Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Sermon on the Mount Series | Matthew 6:9-18: Kingdom Prayer and Power + Saturday, May 26, 2018






Prayer is perfect activity because it is done for no other purpose than itself. We pray to the one whom Jesus has made known, and so we learn to pray by following Jesus, who is the Father's prayer for us. Prayer, like Jesus, makes the Father's will known, and the Father wills that we learn to pray. + Stanley Hauerwas


The Lord's Prayer is an abridgement of the entire Gospel. + Tertullian, early 200s A.D. 

There may never have been another prayer written that was not already contained in the Pater ("Our Father" or "Lord's Prayer"). + Simone Weil

Blog posts on the Lord's Prayer:

Simply Good News | Praying the Good News of the Lord's Prayer by N.T. Wright 
The Divine Conspiracy | The Grandest Prayer of All is the Lord's Prayer by Dallas Willard 
Our Father | Reflections on the Lord's Prayer by Pope Francis 
How Shall We Pray? | Ethical Implications of the Lord's Prayer by Anna Case-Winters 
The Lord's Prayer | God's Will on Earth in Us and Through Us as it is in Heaven by Stanley Hauerwas

Old Testament Scriptures | Psalm 118:19-26
New Testament Scriptures | Matthew 6:9-18

Spirituality Questions

Are you curious? Consider asking someone a question or two about Jesus and Christian spirituality even if you don't believe.

Are you open? Consider your emotional and spiritual needs, and step into asking if Jesus can meet them and help you.

Are you searching? Consider exploring more about Jesus even if you are not sure who He is; example: "If I could ask Jesus one honest question that would help me trust Him, what would I ask?"

Are you beginning to believe? Consider how your life would be transformed if you followed Jesus. Ask God to help you understand the Good News that through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, He is restoring everything sin has ruined in your life and in the world.


Lord's Prayer | Praying for Jesus' Kingdom Impact in Us and in Worcester

Eucharist | Thanking God for Communion with Christ and His Church


Crown Him with Many Crowns
By Matthew Bridges and Godfrey Thring
1851 A.D.

Crown Him with many crowns,
The Lamb upon His throne,
Hark! how the heavenly anthem drowns
All music but its own!
Awake, my soul, and sing
Of Him who died for thee,
And hail Him as thy matchless King
Through all eternity!

Crown Him the Lord of life,
Who triumphed o'er the grave,
And rose victorious in the strife
For those He came to save!
His glories now we sing,
Who died, and rose on high,
Who died, eternal life to bring,
And lives that death may die!

Crown Him the Lord of peace,
Whose power a scepter sways
From pole to pole, that wars may cease,
And all be prayer and praise!
His reign shall know no end,
And round His pierced feet
Fair flowers of paradise extend
Their fragrance ever sweet!

Crown Him the Lord of love;
Behold His hands and side,
Those wounds, yet visible above,
In beauty glorified!
All hail, Redeemer, hail!
For Thou hast died for me;
Thy praise and glory shall not fail
Throughout eternity!

We Have Come (Bless the Lord)
By Will Reagan and United Pursuit Band
2010 A.D.

We have come to give You glory!
We have come to give You praise!

You’re welcome in this place!
You’re welcome in this place!
You’re welcome in this place!

Have Your way, have Your way,
Have Your way!

Bless the Lord, oh my soul,
And let all that’s within me shout out!
It’s only You we want.

Before the Throne of God Above
Charitie Lees Bancroft
1860 A.D.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands!
My name is written on His heart!
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free!
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace.
One with Himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased by His blood!
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God!
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Jesus I Come
By William Sleeper
1887 A.D.

Out of my bondage, sorrow and night,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy freedom, gladness, and light,
Jesus, I come to Thee;
Out of my sickness, into Thy health,
Out of my wanting and into Thy wealth,
Out of my sin and into Thyself,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of my shameful failure and loss,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into the glorious gain of Thy cross,
Jesus, I come to Thee;
Out of earth’s sorrows, into Thy balm,
Out of life’s storms and into Thy calm,
Out of distress into jubilant psalm,
Jesus, I come to Thee.

Out of unrest and arrogant pride,
Jesus, I come, Jesus, I come;
Into Thy blessed will to abide,
Jesus, I come to Thee;
Out of myself to dwell in Thy love,
Out of despair, into raptures above,
Upward for aye on wings like a dove,
Jesus, I come to Thee.


Revelation Song
By Phillips, Craig, and Dean
2009 A.D.

Worthy is the
Lamb who was slain,
Holy, Holy, is He.
Sing a new song, to Him who sits on
Heaven's Mercy Seat.

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come!
With all creation I sing:
Praise to the King of Kings!
You are my everything,
And I will adore You!


Clothed in rainbows of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder;
Blessing and honor, strength and
Glory and power be
To You the only wise King!
(Chorus)

Filled with wonder,
Awestruck wonder
At the mention of Your Name.
Jesus, Your Name is Power,
Bread, and Living Water
Such a marvelous mystery!
(Chorus)

Just a Closer Walk with Thee
African American Spiritual
1800s A.D.

Just a closer walk with Thee, 
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, 
Daily walking close to Thee, 
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be. 

I am weak, but Thou art strong, 
Jesus, keep me from all wrong, 
I’ll be satisfied as long 
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee. 

Through this world of toil and snares, 
If I falter, Lord, who cares? 
Who with me my burden shares? 
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. 

When my feeble life is o’er, 
Time for me will be no more, 
Guide me gently, safely o’er 
To Thy Kingdom's shore, to Thy shore.

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 123
1563 A.D.

Q. What does "Your Kingdom come" mean?
A. “Your Kingdom come” means:
Rule us by Your Word and Spirit
in such a way that more and
more we submit to You. 1
Preserve Your Church and make it grow. 2
Destroy the devil’s work; destroy every force
which revolts against You and
every conspiracy against Your holy Word. 3
Do this until Your Kingdom fully comes,
when You will be all in all. 4


1 Psalm 119:5, 105; 143:10; Matthew 6:33
2 Psalm 122:6-9; Matthew 16:18; Acts 2:42-47
3 Romans 16:20; 1 John 3:8
4 Romans 8:22-23; 1 Corinthian 15:28;
Revelation 22:17, 20


Corporate Prayer of Confession and Assurance
Isaiah 6:5-8Daniel 9:4-19Nehemiah 1:5-10Luke 23:34

Call: Our Father, You know us
and You love us. Thank You for
everything we need, including Jesus.
Help us to fast from what we feed
off of more than the Bread of Life
You have given us in Your Son.

Response: May we know Your
forgiveness afresh and be satisfied,
and may we forgive others with the same
compassion, power, grace, and truth.
We repent and turn to You again
for You have brought Your
Kingdom of power and prayer near.

Silent Personal Reflection and Confession


Call: Thank You Father that You know what
we pray even before we pray it. Thank You
that You have given us what we need in Jesus.
We remember how He taught us to pray to You:

Response: Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil for Thine is the
Kingdom and the power and the glory
now and forever. Amen.

Sermon on the Mount Benediction 
Based on Matthew 5-7

King Jesus, please bless us to embrace the joy
You give us in our brokenness and mourning,
eternal blessing that humbles the might,
intellect, and comforts of this current world.
Transform us into Your Kingdom community
through the crucible of Your way of the cross.
Write Your Kingdom rule and reign on our hearts
making us pure by Your perfect love, mercy, and justice.
May a watching world see Your light, taste Your salt,
and be welcomed into Your city on a hill through us.
Embolden us to be Your Kingdom ambassadors,
change agents who display the Good News You offer.
Make us decrease so that You might increase.
Stir in us Your grace, compassion, and sacrifice
for those who would seek to marginalize
and silence us because of You.
Everything we need is Yours to give us.
You are the treasure that we desperately seek.
You invite us home as prodigals
returning to our Father’s embrace;
Your prayer for the Kingdom coming
provides the answer to all our longings.
Free us of any fear, distraction, craving, or anxiety
that would keep us from fully following You
and building our lives on the Rock that is Your Word.
By Your Holy Spirit, keep us on
Your path of justice and righteousness.
It is with You, King Jesus, that hope is secure,
for us and all of creation, now and forever.

Now go in the blessing and name of King Jesus
by the power of His personally-transforming
grace and world-restoring peace. Amen.


Next sermon audio and liturgy: Sermon on the Mount | Matthew 6:19-24: What Do You Treasure?

Christ is all,

Rev. Mike "Sully" Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment