Monday, September 15, 2014

Emmaus City Liturgy | Sunday, September 7, 2014 – 1 Peter Sermon Series | The Comeback: How Grace and Peace Are Multiplied to You

Emmaus City Worcester MA Acts 29 Soma 1 Peter Sermon Series 2014 Network of Missional Communities

 

Emmaus City Liturgy – 1 Peter Sermon Series: The Comeback: How Grace and Peace Are Multiplied to You | Acts 2, 1 Peter 1:1-2 


Acts 2, 1 Peter 1:1-2 | The Comeback Sermon Audio:


For previous sermon series notes and audio, click on the links below:


This post will feature themes, verses, hymns and songs (audio and lyrics), and prayers that complement the sermon text. Key notes from the sermons will also be included.

Curious to know more? Want to spend some time with us? Don't hesitate. Contact us and come join us. In the meantime, enjoy the readings and listening to the songs below.

THANKING GOD | WORSHIP THROUGH CELEBRATION, PRAYER, AND SONG

Sharing Moments of Gospel Celebration

  Prayer of Thanksgiving and The Lord’s Prayer
From Jesus in Matthew 6:9-13

Our Father in heaven, may Your name be kept holy.
May Your Kingdom come, may Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
 
Give us today the food we need, and 
Forgive us our sins as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from evil.
(For Yours is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever. Amen.) 


 

All my life long I had panted
For a drink from some cool spring
That I hoped would
Quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within. 

Hallelujah! He has found me,
the One my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies all my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved!
 

Feeding on the filth around me,
‘Till my strength was almost gone.
Longed my soul
For something better,
Only still to hunger on.
(Repeat Chorus) 

Poor I was and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy,
But the dust I gathered ‘round me
Only mocked my soul’s sad cry.
(Repeat Chorus) 

Well of water ever springing,
Bread of Life so rich and free;
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me!
(Repeat Chorus)


RECEIVING JESUS
| WORSHIP THROUGH LISTENING AND PRAISING

Acts 2 | 1 Peter 1:1-2 | 1 Peter Sermon Series: The Comeback
How Grace and Peace Are Multiplied to You


 Sermon Texts

Acts 2
1 Peter 1:1-2 

Sermon Notes 

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ: … according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with His blood:  May grace and peace be multiplied to you. – 1 Peter 1:1-2

Whether you like sports, art, or politics, a comeback story is one that resonates throughout human cultures. It’s not only what a person or a group comes back from, it’s who they come back for.

With Jesus providing the ultimate comeback from death and the sins of many, how could His Church not do the same? Throughout His ministry, He performed miracles for thousands, and he died for a number of people who will match the number of stars according to God’s promise to Abraham in Genesis 15. But only 500 watched him ascend, and 10 days later, only 120 waited in Jerusalem for the power He had promised, the Counselor, the Comforter, the Holy Spirit. And they were being led by someone who denied him three times before he died.

“ … ‘If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me. These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. … And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment … When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.” – John 14:23-25; John 16:8, 13-14



1) The Comeback | Takes Crucial Courage (Peter Speaks about the Cross of Jesus by the Power of the Holy Spirit | People Must Respond to the Cross of Jesus by the Power of the Holy Spirit)

Though Peter had once told Jesus to stop talking about the cross, and denied Jesus before the cross, He now understood the necessity of the cross. And the Spirit would give him the power to speak of Jesus' death and resurrection before many.

“And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high. … But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” – Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8
 
“ … Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. This Jesus God raised up, and of that we are all witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. …” – Read Acts 2 (Acts 2:30-33)

"It's the Spirit's life in us that enables us to trust in Jesus as our Savior (faith) and submit to Jesus as our Lord (repentance). And it's the Spirit's life in us that enables us to grow in our faith and obedience. ... 'God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him' (Philippians 2:13).
  • The Father is intimately involved in our lives so that our circumstances train us in godliness.
  • The Son has set us free from both the penalty and the power of sin so that we now live under the reign of grace. 
  • The Spirit gives us a new attitude toward sin and a new power to change. 
The combined forces of the Trinity are at work in our lives to set us free and make us holy." – Tim Chester 

We see Peter had the courage to believe this in his message in Acts 2:14-39 and in his introduction in 1 Peter 1:1-2. How? Because he wasn't relying on his past mistakes or triumphs, his current ability or strength. He was relying on the One who saved him and the One he sent to him to empower him to be a witness to all of the diverse people in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost.

  • Have you thought about the cross of Jesus in relation to your life whether you have ignored it, denied it, or are coming to understand its significance?
  • Who do you turn to for strength when you feel the need to engage with Jesus?
  • What would it mean to you if the Father, Son, and Spirit are all engaged in setting you free?


2) The Comeback | Takes Considerable Cost (Peter Pleads for the People | Jesus Pursues Us Through Death to Life) 

"When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off — for all whom the Lord our God will call.” With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. – Acts 2:37:41 
In one of my all-time favorite movies, there is a comeback speech. In the movie, a person is on trial in the court of public opinion. He has chosen to speak the truth about the dangers of cigarettes, but CBS who owns 60 Minutes is afraid to air it in case they get sued. It’s a wonderful depiction of the cost of truth and the integrity and courage to defend it as the ultimate value it is.
The Insider
Directed by Michael Mann 


(Heads up: Profanity at :45, 2:08-2:10, 2:23-2:24, 3:18-19)
Key Quotes

“And what are you implying?  // I’m not implying, I’m quoting.” 
“You’re questioning our journalistic integrity. // No, I’m questioning your hearing.” 
“And Jeffrey Wigandt, who’s out on a limb, does he go on television and tell the truth? Yes. Is it newsworthy? Yes. Are we going to air it? Of course not. Why? Because he’s not telling the truth? No, because he is telling the truth. That’s why we’re not going to air it. And the more truth he tells, the worse it gets.” //  “You are a fanatic, an anarchist, you know that? If we can’t have a whole show, then I want half a show rather than no show. But, oh no. Not you. You won’t be satisfied unless you’re putting the company at risk!”
“What are you? Are you a business man or are you a news man? … These people are putting our whole reason for doing what we do on the line.”
  • Is Christianity a business to be sold or a message to be heard according to Peter's willingness to step out in hostile Jerusalem and lay the blame of Jesus' death on all who are listening? 
  • If it is a message to be heard, how far are we willing to go to make sure it is heard in our neighborhoods and city?
  • If the good news of Jesus is the truth, how are you pleading with yourself and others to believe it by your words and actions?

3) The Comeback | Takes Communal Compassion (Peter to Shepherd People Sent Out from Jerusalem | Father, Son, and Spirit Continue to Shepherd Us)

"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.
The mixed assembly from which the first converts were gathered on the day of Pentecost represented each division of the Dispersion. (Acts 2:9-11)  … these converts naturally prepared the way for the apostles in the interval which preceded the beginning of the separate apostolic missions. St. James and St. Peter both wrote to them. 

Just like God worked to suffer with us and for us, Peter now works to suffer with believers dispersed throughout the land to continue to move forward in declaring and displaying the gospel. He first begins his encouragement by pointing back to the fact that God had a plan, and He marked it in time to be accomplished (see Leviticus 23 for reference: Passover (Crucifixion) // Feast of Firstfruits (Resurrection) // Feast of Weeks (Pentecost). All three persons of the triune Godhead are active in the salvation for all who believe: the Father purposes the saving work, the Son accomplishes the work by His blood, and the Spirit applies the work of the Son to those who called to God as Father as His sons and daughters.

  • Who will we be faithfully courageous in sharing the gospel with? 
  • How will we count the cost of declaring Jesus is Lord for us and for them? 
  • And for those who receive Jesus, how will we suffer alongside them as He suffered for us?

    It Is Well with My Soul
    By Horatio Spafford
    1873 A.D.  




     When peace, like a river,
    Attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot,
    Thou hast taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well with my soul!

    It is well with my soul,
    It is well, it is well with my soul!
     

    Though Satan should buffet,
    Though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ has regarded

    My helpless estate,
    And has shed
    His own blood for my soul!
     

    (Repeat Refrain) 

    My sin—oh, the bliss
    Of this glorious thought!—
    My sin, not in part but the whole
    Is nailed to the cross,

    And I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord,
    Praise the Lord, O my soul!
    (Repeat Refrain)


    RECEIVING JESUS | WORSHIP THROUGH CONFESSION AND COMMUNION 

    H Q/A 1 (1563): What is your only comfort in life and in death? 

    That I am not my own, but belong – body and soul, in life and in death – to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to Him, Christ, by His Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for Him.

      Emmaus City's Purpose and Prayers for Communion 

    BEING SENT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT | WORSHIP THROUGH PRAISE, MISSION, AND BLESSING
    Glorious Grace
    By Austin Stone Music
    2014 A.D.

     

    God I need You, I need You,
    I need You,
    Every breath, every pulse

    Of my heart.
    Christ have mercy, have mercy,

    Let mercy abound,
    I need you, I need you now.

    God pour out Your grace, 
    Glorious grace
    That I would be held
    By Your perfect embrace!
     I am undeserving,
    You are high and worthy, 
    All of my praise 
    For this glorious grace! 

    God I’m longing,
    I’m longing to see You,
    In Your presence
    All darkness will fade.
    Shine Your glory, Your glory,
    Let glory surround,
    I’m longing to see You now. 
    (Repeat Chorus) 

    Bridge:
    God Your grace like rising seas 
    Has swallowed death 
    And sin in me! 
    Out of darkness into light 
    My soul, my soul, 
    I’m raised to life!

    Glory to my God who saves, 
    Jesus Christ, 
    My glorious grace! 
    Glory to my God who saves, 
    Jesus Christ, 
    My glorious grace! 

    God I worship, I worship,
    I worship You
    For Your glory, my all in all.
    You are worthy, You’re worthy, You’re worthy,
    I worship, I worship You.
    God I need You, I need You now.
     
    1896 A.D.




    All to Jesus I surrender;
    All to Him I freely give!
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live! 

    I surrender all, I surrender all;
    All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
     

    All to Jesus I surrender;
    Humbly at His feet I bow,
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
    Take me, Jesus, take me now. 

    All to Jesus I surrender;
    Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
    Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
    Truly know that Thou art mine.

    All to Jesus I surrender;
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power;
    Let Thy blessing fall on me. 

    All to Jesus I surrender;
    Now I feel the sacred flame.
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!


    Benediction 

    “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power forever and ever. Amen.” – 1 Peter 5:6-7, 10-11

     Sully

    Curiosity piqued? Something inside you being stirred? Go ahead and connect. For other updates, like and follow Emmaus City on Facebook.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment