Friday, June 30, 2017

Abide in Jesus: Rest, God's Got This + June 24, 2017






We get to breathe in God as we rest in His creation, and we get to breathe out (groan) with God as we rest in His redemption.


Jim Mullins, What is Sabbath?:

+ Delighting in that Somebody’s work always precedes your work. 
+ Seeing that we are not God. Our work ceases, but the world does not. 
+ Praying & playing — approaching both with the same weight and intentionality of our most important work. 
+ Playing in the mud before cultivating the soil. 
+ Protesting Pharoah’s oppression and pledging allegiance to God's justice instead of the world's quotas. 
+ A day of only dropping a mustard seed and trusting it will grow into a massive tree of rest.

Sabbath-keeping is a form of mending. It's mortar in the joints. Keep Sabbath, or else break too easily, and oversoon. Keep it, otherwise our dustiness consumes us, becomes us, and we end up able to hold exactly nothing. ... 'Be still, and know that I am God.' Some knowing is never pursued, only received. And for that, you need to be still. + Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God

I am poor, in that I do not know how to love myself if I am not actively giving something. I am poor, in that I do not know if I have the strength to see the kingdom of God as it was meant to be played out. I am starving. I am weeping. I am oppressed by a world that runs in opposition to the dreams of God. And only when I recognize how poor I really am do I start to understand that I am right where I need to be. + D.L. Mayfield, Assimilate or Go Home 

Bible Passages | Genesis 1:26-27, 2:7, 1:28-2:3; Romans 8:22-29

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those
Who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil.
(For Thine is the Kingdom,
The power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.)
+ Matthew 6:9-13

Come Thou Fount
By Robert Robinson
1758. A.D.

Come Thou fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace.
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above.
I'll praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it;
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by thy help I come.
And I hope by thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wondering from the fold of God.
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee!
Prone to wander Lord I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love!
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above!

Relentless
By Hillsong
2012 A.D.

Salvation sounds a new beginning
As distant hearts begin believing.
Redemption's bid is unrelenting,
Your love goes onYour love goes on!

You carry us, carry us
When the world gives way!
You cover us, cover us
With Your endless grace!
Your love is relentless (x4)!

The time is up for chasing shadows,
You gave the world the Light to follow,
A hope that shines beyond tomorrow,
Your love goes onYour love goes on!
(Chorus)

Tearing through the veil of darkness,
Breaking every chain, You set us free!
Fighting for the furthest heart You gave
Your life for all to see!

You carry us, carry us
(Your love is relentless)!
You cover us, cover us
(Your love is relentless)!

God I Look to You
By Bethel Music
2013 A.D.

God I look to You
And I won’t be overwhelmed.
Give me vision
To see things like You do.

God I look to You,
You’re where my help comes from.
Give me wisdom,
You know just what to do.

And I will love You, Lord, my Strength!
And I will love You, Lord, my Shield!
And I will love You, Lord, my Rock!
Forever all my days, I will love YouGod!

Hallelujah! Our God reigns!
Forever all my days, Hallelujah!

No Longer Slaves
By Bethel Music
2015 A.D.

You unravel me with a melody,
You surround me with a song
Of deliverance from my enemies
'Til all my fears are gone.

Now I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.
No, I'm no longer a slave to fear.
I am a child of God.

From my mothers womb,
You have chosen me.
Love has called my name.
I've been born again into Your family,
Your blood flows through my veins.
(Chorus)

Woah, Woah ...

You split the sea
So I could walk right through it!
My fears were drowned
In perfect love!
You rescued me
So I can stand and sing
"I am a child of God!"

Bethel Music
2017 A.D.

Before I spoke a word,
You were singing over me.
You have been so, so good to me.
Before I took a breath,
You breathed Your life in me.
You have been so, so kind to me.

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!
It chases me down,
Fights 'til I'm found,
Leaves the ninety-nine!
I couldn't earn it, and
I don't deserve it,
Still You give Yourself away!
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending
Reckless love of God!

When I was your foe,
Still Your love fought for me.
You have been so, so good to me.
When I felt no worth,
You paid it all for me.
You have been so, so kind to me.
(Chorus)

There's no shadow You won't light up,
Mountain You won't climb up,
Coming after me!
There's no wall You won't kick down,
Lie You won't tear down,
Coming after me!
(Chorus)

By United Pursuit Band
2010 A.D.

I lean not on
My own understanding,
My life is in the hands
Of the Maker of Heaven.

I give it all to You, God,
Trusting that You'll make
Something beautiful out of me!

I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open,
I will climb this mountain
With my hands wide open!

There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to,
There is nothing I hold on to!

H Catechism Q&A 103
1563 A.D.

Q: What does God require in 4th commandment?
A: ... that all the days of my life I rest from my evil works, let the LORD work in me through His Holy Spirit, and so begin in this life the eternal Sabbath.

Benediction

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it. + 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

+ Sully


No comments:

Post a Comment