Thursday, May 17, 2018

Sermon on the Mount Series | Matthew 6:1-8: Our Father Knows + Saturday, May 12, 2018






In relation to God our Father ... Jesus is appealing to how people listen to this good Father who graciously gives life in His Kingdom. He looks to the ethic above (King Jesus revealing the Father’s will) wrapped inside with the ethic from beyond (the King bringing in the Kingdom and its justice). + Scot McKnight


Old Testament Scriptures | Psalm 116:1-9
New Testament Scriptures | Matthew 6:1-8

Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Our Father, You know us
and You love us. Thank You for
everything we need, including Jesus.
Help us to fast from what we feed
off of more than the Bread of Life
You have given us in Your Son.

Response: May we know Your
forgiveness afresh and be satisfied,
and may we forgive others with the same
compassion, power, grace, and truth.
We repent and turn to You again
for You have brought Your
Kingdom of power and prayer near.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession

Call: Thank You Father that You know what
we pray even before we pray it. Thank You
that You have given us what we need in Jesus.
We remember how He taught us to pray to You:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.

Spirituality Questions

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church


How Deep the Father's Love for Us
Stuart Townend
1995 A.D.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call our among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life,
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart –
His wounds have paid my ransom!

How He Loves
By John Mark McMillan
2010 A.D.

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane,
I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight
Of His wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden
I am unaware of these
Afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just
How beautiful You are
And how great
Your affections are for me!

And oh, how He loves us,
Oh, how He loves us,
How He loves us all!

(Repeat Verse and Chorus)

And we are His portion,
And He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption
By the grace in His eyes!
If His grace is an ocean,
We're all sinking!
And heaven meets earth
Like an unforeseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently
Inside of my chest;
I don't have time to
Maintain these regrets
When I think about the way:
(Chorus)

Nothing I Hold Onto (Climb This Mountain)
By United Pursuit Band
2010 A.D.

I lean not on
My own understanding,
My life is in the hands
Of the Maker of Heaven.

I give it all to You, God,
Trusting that You'll make
Something beautiful out of me!

I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open,
I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open!

There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to!

Be Thou My Vision
St. Dallán Forgaill
6th Century

Be Thou my Vision,
O Lord of my heart.
Naught be all else to me,
Save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought,
By day or by night
Waking or sleeping,
Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom,
And Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and
Thou with me, Lord.
Thou my great Father,
I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling,
And I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not,
Nor man’s empty praise.
Thou mine inheritance,
Now and always!
Thou and Thou only,
First in my heart,
High King of Heaven,
My Treasure Thou art!

High King of Heaven,
My victory won!
May I reach Heaven’s joys,
O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart,
Whate’er befall,
Still be my Vision,
O Ruler of all!

Rock of Ages
Augustus M. Toplady
1776 A.D.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All could never sin erase,
Thou must save, and save by grace.

Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

No Longer Slaves
By Bethel Music
2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.
No, I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.

From my mothers womb,
You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins.
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned
In perfect love!
You rescued me
so I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 26
1563 A.D.

Q. What do you believe when you say,
“I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth”?

A. That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who out of nothing created heaven and earth
and everything in them, 1
who still upholds and rules them
by His eternal counsel and providence, 2
is my God and Father
because of Christ the Son. 3
I trust God so much that I do not doubt
He will provide whatever I need
for body and soul, 4
and will turn to my good
whatever adversity He sends upon me
in this sad world. 5
God is able to do this
because He is almighty God 6
and desires to do this
because He is a faithful Father. 7

1 Gen. 1-2; Ex. 20:11; Ps. 33:6; Isa. 44:24; Acts 4:24; 14:15
2 Ps. 104; Matt. 6:30; 10:29; Eph. 1:11
3 John 1:12-13; Rom. 8:15-16; Gal. 4:4-7; Eph. 1:5
4 Ps. 55:22; Matt. 6:25-26; Luke 12:22-31
5 Rom. 8:28
6 Gen. 18:14; Rom. 8:31-39
7 Matt. 7:9-11

Sermon on the Mount Benediction 
Based on Matthew 5-7

King Jesus, please bless us to embrace the joy
You give us in our brokenness and mourning,
eternal blessing that humbles the might,
intellect, and comforts of this current world.
Transform us into Your Kingdom community
through the crucible of Your way of the cross.
Write Your Kingdom rule and reign on our hearts
making us pure by Your perfect love, mercy, and justice.
May a watching world see Your light, taste Your salt,
and be welcomed into Your city on a hill through us.
Embolden us to be Your Kingdom ambassadors,
change agents who display the Good News You offer.
Make us decrease so that You might increase.
Stir in us Your grace, compassion, and sacrifice
for those who would seek to marginalize
and silence us because of You.
Everything we need is Yours to give us.
You are the treasure that we desperately seek.
You invite us home as prodigals
returning to our Father’s embrace;
Your prayer for the Kingdom coming
provides the answer to all our longings.
Free us of any fear, distraction, craving, or anxiety
that would keep us from fully following You
and building our lives on the Rock that is Your Word.
By Your Holy Spirit, keep us on
Your path of justice and righteousness.
It is with You, King Jesus, that hope is secure,
for us and all of creation, now and forever.

Now go in the blessing and name of King Jesus
by the power of His personally-transforming
grace and world-restoring peace. Amen.


Next sermon audio and liturgy: Sermon on the Mount | Matthew 6:9-18: Kingdom Prayer and Power 

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment