will receive power
when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be My witnesses ... "
So you are sent out in the strength
and peace of the Holy Spirit of God to
welcome, witness, and worship so
the Gospel Story of God will be heard,
believed, and revealed to many more.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God the Father,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment